Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 2:36am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Bed Crapping »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2003 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Bed Crapping
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Bed Crapping  (Read 1738 times)
Ted
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Bed Crapping
« on: Jan 1st, 2003, 4:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

That's apparently my computer's latest hobby. So, I won't be online much til it's fixed. And, since my car's what taught my computer how to crap the bed last week when the engine crapped the bed, I'll have to save the money to get a new car before a computer. But, if any of you know what might be wrong with the computer and tell me how to take care of it, I heard a beeping coming from the computer and a waol error message was showing on the monitor (I was offline at the time). I tried shutting down but it wouldn't so I "Ctrl/Alt/Del"ed it and that froze the computer up. I turned it off manually and since then when I try to turn it back on the power to the computer only is on for a second and then it has no power. I've plugged it directly into the wall, as opposed to the surge protector it's usually plugged into. I've switched the monitor and computer's outlets in the surge protector. And I called Gateway, who had someone who had no clue what was happening but said they'll send me a new something cable in case the present one linked to the power supply is faulty. Since he was guessing, if anyone has any other suggestions on what to do and what might be wrong, I'll try and get back online one more time tonight before I head home. Don't know when I'll be around after that though.
 Thanks.
IP Logged
cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Not all those that wander are lost......

cathy_lucas47   cybersis1965
Email

Re: Bed Crapping
« Reply #1 on: Jan 1st, 2003, 4:52pm »

???

Sorry I can't be of any help.... Undecided
IP Logged

My own tears would mean nothing to me, if I could stop you from just shedding one....

RevDeFord
New Board Old Timer

Pain is real if the neighbors know you have it!

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 1st, 2003, 6:17pm »

Waol error would be Wake on Lan.......so that means that your network card has Wake on Lan and it has a problem.  IF you have an actual card, then the answer is to remove the card and replace it.  If it is on the motherboard, then that means that you will probably have to replace the motherboard.  There may be a jumper on the motherboard that will disable Wake on Lan.

In case you don't know, Wake on Lan is a feature that some network cards have which allows a system administrator of a network to turn your computer on over the network connection to facilitate remote software updates, etc. .  It is not needed for your home PC.
IP Logged

I don' know why it hurts, but I pray it will stop.
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 1st, 2003, 7:16pm »

Sounds like it's behaving very similar to mine when the backdoor subseven trojan variant decided to take up residence and wreak havoc with everything.  I don't know what operating system you are running, but you can disable your lan card from the hardware profile, control panel, system, network and right click on the card to disable it.  You may have to do this in safe mode.

Then I suggest you download the trial version of kaspersky antivirus and run it on your system.  Kaspersky was the ONLY antivirus software that was able to detect and clean the trojan variant that was living comfortably in my ethernet and cyberspace.

Doesn't sound like there's much else I can offer for advice though, it's one of those things that you kinda need to see first.  The beep could have been from the Waol error or it could have been from the processor overheating, they are set to shut down at a certain temperature which might be why you can't keep power very long.

It could be alot of things,  but start with the ethernet (NIC) card and disable it, then scan for viruses, trojans or worms.

Cat
IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 1st, 2003, 7:34pm »

Ted....my computer has been actin 'badly' too...I have a freind comein over next week ta take a look at it verses take it in sumwhere (he's a computer guy). Mine won't shut off half the time and gotta click off the surge protector....then it won't come back on.....dead as a doornail so I mess with the power button a few more times before I freak and so far its came back on sooner or later..now I'm 'fraid ta turn it off so I don't. Got it to finally come back on other day and all it'd do is beep.....did have an expensive surge protector on it that's software screw'd up and it would only let the computer be on a couple minutes then shut it down. Had to be fast and get to the program and deleted it. Good luck.....mine's been freezein up also and is less then a year old !! Good luck !! Pam
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2003, 7:36pm by cootie » IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

Ted
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 1st, 2003, 7:42pm »

Thanks all of you. Pam, sounds like some of the problems I was having before it finally stopped working. Everything you described was happening and my computer's just 1 1/2 years old.
 Cat, I'm using Windows ME. Is there any way to disable the lan card without turning the computer on? Because mine won't hold power for more than literally a second. Not even time to have it even think about booting up.
IP Logged
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 1st, 2003, 7:50pm »

Ted what branda computer do you have.....jus curious.....I have a love/hate relationhsip with mine. Mine's runnin slow as molassas too now......hope ya git yer's figure'd out and hopein I do to.....extremly frustrateing !! Pam  Undecided
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 1st, 2003, 8:01pm »

Ted,

Ewwwwwwwwwww Windows ME *shiver*

Yes there is a way to disable it....take the cover off and pull the damn thing out LOL.

It's not hard to do, just open the case, unscrew the back screw that holds the NIC in place and pull it out of the slot.  You may have to wiggle it and really tug at it a bit for it to come loose.  

Windows will then start without it and remove it from the hardware profile.

To start windows ME in safe mode press and hold the ctrl key down while you reboot the machine.

If it won't start even in safe mode, then I'd guess either a virus or a problem with the power source to the processor.

There are other things it could be, but the first thing to try is starting in safe mode, then disable the NIC and if you can't start in safe mode, call Gateway and tell them to get their ass over there to fix their piece of shit machinery hehe.

Cat
IP Logged

Ted
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 1st, 2003, 8:15pm »

Thanks. Now, how do I know what the NIC looks like. As you can see I ain't that bright.  
 It's a Gateway, CootiePam.
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 1st, 2003, 8:24pm »

Dear Teddy,

Better living thru computing, eh? Filthy damned toasters. What's even worse is, if you ask 4 nerds, you'll get 5 answers, because one SOB is going to lie and vote twice.
     Da "Rev" might be on to something with the Wake on Lan, but I don't think so.  
     First thing you should do is test your power supply. If you can't test, buy another one. Usually under $50, and it never hurts to have a spare.  Since you have a Gateway, it's possible you have a filthy "proprietary" power supply, which means you get to pay Gateway triple what the thing is worth.  
     _IF_  you find that the power supply is OK, the WAOL error is quite suspect. Noticed you are using AOL. Any version after 4.0 has been problematic. What am I say? EVERY version has been problematic. Should WAOL.exe become corrupted, you're rowing with a cracked oar. If you can at least get your toaster to boot up and get past the error message, back up your AOL directroy, then DELETE the folder. See if the error message is gone. Re-install AOL, reboot, and see if it works. Copy necessary sub-directories from the backup you made. QED.
    On the other hand, your problem could be due to something entirely different. Bad RAM, CPU fan shot or shorting, possibly a corrution of the registry. Glad we could narrow things down................ :)
   Oh, yeah. Good luck with the car thing, too.

Next opinion, please.........
RJ

PS: Rats. You got several responses between the time I started writing and got it uploaded. No shortage of votes, tho.........
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2003, 8:30pm by Mr. Happy » IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 1st, 2003, 8:29pm »

Hey Mr Happy..........Who you callen a Nerd Angry
LOL

Just cause my pocket protector and thick glasses are present doesn't mean I'm a nerd or puter geek, and I didn't vote twice  Tongue

Cat
IP Logged

Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

Re: Bonus Round!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 1st, 2003, 10:16pm »

All of this techo talk has me a-dither. Checking thru the parts bin, tonight's grand FREE give away is:

A RAM CHIP!!

Can you use it??  I can't.  Doesn't work in my type motherboard.  PLEASE VERIFY that you can use this type chip. Best response takes the prize. In case of a tie, the contestant with the  _Largest Breasts_ wins. Every time.

Don't you just love a good contest? I know I do.

Brings back old "Mammaries",
RJ
IP Logged

cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 1st, 2003, 10:55pm »

I needa memory upgrade module but 'not' in my computer.......and duh.....Ted.......ya said gateway in yer first post......stupid me........sometimes I  scare myself.....Pam
IP Logged

RevDeFord
New Board Old Timer

WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 1st, 2003, 10:56pm »

Ted,

A NIC card has one port on it that looks like a big phone jack.  It is also known as a Network Interface Card, thus the name NIC.  It allows your computer to connect to a network or DSL/cable internet.  If you use a modem with a telepone line for your internet, just open the case, find the card with the big phone jack type port, undo the one screw and remove it.....again, if it is hard wired into the main circuit board, i.e. it is not a card, you need to call gateway and tell them you need help disabling onboard LAN.
IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 1st, 2003, 11:53pm »

Nice photo of the liquor store front, Randy.

Them dijitell kammeras are neet.

Sorry Ted. Sucks.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Lapsi_Harmaahapsi
New Board Veteran

Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 2nd, 2003, 4:32am »

I vote for "motherboard is broken".
My old comp had the same problem and I bought a new power supply which didn't help, new motherboard did.

All the old components worked on the new MB. Couldn't test the processor, though.

If the comp "works" for only a short while the problem could be heat. Are the fans working?
IP Logged

- Aleksi
RevDeFord
New Board Old Timer

WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Jan 2nd, 2003, 6:55am »

Lapsi and others,

The Waol error is never caused by a power supply.  I am seldom forceful with my views, except when it comes to computers.  I work 40 hours a week selling and maintaining 911 systems as well as network and computer systems for more than 3000 clients.
IP Logged

catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

Re: Bonus Round!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 2nd, 2003, 9:14am »

on Jan 1st, 2003, 10:16pm, Mr.Happy wrote:
Brings back old "Mammaries",
RJ

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSS BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  
Oh that's just bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL

Cat
IP Logged

catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Jan 2nd, 2003, 9:17am »

Rev,  

I believe my initial post agreed with you and I still concur emphatically.  When the computer starts a beepin, it is usually from a power overheat, either the CPU or power source.  If the fan on the CPU is pooched it won't start up cause it can't keep kewl.  The waol error could be just another something, that's why I suggested trying to start in safe mode, if safe mode starts it, then it's prolly not a power issue, if it doesn't, then it's time to take gateway up on that warranty.

Cat
IP Logged

RevDeFord
New Board Old Timer

WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 2nd, 2003, 9:20am »

on Jan 1st, 2003, 4:44pm, Ted wrote:
I turned it off manually and since then when I try to turn it back on the power to the computer only is on for a second and then it has no power.

Unfortunately, based on his quote, he cannot boot it into safe mode.
IP Logged

catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #20 on: Jan 2nd, 2003, 9:24am »

DOH

helps if ya read everything LOL

Cat
IP Logged

Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #21 on: Jan 2nd, 2003, 10:07am »

Beeping during boot is a dead give away. Assuming his toaster will stay on thru POST, Wake on Lan can be disabled in CMOS. Can't assume that, so it's time to start checking hardware (Right After trying to boot from a floppy). Won't hurt to yank/disable the NIC card, but bets are it still beeps.  
Power, CPU, or MB. Test ho..........

Quote:
The Waol error is never caused by a power supply.

Quite right. It's caused by AOL, which is probably enabled in his Startup cycle..............

Here's the Microsoft take when searching "Waol Error":

Error Message: Waol Caused an Invalid Page Fault in Module Msvcrt.dll
If you install either of the products listed above on a computer upon which you have already installed America Online 4.0 from the Microsoft Windows 98 CD-ROM, you may receive the following error message when your America Online password is being...
Error Message: WAOL Caused an Invalid Page Fault in Module Kernel32.dll
When you start AOL and then attempt to browse to any Web site, you may receive an error message similar to the following: WAOL caused Invalid Page Fault in module kernel32.dll AOL may then quit unexpectedly (crash), or your computer may stop...
Error Message: WAOL Caused an Invalid Page Fault in Module Wininet.dll
When you attempt to browse the Internet by using America Online (AOL), you may receive an error message similar to the following: WAOL caused an invalid page fault in module wininet.dll.
Waol.exe Causes an Error Message in Windows XP
When you are running America Online (AOL) version 6.0, you may receive the following error message: Waol.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you view the data that the error report contains, the...

Notice somewhat of a recurring theme in there?????

I always enjoy a good family discussion.

_Standing_ Room Only,
RJ
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2003, 10:09am by Mr. Happy » IP Logged

catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #22 on: Jan 2nd, 2003, 10:46am »

Mr,

I'm thoroughly enjoying our conversation!  However, I think Ted may be sitting back going WTF are they talking about LOL

Think perhaps you can give him a walk through of how to fix himself up if he can get boot and get into the CMOS?  I still think Gateway should just come over and replace his machine, but after dealing with compaq on my laptop under warranty and it's 5 return trips to the manufacturer (for a power issue I might add) I know that's a pipe dream.

I don't even know how to make a start disk in ME, it completely fried my 5th computer when I installed it...windoze doesn't play well with dual boot and linux  
Angry  Rule of thumb to live by:  Windows does not play well with others! LOL

As a side note, I NEVER wanted to know anything about hardware, I was interested in programming and systems analysis and that's what I went to school for, unfortunately my computers insisted I learn about hardware the hard way...by it all breaking!

Cat
IP Logged

RevDeFord
New Board Old Timer

WWW Email

« Reply #23 on: Jan 2nd, 2003, 11:48am »

The funny thing is, it may be months before he gets back online and reads this....LOL   ;D
IP Logged

cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #24 on: Jan 2nd, 2003, 12:02pm »

A girlfreind bought a gateway and order'd it...when it came it wasn't the one she thought it was....couldn't jhook up her digital camera or nothin....took her good 3 months and LOTS of irritatein phonbe calls and big time hassles ta straighten it out and then the power button was faulty and she had ta take the front cover off the  ta even use it till she got the new one. They supposidly will come out ta work on stuff and 'no one else can touch there stuff deal'....but she had to wait quite a while fer that. What's this world comein to.....Pam  Smiley
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss