Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 5:42am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hypocalcaemia........??? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2002 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hypocalcaemia........???
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hypocalcaemia........???  (Read 455 times)
cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Not all those that wander are lost......

cathy_lucas47   cybersis1965
Email

Hypocalcaemia........???
« on: Dec 16th, 2002, 4:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Wes went to see the neuro  today and has finally been prescribed O2 on the NHS....(free). They won't let him have verapamil though, not sure why.... ???

Thought you might be interested in something he said....he has known CH sufferers to be occasionally suffering from Hypocalcaemia....so I looked it up....

An abnormally low level of calcium in the blood....most common cause is vit.D deficiency, due to poor diet.....or ...lack of sunshine (we must all be Vit.D deficient here in the UK then... ;D)  

Anyhow just a bit of information, maybe you'd already heard of it but just in case you hadn't.. you have now. Wink

Wes has had 3 PFD's ..... Smiley

Wishing each and every one of you PFDAN's

Cathy
IP Logged

My own tears would mean nothing to me, if I could stop you from just shedding one....

tanner
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Adopt a POW/MIA I have

sc_clusterhead1  
Email

Re: Hypocalcaemia........???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 5:32pm »

cathy, 3 pfd's way cool !

i am interested in your info on hypocalcaemia. i am in the biz of leasing indoor tanning beds to high end salons here in the U.S. we also rep a line of home units.  while we are not allowed to make health claims in our business because of some very big politics involving the cosmetics industry (big bucks), since i am not trying to sell anything here i can tell the truth.

the use of indoor tanning technology is a safer and more sure method of insuring the processing of the vitamin d needed for good bone health then relying on the sun. (no cloudy days, no depletion of the ozone layer)  

you do not need to stay under the lamps long enough to achieve a color  pigment change to get these benifits.  

regular short exposure's to uva and uvb (the rays) can treat and often cure many skin disorders (psoriasis etc.)

it is the most effective (with the least side effects) treatment for a form of depression that is prevelant
in solar challenged areas of the earth such as siberia,alaska, and yes cathy the uk!

ok, so now everyone knows that i'm not an aussie living in the U.S. and i've blown my cover....  
          tanner Roll Eyes
IP Logged

I AM THE MASTER OF MY MIND, MY BODY, AND MY EMOTIONS...
it's just my head that sucks...http://www.centerforlit.com/

Donna
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 5:38pm »

OK, now I know where the name "tanner" came from.

Figured out another one. Cool
IP Logged
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 5:40pm »

Verapimil is a calcium beta blocker...if I am correct...have read alot about it but not enuff to state facts here and get it all correct....belive there is info on it on here about it in the MEDS dept you can read up on and prolly where I got more info at also.......Pam
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

jonny

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 6:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Me takes Calcium and Magnesium with Zinc twice aday cause Lithium robs my ass of some of that.

........................jonny Cheesy
IP Logged
Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 7:16pm »

Wow, what are the odds........his name is Tanner and he is in the tanning business, go figure  
;D

Glad to hear about the PF days Cathy....keep it up!
IP Logged

Click The Flag
OneEyeBlind
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Yea, I can do this

topnoodle

« Reply #6 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 8:12pm »

Great news cathy !!!!  Way tooo cool.  Glad to hear things are going well for you guys !!!!  

And tanner ... were you trying to hide your career choice from us ???  LOL.
IP Logged

One cannot step twice in the same river, for fresh waters are forever flowing around us.
CathiP

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 9:54pm »

Cathy- That is good news about Wes's 02! And 3 pf days- you both must be jumping up & down...now, keep that run going...

Tanner- grab your sample bag, and get thee to Oregon- I'm on my way to return my OTT- lamps.........
IP Logged
SommelierCH
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I’m awed by the amazing resiliency that we possess

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 11:05pm »

Three days pain free-----YIPPEE…..YAHOOO…WHEEEE!!!!! MORE………..MORE………MORE. WE WANT MORE……….WE WANT MORE!!!!!!

Great news, wish we could hear that from more of the family. Keep us posted.

David J.
IP Logged

Wine is a little like love. When the right one comes along, you know it!
cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Not all those that wander are lost......

cathy_lucas47   cybersis1965
Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 17th, 2002, 1:57am »

SmileyThanks for the replys guys....

Tanner.... Although you are right that UV in short bursts can help to cure some skin disorders,  be aware of the dangers, if our keratinocytes were supposed to be blasted with uv why then do melanocytes enter the keratinocytes to shield the nucleus from uv light  ???  Just a thought... Roll Eyes

Cathy Wink
IP Logged

My own tears would mean nothing to me, if I could stop you from just shedding one....

tanner
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Adopt a POW/MIA I have

sc_clusterhead1  
Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 17th, 2002, 5:12am »

on Dec 17th, 2002, 1:57am, cathy wrote:

SmileyThanks for the replys guys....

Tanner.... Although you are right that UV in short bursts can help to cure some skin disorders,  be aware of the dangers, if our keratinocytes were supposed to be blasted with uv why then do melanocytes enter the keratinocytes to shield the nucleus from uv light  ???  Just a thought... Roll Eyes

Cathy Wink

cathy too true!!! you notice i wasn't trying to sell ya on tanning. we only do that with the americans. they have this odd perception that browner is good. shhhh....
this kinda talk is bad for business...
             tim  Wink
IP Logged

RevDeFord
New Board Old Timer

Pain is real if the neighbors know you have it!

WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 17th, 2002, 6:56am »

on Dec 16th, 2002, 6:11pm, jonny wrote:
Me takes Calcium and Magnesium with Zinc twice aday cause Lithium robs my ass of some of that.

........................jonny Cheesy

Hmmm.....robbing calcium from one's rear-end........that is a new one to me!   ;D

I certainly don't have a calcium problem - I wake up about 5 times a night to take Tums Ultra for constant heart burn.
IP Logged

I don' know why it hurts, but I pray it will stop.
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 17th, 2002, 1:07pm »

Cathy that is so unusual, because Dave went to the doc recently and was told he had low calcium too... Is that a common link with CH victims............?.ree

a little modification here... I disagree with the benefits of UV tanning beds... Me thinks there are none... Recently diagnosed with Melanoma, althought UV can cure some psoriasis TEMPORARILY it is never a safe method for any type of skin healing.  My boss owned a tanning salon in the 80's. I, sorry to say was a frequent flyer there... Hopefully they have taken off all of the sites I had and I wont deal with it again.  One of the sacrifices I must now make is NO TANNING AT ALL WHATSOEVER!!!!!!!!!!! that means Tanning Beds too... Lost a friend to Melanoma, he was also a hairstylist at the same salon and also a frequent user of the same tanning beds......... makes me shiver to think about it... I saw how he died and now diagnosed with the same disease forces me to be a crusader.  I'll be the one with the sprayed on tan this year... Ree
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2002, 1:17pm by Ree » IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 17th, 2002, 1:38pm »

thus the name ReebaNana Orangebod.  Smiley

go little Ree - I agree with you on this crusade.
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
tanner
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Adopt a POW/MIA I have

sc_clusterhead1  
Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 17th, 2002, 1:59pm »

now ree, i'm not going to argue the benifits/hazards of tanning here....
ok i lied yes i will! first off i am not recommending tanning. we all know or should that over exposure to uv light from ANY source is carcinogenic. i have a mom-in-law with repeat melanoma who has never used a bed and was never a lay about in the sun type. if you think that 1980's tanning equipment bears any resemblance to whats available today... well
indoor uva equipment can be and is commonly prescribed by doctors (dermatologists) and paid for by many insurance carriers including mine (bcbs of IL)
the complete absence of uv causes many disorders besides vitamind deficiancy and that is the primary reason you will find it being used by nasa and their russkie counterparts.  
as for the shake and bake(spray booth) approach, keep in mind that thus far they have the same approval from the fda for human use that is given to food coloring  ( remember red#2 and yellow#5 ) and have brought to the market by those same cosmetics lobbyists that spread all the lies and inuendo's regarding indoor tanning.

the bottom line is TANNING of any kind can cause CANCER

the benificial aspects of uv light can be achieved without causing cellular damage.

ok now i can put my soapbox away! tim

btw love ya ree, and am very sorry bout the m word!
i hope it turns out to be veryyy correctable.
              tim
IP Logged

KarenT

Email

Hypocalcemia
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17th, 2002, 11:37pm »

This is what I found:  

Calcium channel blockers are medicines that slow the movement of calcium into the cells of the heart and blood vessels. This, in turn, relaxes blood vessels, increases the supply of oxygen-rich blood to the heart, and reduces the heart's workload.

Last go round for Will, the neuro told me to give him the Verapamil, tapered high dose Prednisone (from 60mg down to 10mg at 5 day intervals), one TUMS, Pepcid and Magnesium daily. He said that not only does the Verapamil pull the calcium out, but the Prednisone does too.  

This neuro's dad is/was a clusterhead. I think he told me his dad is in his 80's. But that was 2 years ago and I'm sure I've just "jinxed" us now.  Undecided

Good Luck and PFDAN

KarenT
IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 18th, 2002, 8:16am »

Oh my, ever since I read Cathy's post about Hypocalcaemia (an abnormally low Ca blood level) I feared that someone would construe a connection to the Ca channel blockers many of us use. Angry

By far the largest amount of calcium (Ca) in our body is in the bones, measured in pounds. The Ca concentration in the blood is kept constant by an exchange with the huge store in the bones. For this exchange to be possible we need Vitamin D. There are only a few natural sources of Vitamin D, as cod liver oil (yuck, yuck, yuck). But precursors of this are abundant. Ultraviolet light converts these precursor in the skin to Vitamin D. The tanning of the skin does not help in the production of Vitamin D, in the contrary, it is a defence mechanism to prevent its overproduction.

A very tiny fraction of the blood calcium enters the nerve receptors of the smooth muscles where it is needed to receive nerve signals. The calcium channel blockers inhibit the influx of calcium ions into the nerve cells, thus making them slower to respond to nerve signals.

If there is a connection at all between low Ca levels in the blood and CH it would be on the good side: less Ca to enter the sooth muscle nerve receptors.  

Ueli
IP Logged
KarenT

Email

Re: Hypocalcemia........???
« Reply #17 on: Dec 18th, 2002, 8:44am »

I hear what your saying, Ueli and I understand completely. Only believe about half the doctor's tell me and question that anyway.  Wink That's why I never went to med school-even though my mom-who is sitting here as I type-wanted me to. LOL

Hope you are doing well,Ueli and have a great Christmas.

KarenT
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss