Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 1:20am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Advice needed, do you think I'm going chronic? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2002 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Advice needed, do you think I'm going chronic?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Advice needed, do you think I'm going chronic?  (Read 1196 times)
Macgyver

Email

Advice needed, do you think I'm going chronic?
« on: Dec 28th, 2002, 10:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Before I type anything else, I should mention, I've been lurking, so it's not like I'm a 1st-timer here. (you guys can be rough on newbies, and rightfully so in most cases)

I don't have health insurance, nor have I ever since I've gotten clusters.

I'm a 24 year-old male.

And please save the messages saying how lucky I am so far, I've read the horrors you guys go through, my clusters are like papercuts compared to most of you, I realize this.

1st cluster was around 2 weeks, mid-winter of 99.  

Second was 1.5 weeks, early summer of 2000. (1st time I tried Imitrex, and it worked great)

Third was just shadows, spring of 2001, water REALLY helped.

Fourth, early spring 2001, just shadows, Excedrin Migrane and water.

5th: I'm 23 days into this one, as of now. Water isn't effective at all. Can't afford imitrex. I was prescribed Fioricet, which was useless. Ephedrine works great, but of course, I feel like crap taking it, and I'm aware of all the dangers.

What's really weird about this one, aside from the length, I've had 3 pain-free days, seemingly random.  I've had more than one a day in this cycle and previous cycles, but as of the last week, it's one per day, either when I wake up in the morning, or in the middle of the night.

I know, I need to find a doctor that actually knows what a cluster is, and find a med or meds that work for me, that's just not an option for another two weeks.

Just asking your opinion, I figured maybe someone might relate.

(PS: If you wanna scream "shrooms!" Feel free, I've read all those posts too Smiley )
IP Logged
OneEyeBlind
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Yea, I can do this

topnoodle

Re: Advice needed, do you think I'm going chronic?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28th, 2002, 10:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

You are defined as chronic once you hit a year and have not had more than 2 weeks pain free.  So, with a cycle as short as your so far, I would say - No, you aren't chronic.  Welcome to the board by the way !!!
IP Logged

One cannot step twice in the same river, for fresh waters are forever flowing around us.
Macgyver

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 28th, 2002, 10:25pm »

Thanks Smiley

I'm just worried that I'll fit that definition eventually, I don't know how I could live like that.
IP Logged
Not4Hire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

...WAS PF since Oct.'02, but ...oh my...(CBusters)

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 28th, 2002, 10:36pm »

Welcome MAC........ stick around..... it just may get better (or worse.....whodafuckknows.....?)

....and what does dat little deal *under* the SwissArmyKnife logo REALLY do?

Grin

IP Logged

Mantra: This will NOT kill me...This will not KILL me... This will not kill ME...
domm
New Board Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 28th, 2002, 11:19pm »

Mac - welcome to the board. My first cycle was 8 weeks, with 2 1/2 yrs remission. Second cycle was 16 weeks, with 2 1/2 yrs remission, third cycle was cut short using verapamil at about 6 weeks. Yours sound really short. I think the norm is around 6 weeks.
Hang in - it will end soon.
domm
IP Logged
paul_b
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

guido90601  

« Reply #5 on: Dec 28th, 2002, 11:58pm »

Too soon for chronic. Yes, this disease increases anxiety. Dealing with it as well as the pain is all part of the process. Keep posting, useful ideas will come your way.
IP Logged
Macgyver

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 29th, 2002, 12:19am »

I'm trying an experiment tomorrow, I expect my next headache around 1-2pm, I predicted the last one the night before it, I'm pretty sure I can get the next one right too.

Anyway, the two years I was in remission, I was WAY more active than I am now. I've got alot of work to do to both my cars, so I think I'll try to get out there and tinker all day, stay active, on my feet, even if it is 20 deg outside.  I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW, I'm between semesters at school right now, don't go back till the 13th, so I'm lucky not to have any obligations..
IP Logged
Macgyver

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 29th, 2002, 8:36am »

Well, hell, nevermind, I've had two since that post..
IP Logged
OneEyeBlind
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Yea, I can do this

topnoodle

« Reply #8 on: Dec 29th, 2002, 9:32am »

Mac your cheapest solution would probably be O2.  You can buy a tank rather than renting one.  Perhaps Jonny could steer you in the right direction there.
IP Logged

One cannot step twice in the same river, for fresh waters are forever flowing around us.
Jabeen
New Board Veteran
USA 

What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 29th, 2002, 10:11am »

Like you-my experience is basically "lucky" compared to many on this board- I had my first bout at 45. That lasted almost a year, but for much of that time I didn't know what I had and once I knew and found a good neuro, it took months to find a med that worked. The inknown factor is whether or not they would have gone away on their own or not at that point. Then they were gone for 5 years!! Now they have been back for about 6 months. I went immediately back on the meds and it seemed to hold it in check (1 every 7-10 days, only at night, and never more than a 6-7)  Lately they have been increasing in occurence, but not too much in intensity. I had several on vacation the past weeks and every night since I have been home-and shadows. Its scaring me that its going the wrong way. I hate that there is nothing I can really do to predict where it is going and stop it.  Good luck-
IP Logged

OUCH member since 9/5/02
j.halber
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 29th, 2002, 8:41pm »

You will know soon enough if you are cronic,so don't worry about it now.What does it matter anyway?It won't help them go away, that I can promise you.But really none of us or you are lucky or we would't be here.I  really hope for you that it stays under control!!!Take it from a person who has had them every day for toooooo many years; it will not let you predict it or tell it when to go, so don't waste your energy trying. It's just not very easy at all but you CAN get through it.GOOD LUCK!
IP Logged
Azrael
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Sometimes... Being good just ain't worth it.

27810130 27810130   kennkurr  
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 30th, 2002, 4:41pm »

Welcome to the board!  Sorry that the beast isbanging your cranium like a drum using a red hot sledgehammer as a drumstick.  Good luck!

PFDAN............................. Drk^Angel
IP Logged

"Hello police? I would like to report a robbery. Someone stole all my beer while I was drunk."
JoeyT

Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 30th, 2002, 5:22pm »

Like others have already said ' don't worry about becoming chronic' just get some relief.  When I first read about O2 I really didn't think it could possibly work...to simple, no side effects and cheap.  As long as you don't have insurance renting might be the way to go.  I think the whole setup runs less than $50/mo. refills are about $15.00. It really is worth a try. Just make sure you are doing it correctly.  The difference between total relief and NO relief is as simple as the type of mask you use and the rate you use.

Where are you located?  There are several places in the Chicago area that could have you going in a couple hours.

Good luck, my friend.
IP Logged
jonny

Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 30th, 2002, 6:42pm »

on Dec 28th, 2002, 10:02pm, Macgyver wrote:

And please save the messages saying how lucky I am so far, I've read the horrors you guys go through, my clusters are like papercuts compared to most of you, I realize this.

Never ever say CH is like a papercut, chronic/ episodic, it all hurts the same.

You say you have been lurking?, then you know who I am.....If for some stupid reason your Doc wont give you 02 you just E-mail me and we will get you some.

....................................jonny
IP Logged
Macgyver

Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 30th, 2002, 8:15pm »

I finally broke down and went to the doc, he gave me 10 imitrex pills, took two and The throb seems to be disappearing.

He also referred me to a Neurologist.

I'm going to demand a CPH test (50mg Indomethicin), after some more research, I think my headaches may not be clusters.  I have all the cluster symptoms, except one, I can't move when I get one, moving makes it twice as bad.  I can't tell if I'm senistive to light or sound because I rarely get them in the day, only when I wake up, and I'm sensitive to light in the morning anyway..

And another odd thing, I have a steam humidifier, if I stick my nose in the steam and breath it, I feel better. The acute attack is gone.  

I wake up with a headache, and generally, 5-6 hrs of shadows later, I'm ok. 5-6 more hours later and it all starts over again.

I'm also concerned about all my self-diagnosis, I'm worried I'll word my symptoms to get the result I want, but it's hard not to when Docs really don't know jack about CPH or CH.

Thanks for all the support Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss