Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 11:52pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « general anaesthesia as trigger »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2002 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   general anaesthesia as trigger
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: general anaesthesia as trigger  (Read 3258 times)
firebrix
New Board Hall of Famer
New_Zealand 

I must never weaken.

general anaesthesia as trigger
« on: Dec 18th, 2002, 6:37am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi guys
We made it back ok. Mopar is cool, but when he awoke from the general anaesthetic, he was in the middle of a Kip 10 attack. The anaesthetist discussed this with us after she saw the extent of Mopar's pain. It actually freaked the staff of the private hospital right out and they immediately gave him his Imitrex injector and 10mg IV Morphine, which immediately relieved the prob. Well, within ten minutes.
She said that it was accepted that anaesthetics cause dilation of blood vessels - especially in the brain,which could induce cluster attack and that a local would've been a better option. Wish they'd told us before! But better late than never - at least we can tell you guys.
The staff were quite gobsmakt. Had never seen a CH attack before and were ever so willing to suggest meds like carbamazapine (been there, done that) Epilim (same) and other migraine meds. However when we explained, ( well armed by info from this site) they were keen to listen, which is all good. One of the theatre nurses asked for the URL of this site - and said her brother in law suffered from CH!
Small world
but I'd hate to have to paint it. LOL ;D
Mopar is comfortable. He won't be typing much for a while but he's so slow anyway I can't bear to watch and will interfere! Only when he wants me to tho'.
Thought this might be of interest to any who are contemplating minor surgery. M a y b e .....it would be better to opt for the more distressing but less- inclined -to-trigger- HA option - local, than opt for the more appealing "knock me out and I won't feel a thing" option. My humble opinion only.
In his case anyway, general seemed to be a definite trigger - he's had 4 attacks at 2 hourly intervals since he recovered. All rippers, but Imitrex over-ruled. Whew!
Thanx guys for welcoming him.
Thanx for the kind words ( blushing here)
PFDAN to you all  
firebrix and Mopar  
IP Logged

"All that it takes for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

Re: general anaesthesia as trigger
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18th, 2002, 8:12am »

Any kind of anaesthesia has never bothered my head.  I have always gone under very cautious and explained ch etc and had them prepared to jump when I came to but never needed any assistance.  Sorry to hear Mopar got slammed.  At least it is behind him now.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
OneEyeBlind
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Yea, I can do this

topnoodle

« Reply #2 on: Dec 18th, 2002, 10:11am »

Glad to here all went well (except for the cluster attacks I mean).  I'll keep in mind the clusters should I ever have to be put under.  Hoping for a speedy recovery, Mopar !!!
IP Logged

One cannot step twice in the same river, for fresh waters are forever flowing around us.
Hound_Dogg

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 18th, 2002, 12:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I guess it stands to reason, since we normally get hit an hour after sleep, that anethesia would set one off. The big question would be...was he in cycle? or did the anethesia set off a completely new cycle?

I've only had one surgery and that was heavy sedation, not General Anethesia. The difference is they have to intubate you for General Anethesia.

Jim
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 18th, 2002, 2:16pm »

Boy, the beast is a strange one, huh?  Elaine, and a few others here, have had general anaesthetic and have reported the exact opposite result....it's actually put them into a short remission, as a side effect.

I'm sorry Mopar was the unlucky one to prove this theory wrong, Firebrix - that must have been terrifying to wake up like that...for both of you.  Thank God you were armed with info and did a little on the spot cluster education.  I love to hear that stuff!!  Good job, gal Smiley

Best of luck in the coming days, you two - it's not going to be easy for either one of you.  So much for party manners and the sweet mystery of romance, when one spouse has to assist the other one in the loo, huh?    
Give him lots of cheese, sweetie.  Wink

Keep us posted - we're here if you need a shoulder.

IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
firebrix
New Board Hall of Famer
New_Zealand 

I must never weaken.

« Reply #5 on: Dec 19th, 2002, 1:21am »

Margi - we're cracking up here! You gave us a good laugh, and we're stocking up on cheese here! We've been together for 24 years so there are few secrets between us - He has a  great butt!!
BUT......................
Thank goodness for showers!

Hound_dogg - Mopar's chronic!!!! Nuff said.

We too had hoped that the general anaesthetic might have had a positive effect but ..........
too many butts in this post! ;D Shocked
Thanks for all your support. It really helped.
Love you guys
firebrix
IP Logged

Edmund Burke
Hound_Dogg

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 19th, 2002, 7:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm sorry...I guess being episodic myself...I always see Cluster sufferers as being Episodic...I couldn't, in my worst nightmare, imagine having this damn pain almost every day. I have Thoracic Outlet Syndrome...(Which kinda feels like you have a couple of Broken Ribs, for the rest of your life)...I've also Fractured my neck, which hasn't healed right and both were the result of a motorist.   But I'll tell you this...none of that compares with the pain from a Cluster H/A and I thank God every day that I do not have that pain every day.

Best of Luck Firebrix and Mopar..You too are class acts.

Jim
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 19th, 2002, 8:12am »

It never ceases to amaze me.........time after time.........how many folks here already suffer from enough stuff to bring the mightiest of mortals to their knees. Disks, fractures, carpel, cancer, hepatitis, epilepsy, high stool......you get the idea.
And what does everybody complain about?
CH's............
You'd think the medico's would start getting a clue.

Naaahhhhhhhhhhhh.

"Pain"ting the picture,
RJ

IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 20th, 2002, 2:29am »

I agree Randy but for some reason, Ch isn't thought of as a real disease. I was well treated because I had epilepsy. They love us because they like to test us every year. I battle my current neurologist all the time because I know better. Lots of EEGs aren't necessary for epileptics. My old doctor said I could have all I wanted but that it really didn't add anything to my care.  This was the doctor who showed me the circulatory technique. He was a character.  

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
sueellen83
New Board Veteran
USA 

Shoot me and get it over with!!!!!

nsueellen83   nsueellen83
Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 21st, 2002, 9:40am »

Firebrix,

Sorry to hear Mopar had to deal with the beast and surgery too.

I have had general anesthetic several times and it trigger a cluster cycle every time.  The last time I had surgery my Dr. started me on preventitives 2 weeks prior to the surgery and it seemed to work.  No Ch cycle after the anesthetic.
IP Logged
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 21st, 2002, 9:54am »

When i woke up at the ER after my heartattack i got hit once.
Just wondering what they gave me.
The wall on the other side of the room had some pink elephants moving    Grin ;D

As for cluster it seems like the only "red thread" is the pain.

No wondering why the neuroes just say "we think or it might"when the first written case of cluster is back in 1306 and the first diagnose was back in the 40-50.The human brain is a complex thing it seems.Almost everything else they can give us spairparts in plastic   Smiley

Svenn
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #11 on: Dec 21st, 2002, 6:27pm »

Hey Fibrix,

Had numerous surgeries in my lifetime and they ALWAYS set off a cycle (i'm episodic).  Over the years I learned to be wary of surgery............within a day or so, I'm askin the nurses for the coffee..........dunno why.  It just always has worked out that way for me.  

The fear of clusters wormed it's way into my child birthing (always a c-section involving surgery and anasthesia.....) I became fearful of custers following the birth of each kid....and it happened EACH (3) TIME...............

when was a kid had accidents and had surgery.  Always a cycle followed.....

this question has come up tons and there's tons of feedback both here and in archives.  

PFDANSmiley
IP Logged
Jackie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Go For It!!!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 21st, 2002, 6:45pm »

Firebrix,

Glad to hear that Mopar made it through the actual surgery well.....sorry about the attack though... Sad

Anaesthesia has been been a problem for Blake.  He's had two surgeries and did OK....CH wise. One of them was "butt" surgery....he's now a perfect a*shole.... ;D
(just kidding, dear.... couldn't resist... Wink)

You two take care of each other and Happy Holidays Cheesy

Jacks Cool

IP Logged
firebrix
New Board Hall of Famer
New_Zealand 

I must never weaken.

« Reply #13 on: Dec 22nd, 2002, 7:50pm »

Thank you to you all for replying. I wish I'd asked this question BEFORE the surgery!
C'est la vie I guess.
We're looking after eachother as usual!
Mopar was disappointed HE didn't see any pink elephants!! Happy Birthday again Svenn!
Kim I feel SO sorry that you had >double the pain in childbirth! But I bet they're still worth the effort!
Thanx Hounddogg! You're pretty classy yourself!
Jackie - you crack (!!) ed me up!
Thank you to you all
firebrix
IP Logged

Edmund Burke
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss