Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 1st, 2024, 8:24pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « About Oxygen »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2002 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   About Oxygen
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: About Oxygen  (Read 346 times)
Azrael
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Sometimes... Being good just ain't worth it.

27810130 27810130   kennkurr  
WWW Email

About Oxygen
« on: Dec 16th, 2002, 11:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

There seems to be those that believe that if people on the board are told that Oxygen is not flammable, then everyone will run home, grab their mask, and light up a cig... I don't agree with this theory (because I believe that the people on this board is generally more intelligent than that), but I figured maybe some may need an explanation, so here it goes...

#1... Oxygen is not flammable

#2... Combustion is a form of oxidation like corrosion or rust.  The difference is that combustion happens much quicker than corrosion normally does, so it creates a great deal more heat.

#3... To create a fire, three things are needed... Fuel (a combustible/flammable substance), Oxygen, and ignition (spark, fire, or other heat)

#4... The Oxygen level in the atmosphere is normally not enough for a very efficient combustion of the fuel, so the fuel only burns as fast as the Oxygen can be replaced via air circulation (this is why when you blow on hot coals, they will go from a orange-red, to a yellow, or near white color, and may produce a flame for a short time.  More air is being circulated, so more Oxygen is available to oxidize the available fuel)

#5... If you add 100% Oxygen at high flow to a combustion, then you allow the combustion to burn as fast as the oxidized fuel can be displaced.  When you're talking about a knitted fabric, the Oxygen can flow through the fibers, so there is a great deal of surface area that can be oxidized at one time, and the oxidized fuel is easily displaced, so it creates a very combustible situation.  (Whereas Oxygen is not flammable, almost all clothing is, so adding Oxygen to your clothing would just leave just one item needed for combustion... A spark i.e. a cigarette)  Even steel wool can burn if enough Oxygen is applied to it.

#6... Why does it matter?  Whereas Oxygen will increase the burning rate of an existing combustion or make a flammable substance more combustible, it is perfectly safe when used properly (i.e. Away from existing flames, such as lit cigarettes)  If Oxygen is released in the open air, or on your skin or clothes, normal air circulation will dilute the Oxygen to safe levels rather quickly.  A flammable substance, especially a flammable gas, will automatically have two major components of combustion when released into the air, and any spark will create an explosive reaction.  The gas will not only create a flame near the ignition source, but also anywhere the gas is in high enough concentration to support combustion.

#7... In summary... Oxygen should be kept away from open fires, and therefore should not be used while smoking.  But Oxygen is not flammable, because if it was, it'd burn itself up with any spark, and the world would become a giant fireball until it burned out all the Oxygen.

I'm sorry for any confusion that my statement about Oxygen not being flammable may have made on the other thread.  Thank you for attention.

PFDAN................................... Drk^Angel
IP Logged

"Hello police? I would like to report a robbery. Someone stole all my beer while I was drunk."
Frank

Email

Re: About Oxygen
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 11:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

The other day I wanted to prove your point to my wife who freaks out when I smoke while breathing O2. I held a lit BIC lighter right next to the outlet on my O2 regulator set at 6 LPM. Ya know what? Not a damn thing happens... except the flame is a little brighter. The O2 at 6 LPM even tried to blow the flame out.

Now, if you fill a room with O2 or saturate your clothes or hair with O2 while breathing O2 for a half hour... and then set your clothes or hair on fire... well then yes, you're going to burn a lot brighter and faster.

But I agree... O2 by itself isn't flammable.
IP Logged
fubar
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 17th, 2002, 1:23am »

Quote:
There seems to be those that believe that if people on the board are told that Oxygen is not flammable, then everyone will run home, grab their mask, and light up a cig...

Drk, if that's intended to be directed at me, pardon my French, but fuck off.  I inadvertently and mistakenly said (while making a completely different point on a different topic) that Oxygen was flammable.  I know it's not flammable, and you pointed out that fact (which had nothing to do with the topic at hand).  Thanks for that.  We pretty much beat that horse dead in that thread.  Why start shit like this?  Bored?  Was there some greater good that was served by injecting that into the thread before?  Did it serve to clarify or even refute my position on that article about the 'extreme' dangers of mushrooms?  No.  It was simply to point out a silly error that was completely irrelevant. WTF?

Man, I thought you were being persecuted before, but now I see how you just can't control yourself sometimes... jeez.  Drop it already.  Nobody ever said the masses were going to read your post and run off to experiment with Oxygen and fire.  You can't underestimate the stupidity (obviously) of the people who have access to this information, so blanket statements that imply Oxygen is not dangerous (sorry, we all know dangerous !== flammable) just cry out for clarification.  My error, on the other hand, could easily have passed without notice or need of clarification.

Oh, great info on Oxygen BTW.  Smiley

IP Logged

"He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Slammy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lust Without Remorse! Love Without Regret!

strider_39  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17th, 2002, 12:12pm »

on Dec 17th, 2002, 1:23am, fubar wrote:

My error, on the other hand, could easily have passed without notice or need of clarification.

Oh, great info on Oxygen BTW.  Smiley

EXACTLY Fubar!!!!

I think you hit the nail on the head and your entire post articulated beautifully what many of us have felt on other issues...
You're not as fubar'd as you look!   ;D

Slammy   Cool
IP Logged

That's it! Everyone out of the pool!

" Everytime I try to get out, they PULL me back in! "
Azrael
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Sometimes... Being good just ain't worth it.

27810130 27810130   kennkurr  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 18th, 2002, 12:40am »

No... I was not talking about you Fu... I was talking about the person that said they didn't want people to end up getting burned because of my comment.  I decided that if there was a possibility that someone may be confused by my statement, that I should give more thorough information on said statement.  I didn't want my attempt to nit-pic your post to possibly create a situation that could cause harm.  I'm sorry if you took this thread as a poke at ya.

PFDAN..................................... Drk^Angel
IP Logged

"Hello police? I would like to report a robbery. Someone stole all my beer while I was drunk."
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss