Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 5:38am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « extreme downside to shroom's »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2002 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   extreme downside to shroom's
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: extreme downside to shroom's  (Read 914 times)
sailpappy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

sail_pappy   sailpappy1
WWW Email

extreme downside to shroom's
« on: Dec 16th, 2002, 9:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

;D ;D I know the Mushroom therapy has had much discusion here, this is the extreme of what might happen in an Over dose situation!   Pappy
http://www.naplesnews.com/02/12/naples/d843354a.htm

IP Logged
rick
New Board Hall of Famer

Re: extreme downside to shroom's
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 3:06pm »

The whole situation is highly abnormal, but a fine example of why individuals who are mentally unstable to begin with should NOT take hallucinogens.

GrinR
IP Logged
fubar
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 4:05pm »

Pappy,

Sadly, this kind of journalism perpetuates the myths that people associate with drugs like LSD and mushrooms.

The article makes some pretty outlandish, and negative, claims about mushrooms.

"The drug typically causes a feeling of panic or paranoia, and possibly a feeling of euphoria."

Huh?  That's just not true.  It's like they are saying 'will produce panic or paranoia, but there's a chance it might produce euphoria'.  That's just stupid journalism.

Then:

"Long-term effects of the drug aren't known, except it can cause flashbacks. A person not under the influence of the drug will mentally flash back to a prior place he's been, black out and then return to normal without knowing what happened."

Total BS.  "Beware, if you take this you'll suffer uncontrolled trips to the past for the rest of your life".  Hogwash.  I've never heard or seen this actually happen.  I must have blacked out and forgotten.

Anyway, I know the point is to alert people to the dangers, but this article isn't credible in the least.

Hallucinigens are clearly dangerous when not used properly.  So is Oxygen.  Ask your Oxygen delivery guy how many patients he has seen with burns around their mouth because they refuse to use Oxygen safely.  Smokers (who, funny coincidence, tend to need a lot of Oxygen with they get sick) are notorious for forgetting that Oxygen is highly flammable, and routinly end up with burns about the head and face.

Both sides, my friend.

-Fu
IP Logged

"He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
jonny

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 4:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Very well thought out, Fubar.

.................jonny Cheesy
IP Logged
cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Not all those that wander are lost......

cathy_lucas47   cybersis1965
Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 4:37pm »

Sailpappy.......I have to agree with Fu on this one,

Quote....(cause I haven't worked out how to get the box around it yet.....LOL ;D

"Long-term effects of the drug aren't known, except it can cause flashbacks. A person not under the influence of the drug will mentally flash back to a prior place he's been, black out and then return to normal without knowing what happened."  

???  Thing I wanna know is.....If he didn,t know what happened ....how the **** does anyone else  ???

Cathy Wink
IP Logged

My own tears would mean nothing to me, if I could stop you from just shedding one....

Azrael
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Sometimes... Being good just ain't worth it.

27810130 27810130   kennkurr  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 5:17pm »

Fu... O2 isn't flammable.

PFDAN.................................. Drk^Angel
IP Logged

"Hello police? I would like to report a robbery. Someone stole all my beer while I was drunk."
jonny

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 5:53pm »

When 02 saturates your clothing, bed linen or furniture and you light a match.....BOOM!!!!!!

Consider you and anything in the room toast city.

..........................jonny

Probably why my tanks says
WARNING: Vigorously accelerates combustion

Go figure  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2002, 6:02pm by jonny » IP Logged
Marc
New Board Newbie
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 6:10pm »

Drk -  

The technical wording of "being" combustible vs.  "supports" combustion or "accelerates" combustion is of very little comfort to burn victims.  

I think the point was to remind people to be careful.....
IP Logged
Azrael
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 6:26pm »

Just stating a fact Marc.  Didn't mean to insult any burn victims or anything.

It does go to show how an incomplete understanding of a substance can lead to misinformation, such as the reporter's interpretation of the effects of shrooms.  Making a statement without the proper facts devaluates the statement.  The article should have been a valid statement on the possible negative effects of shrooms, but was devaluated by the inaccurate comments by the reporter.

PFDAN...................................... Drk^Angel
IP Logged

"Hello police? I would like to report a robbery. Someone stole all my beer while I was drunk."
Slammy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lust Without Remorse! Love Without Regret!

strider_39  
Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 6:33pm »

And here's something else......

http://www.staronline.com/vcs/county_news/article/0,1375,VCS_226_1611516 ,00.html

Slammy   Cool
IP Logged

That's it! Everyone out of the pool!

" Everytime I try to get out, they PULL me back in! "
fubar
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 6:40pm »

Drk,

I wasn't stating that Oxygen is flammable, just that Oxygen users can find themselves on fire if they aren't careful!  Oxygen rich environments are highly dangerous because Oxygen is one of the three key ingredients for fire.  You need Fuel, Oxygen, and sufficiently high temperature.  Anytime you have a high concentration of any one of these three, you have a potentially dangerous situation.

Most of us use Oxygen safely.  Those who have had accidents with it are either to embarrassed to say so, or are recovering from severe burns.  Wink

My original point is, I could have written an equally worthless article on the DANGERS of OXYGEN use, citing useless facts or making up some of my own as the original author seems to have done.

Sure, shrooms can be dangerous.  So can Oxygen.
IP Logged

Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 6:40pm »

Yep, that's the way it starts.  A little fungus at a party.  Then it's on to the devil water, the good old booze.  Before you know it, you're another statistic of "Reefer Madness"!

You go out and sell your body to the bums on the street just to get enough money for your next beer.  Then one night, in a fit of panic, you kill your Grandma and steal her stash.

It's a dark road you're heading down.  Get thy to Betty Ford, now!
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
jonny

Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 6:46pm »

on Dec 16th, 2002, 6:26pm, Drk^Angel wrote:

It does go to show how an incomplete understanding of a substance can lead to misinformation

Like a newbie reading your post, getting some 02 and sparking up a butt only to be burned to death along with family members?

I dont want a pissing match, DRK.....but you got to becareful about not giving the whole deal.

By saying 02 cannot burn you to death is bull!!

.....................jonny
IP Logged
Azrael
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 6:51pm »

Thank you Slammy... That story shows the dangers of uncontrolled use of controlled substances very well.

Calm down a bit Fu... I was just nit-pickin' on where you did indeed claim Oxygen is highly flammable.  I think we all knew what you meant.

IP Logged

tanner
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Adopt a POW/MIA I have

sc_clusterhead1  
Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 6:54pm »

i'm real happy to read the various responses to this post because the first time i read it i was quite bummed out thinking linda (my wife and supporter) was going to read this article making it even harder for me to give this a try. i have gotta tell ya i for one have every intention of trying anything that might work. as you know pappy i happen to have another medical condition that is much more likely to be fatal then clusters will ever be, but as i think you know the ch's are far and away the more serious of the two as far as my sanity and hence my day to day life is concerned. i'm planning on grasping that rope just as soon as i can manage to grow some!!!

man i wish i still lived in st. helens, or. we used to watch where we put our feet so as not to crush too many of the little bastards. had no idea what we had!

tim

IP Logged

I AM THE MASTER OF MY MIND, MY BODY, AND MY EMOTIONS...
it's just my head that sucks...http://www.centerforlit.com/

Azrael
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 6:56pm »

on Dec 16th, 2002, 6:46pm, jonny wrote:

By saying 02 cannot burn you to death is bull!!

.....................jonny

I did not say this Jonny.  I said that it wasn't flammable, and it isn't.  How would that comment cause someone to decide to go out and light up while on O2?  It wouldn't, and it's rediculous to assume anyone would.

Why don't you stop trying to start fights for no reason?

Drk^Angel
IP Logged

fubar
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 6:57pm »

Drk,

Calm Down?  CALM DOWN???   Shocked

Ahem...

just kidding.... I couldn't be calmer!  

I just wanted to clarify incase some poor reader saw your post and assumed flames were OK around Oxygen since "O2 isn't flammable. " as you said (correctly, I might add).  It is, in fact, highly dangerous around flames, which isn't the same as being flammable I guess.  Just being clear.
IP Logged

jonny

Email

« Reply #17 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 7:01pm »

DRK,  

Im not trying to start a fight im just trying to save some poor bastard that reads your post from burning themself alive.

Sue me.

.......................jonny
IP Logged
Not4Hire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

...WAS PF since Oct.'02, but ...oh my...(CBusters)

Email

« Reply #18 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 7:52pm »

Quote:
"I think that drugs lurk in dark places. I think what kills evil is to put it out in the light."

...the last line in Slammy's citation........

Quote:
I was just nit-pickin' on where you did indeed claim Oxygen is highly flammable.  I think we all knew what you meant.

...a "little" information....or a little "assumption" can cause more harm than good......beware, friends......

.....educate yourselves.......the nits will pick themselves....
IP Logged

Mantra: This will NOT kill me...This will not KILL me... This will not kill ME...
Azrael
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 9:25pm »

Jonny... I think that's the reason why they put warnings on O2 tanks and the delivery trucks, and the supply store should warn you when they first sell the O2.  Hell... The supply store I get my O2 from even gave me No Smoking signs to put up around my house.

I still do not see how anyone would burn themselves to death from being told that O2 is not flammable.  I learned this in 6th grade general science, and I haven't yet fried myself... Physically anyways... Mentally is another story.  C'est la vie...

Drk^Angel
IP Logged

fubar
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #20 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 9:54pm »

Drk,

Take your own advice... calm down a bit...

You were absolutely correct.  I incorrectly stated that Oxygen was flammable... I was too busy making the original point to notice that inaccuracy... I guess I assumed people would focus on the point of mycomparison.  The funny part is then we jump all over you for pointing out the inaccuracy, meaning your point was lost on us because we focused on the anal retentive nature  of your observation instead of the intended simple factual correction.  Ironic, eh?

IP Logged

Cerberus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Whomever said that two heads are better than one?

Email

« Reply #21 on: Dec 17th, 2002, 7:55pm »

An interesting pair of articles posted on this thread, but, it stands in my thoughts that you could take an asprin and rob a bank, get killed in the process, and have SOMEONE say "there were drugs in thier system, and that is why they did it".
  Another factor is what is deemed as "abuse". it is all relative.
  What ever happened to personal responsibility? when is the individual responsible for his/her own actions and decisions?
  No disrespect to Sailpappy intended, in fact, the contrary. Drugs can be very dangerous and are not something to be taken lightly. But the bottom line is that one has to be aware of the possible consequences and willing to take responsibility for their decisions.
  I'm also sick of Marijuana being classified in the same categories as Heroin, Crack , Methamphetaminesand the like. I have never seen factual evidence of anyone "overdosing" or directly dying from the result of having smoked pot.

Cerebus
IP Logged

I would rather face the end with terror than terror without end. - (Deitrich Sawatsky 194?)
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss