Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 6:59pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Imitrex Rebounds »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2002 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Imitrex Rebounds
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Imitrex Rebounds  (Read 701 times)
BlairH

Email

Imitrex Rebounds
« on: Feb 19th, 2002, 10:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I would like information on Imitrex rebound headaches. I have been a clusterhead since I was 17 (30 years) and am in a cycle now. I have been using Imitrex 50mg tablets for 2 previous episodes prior to this one and it works better than any treatment I have tried. My pharmacist asked me if I knew about rebound headaches at the end of my last cycle after 85 days... something my doctor failed to mention to me. I am pretty sure the use of Imitrex atually prolonged my last episode... yeah, like any of us need do that! I would like to know about the rebound effects of Imitrex and would welcome any information from others who use Imitrex.
IP Logged
Holly
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Imitrex Rebounds
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20th, 2002, 12:22am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Blair,  sorry to hear your in cycle now Cry.  I found for my self that the Imitrex does seem to prolong my cycle too.  Also I found it dehydrates me, so drinking lots of water helps.  I found the shots and spray to work faster.  In my last cycle I was using more shots than was recommended (6-8 a day).  My doc thought I was getting rebound CH, and I found that when I stopped using the shots my O2 started to work?  Any way I started to use Verapamil as a preventive and it worked and use O2 as a abortive.  Next cycle (which will be here soon) I'm going to go as long as I can without using the Imitrex.  Try to use an abortive like Verapamil with your cycle if your not doing so now.  It saved my life.......Holly
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 20th, 2002, 8:34am »

Here ya go:
http://www.clusterheadaches.org/library/medications/imitrex_rebound.htm
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
murphysmom

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 20th, 2002, 9:38am »

My Doc started me on amerge (it's a triptan like imitrex) and it causes rebounds as well, but at the same time he increased my preventative treatment of topamax by 4, so hopefully I won't have to take as much Amerge and risk a rebound.  Rebounds suck because when your in the dance and scaling out at 7 or 8  and just wanting out you'll do anything so....thinking your doing something good you take more medicine....and inadvertantly you're prolonging the dance...aaahhhh!!!! It can be frustrating.   Hang in there, and ask your doc about preventatives like verapemil, lithium, topamax etc...  murph
IP Logged
Georgia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If ya don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree.

pixieprincess_una   georgiacze
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 20th, 2002, 9:54am »

For me, imitrex injections will sometimes stop a ch about 1 in three times. The problem is that when it does, the ch comes back worse than before in about an hour or two. I still use it occasionally, like when I am at work, and need to buy myself a few hours, but in general I try to avoid it. What else have you tried?
IP Logged

la la lala la la.....(its the theme song from the smurfs in case you couldn't tell) Need a smile? Click here: http://users.compaqnet.be/cn174277/Smurfs%20-%20Smurf%20Theme%20Song.mp3
trip

Email

ditto
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20th, 2002, 2:39pm »

Undecided  Same as Georgia,,the injections work great , 5min. tops,,,but 1 hour later,, BAM,, a fast hard hitting eye poper.But because the injections work so fast I use them in emergencys ,,when I have to kill the bastard NOW.
 As far as Meds extending the cycle,, I believe there is a lot of merit to that. From my own experinces and from what I have read on this MB. There are several ,,respected  Grin, peeps around here who guarantee meds prolong the cycle.   As far as rebounds ,,WTF is a rebound,,no offense but I have never gotten 2 peeps to agree on what it realy is,, except basketball fans.  CoolTrip
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 20th, 2002, 3:07pm »

Well, Trip - you can add us to that list that believe meds prolong things.
Mike is now entering MONTH FIVE of this cycle.  He's never gone this long before (two month's max, prior) AND this is the first cycle in ten years that he's been medicated (pred burst, then verapamil).  
He's doing the wean from Verap now, in hopes this cycle will die a natural death.
Imitrex inhalers are working to abort the ones he HAS to abort, but he prefers to just ride it out if he can.
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Holly
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Feb 20th, 2002, 3:21pm »

Wink Hi Trip
By using more than the recommended dose of Imitrex shots, you tend to get more or high daily frequency of CH attacks (more than 3 a day).  Go to BOB P reply on Imitrex rebounds and read his link. It is helpful.  PFD....Holly
IP Logged
trip

Email

Margi's main man and others
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20th, 2002, 4:55pm »

Roll EyesI am hereing that more and  more,, people would rather ride out the pain than take more meds,espically , late in a cycle.  Which brings us to the use of opiates, and their benifits. I am not advocating the use of opiates for 3-4 months, but to help you ride out the pain now and then and not have to take some heart stoping,blood vessel expanding, rebound causing med,,  
works for me . PS I am not suggesting peeps stop meds and use opiats. Lips Sealed
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 20th, 2002, 7:51pm »

I am probably  one of the biggest anti opiate use poster here but even I will say they do have their place. An occasional vicodan or oxy may be neccesary to bring some relief when all else has failed or there is nothing available short of a trip to the ER. The problem is when folks use opiates as a treatment plan rather than an emergency measure.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss