Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 7:11pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « shadows and HELP! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2002 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   shadows and HELP!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: shadows and HELP!  (Read 367 times)
Brassbear

Email

shadows and HELP!
« on: Dec 19th, 2002, 12:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

ok, I took a look at the terminology. I seem to be having a shadow right now but it's building. I think this would be a 3 on the kip scale. Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.
IP Logged
brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

Re: shadows and HELP!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19th, 2002, 12:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I know this isn't much, but I usualyy talk a walk in the fresh air (colder the better!), trying to breath through the nose (affected side, if not too stuffed).

As for meds, I'm the wrong person to comment.  (med-free for 5yrs - not by choice!  --- episodic - luckily really short cycles)
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2002, 12:16pm by brain_cramps » IP Logged
Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 19th, 2002, 12:21pm »

Welcome to the board BB,
Sorry you need us but glad you are here. There are two basic classes of meds for CH, preventive and abortive. Most of us use a combination of both. Finding the combination seems to be the key. Some of us have taken many years because of early mis-diagnosis and ineffective meds. Here and on the OUCH site are more resources for CH info than anywhere else. I have attached a favorite link, I hope it helps.
Good Luck,
Mark  
http://www.clusterheadaches.org/library/general/management_of_ch.htm

« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2002, 12:23pm by Mark C » IP Logged

Click The Flag
Brassbear

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 19th, 2002, 12:24pm »

Thanks. It's raining here and it's getting colder. I'm in east central Indiana. This thing is getting worse. I don't like to take meds if I can avoid it, not even prescribed meds. I do have imitrex available and a sedative they gave me Monday at the hospital. Like you, I find walks in cold air do help some.
IP Logged
Brassbear

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 19th, 2002, 12:36pm »

Thanks for the website Mark. I'll check it out.
IP Logged
Hound_Dogg

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 19th, 2002, 1:15pm »

Brassbear,

You had said in your other thread that the H/A  lasts since 12/6... If you've had a continuous H/A since 12/6, I would definitely get it re-diagnosed because it is probably not CH.  

Please look at the Cluster Quiz button on the left. As we had found out from a previous post, it is dangerous to assume it is CH when it may be something else entirely.

Good Luck, and let us know how you're doing.

HD
IP Logged
rwolkie
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 19th, 2002, 4:03pm »

Ok now im confused, lol.  Are we talking about continuous headaches, or shadows between them?  During my cycle  when im not being "attacked" i still have some residual aching in the same area.   But nothing intense, compared to the attacks themselves those are heaven.    I guess my question is then, what is the norm? You are in a cycle, you have your attacks how ever they may come, then after the intensity is over, most dont have ANY aching (shadows) at all? until the next attack. I think i just confused myslef more, and probably all of you too. lol I hope you understand what im getting at!
IP Logged
Brassbear

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 19th, 2002, 4:36pm »

rowlkie, I'm just as confused. This is brand new to me and I don'tike it. There is no time of "no pain" or rather there has not been. What I'm calling a shadow is a dull ache at the temple and in my head where the intense pain occurs. That pain is "manageable" or rather bearable. When the intense pain occurs there is incredible pain in my head behind the left eye. This can last for 2 - 6 hours. When it first starts and when it ends I get a tingling in my tongue. That's like when the dentist numbs your mouth and the anesthesia wears off. And there is a metal taste in my mouth like putting the tin foil from a gum wrapper in your mouth. This will stay with the shadow. My eyes become puffy, yes, both of them although it is primarily on the same side as the pain. My eyes tear. My nose runs like a sieve on the affected side. My neck muscles get stiff and sore. The pain does not pulse or throb but is constant. It feels like Lizzie Borden hit me in the head with her axe and left it there. I was just diagnosed with CH at the Indianapolis VA on Monday. Several people have suggested that I may not have CH. Trust me, I don't want to be a cluster head. I can live without this.
IP Logged
domm
New Board Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 19th, 2002, 4:45pm »

Brassbear - welcome to the board. East Indiana? I lived in Richmond for several years. If you are near there - hook up with Dr Huth in Richmond. He did an excellant job for me with one of my cycles. He's an old jarhead doc, but he did his research before I hit his door and by the end of the office visit, he was up to speed and writing scripts for Oxygen, and Imitrex. Also gave me Elavil, but that didn't help as much as the O2 and trex.
Good luck in finding the right set of meds that work for you
domm
IP Logged
Brassbear

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 19th, 2002, 4:48pm »

Thanks domm, yeah, in fact I live just off of I-70 about 25 miles from Richmond. I will try and find out if that doc is still practicing there.
IP Logged
domm
New Board Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 19th, 2002, 6:18pm »

Good Luck and if you do see the doc, tell him Bill Dommermuth said Hi. He's a good one.
IP Logged
Linda T
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 19th, 2002, 7:03pm »

Dear BB and RW:

When I am in cycle there are very few times when I can say that I am totally pain free.  The shadows can sometimes be constant.  Like you said - bearable but a pain in the ass.  If I don't have shadows then my head feels as if someone has been beating on it.  It hurts when I run my hand through my hair or even try to comb my hair.

As for suggestions - I use a hot shower.  The hotter the better.  But get in quick before it builds up too much.  The faster you get it the better you'll be.

Good luck to you both - Linda T
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2002, 7:05pm by Linda T » IP Logged

What a long, strange trip it's been!
jonny

Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 19th, 2002, 7:15pm »

Hot shower, Linda?.....Hmmmmm!!

Need a soaper upper?  Grin

.....................jonny  Cheesy
IP Logged
Brassbear

Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 20th, 2002, 7:31am »

Linda T: Yeah, I tried the hot shower which did help when I was having either migraines or sinus headaches. I've tried long walks in the rain and cold, those use to work for the other headaches too. This I have not been successful in dealing with yet. I'm just learning the dance. I'm now documenting the cycle. I've got lots of good information from folks and will be better prepared the next time I see my doctor. The shadow does has not gone away yet. It feels like my head has been bruised where the headache was, both inside my head and at the temple on the same side. Guess I'll learn the whole bit. Happy, happy, joy, joy. Michael.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss