Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 10:38pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « something in the paper »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2002 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   something in the paper
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: something in the paper  (Read 600 times)
jasonc

Email

something in the paper
« on: Aug 6th, 2002, 12:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am recent member and my cycle has started again, anyways today I went to work and somone at work showed me a articl inthe pioneer press on page 4e next to the funnys. A doctor wrote the article dr donohue  was his name it is a good article and is about clusters. I thought this was a good thing. it give some suggestions on medication and what you can do.and it explainskinda what there are. ( for the people that don't get them) It also goes into about are dancing at night a little. I think who ever reads this should check it out.
IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

Re: something in the paper
« Reply #1 on: Aug 6th, 2002, 1:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

And how do we find the article?  Grin Would love to read it...smiles,nancyc
IP Logged
jasonc

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 6th, 2002, 2:05pm »

First of all I am in minnesota, so it is in the st paul pioneer press, I went on line at www.twincities.com to see if the article is in the there. ( this is the website for pioneer press) I am still looking for it. If you get the pioneer press it is in the comics part of the paper right below the cross word word. the article is called "clusters headaches  come in bunches" the page number is 4e.. I hope this helps.i all fails I will type the whole articl word for word so all fellow suffers can read it or I can fax it to any one if you like. I wish you all pf days  
all in my prayers
IP Logged
tommyD
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Anything not impossible is compulsory.

« Reply #3 on: Aug 6th, 2002, 2:27pm »

The article appeared in our local daily, it is by syndicated medical columnist Dr. Paul G. Donohue.  

He didn't do too bad of a job. A few errors, but he got most of it right. The description of symptoms is good. He mentions sumatriptan and oxygen as abortives and lithium, prednisone and verapamil as preventatives.

He recommends abstaining from alcohol, but then:

"If he (CH sufferer) smokes, he ought to stop. He should make a list of the foods he ate and the beverages he drank prior to the headache. He might find one food appearing in the list time and again."

All in all, not bad for a 6-paragraph piece. It could have been much worse. I have been tempted writing to one of these medical advice columnists about CH, but was afraid they might respond with too much of the usual misinformation.

Dr. Donohue didn't mention shrooms, but I doubt he would even if he has heard about them

Nancy -- I did a Google search and found several links to newspapers that carry his columns, but not to the current column. You could try the basic address for those newspapers, then look for links...

I did find this, for those interested in the water treatment:

Can You Drink Too Much Water?

From, To Your Health - Winona Daily News  
By Dr. Paul G. Donohue  

You can eat or drink too much of anything, including water. Healthy kidneys can filter 12 quarts of water a day, an amount about six times the body's water quota.  

Drink much more than 12 quarts and you can dilute body fluids to such an extent that headaches occur, confusion sets in and coma might develop.  

You really would have to work at it to drink that much water in one day, however. People who drink that much water often suffer from mental illness.  

Clear urine is not an indication of too much water. More often than not, it indicates that the proper amounts of water have been drunk.  

If, however, running to the bathroom every 15 minutes goes along with clear urine, then something is amiss. Excess water can be one of the reasons why the two - frequent urination and colorless urine - are coupled.  
IP Logged

www.clusterbusters.com
jasonc

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 6th, 2002, 2:55pm »

thankyou tommy D for summing that  up for me. who ever reads this, hope you like I thought is was pretty good, but tommyd summs it up better than I can. I not a very good writer.  anys thanks again
IP Logged
ChristineL

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 6th, 2002, 3:09pm »

If anyone does find a link to todays column please let me know - I'd love to read it and have a copy to show my Dr.

Thanks
 Chris L
IP Logged
Donna
New Board Newbie
USA 

Here's the article........
« Reply #6 on: Aug 6th, 2002, 3:38pm »

Cluster headaches come in bunches

Dear Dr. Donohue: My husband has severe headaches, always on the left side and centered near his left eye. Some call them cluster headaches.. They usually start at 4 a.m., and they come out of nowhere. Pain is not natural. Something is causing it. What? -- J.W.

Dear J.W.: I have to agree with the cluster headache diagnosis. These headaches cause intense, throbbing pain on one side of the head, and the pain is frequently centered around the eye on that side. Typically, headaches occur at night. The pain lasts from a few minutes to a few hours. The eye on the affected side might water and the nostril on that side drip. They are so painful that the victim must get out of bed and pace around the house to tolerate the pain.

The headaches come in bunches. They can recur many times in a day and appear daily for weeks or months at a time. Thus the"cluster" name.

Sumatriptan, one of the newer migraine medicines, can often successfully put an end to cluster headaches. Breathing pure oxygen from an oxygen tank for 10 minutes is another way to stop the headache.

IP Logged
ChristineL

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 6th, 2002, 6:09pm »

Donna,

Thanks!

Chris L
IP Logged
Headbangertoo

Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 6th, 2002, 6:11pm »

It's a syndicated column it's called "Ask the Doctor".  Most paper's carry this in the comics section across from Dear Abbey...

Later,
Tim

PS  I saw it.  It was decent but, there is far more info here for us that suffer from CH.  It was kind of generic for the Lay person...
IP Logged
Slammy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lust Without Remorse! Love Without Regret!

strider_39  
Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 6th, 2002, 6:17pm »

yeah,  I saw the column but got distracted by the "Dear Abbey" post about this guy complaining that his wife was pressuring him to have a three-way with her girl- friend..... Cheesy

Slammy   Cool
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2002, 6:19pm by Slammy » IP Logged

That's it! Everyone out of the pool!

" Everytime I try to get out, they PULL me back in! "
ChristineL

Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 6th, 2002, 6:23pm »

OK - I'll bite.............and what was Dear Abby's reply? Can't wait to hear this.

Chris L
IP Logged
Drk^Angel

Email

« Reply #11 on: Aug 6th, 2002, 8:26pm »

Dear Abby prolly called the guy a dumbass...

PFDAN............... Drk^Angel
IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #12 on: Aug 6th, 2002, 10:01pm »

Thanks for the quote. Nice.  

We get the good Dr. Here. He has answered about clusters in the past and the guy does a capable job. He knows what he's doing.

Really blabby old Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss