Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 9:44pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « cooling  O2 preparing for battle »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2003 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   cooling  O2 preparing for battle
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: cooling  O2 preparing for battle  (Read 612 times)
TIM_IN_TEXAS
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

cooling  O2 preparing for battle
« on: Jan 3rd, 2003, 8:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

TIM IN TEXAS again, During my reseach on ch and O2 last year I read about an individual who had a method for cooling his O2. I did not record his web site but this certainy makes sense to me. DOES anyone know how to do this? I found in the past that I get some relief from going outside and taking deep slow breaths of cold outside air. Yes it does get cold in South Texas, 35 F this morning. Oh yeh I like to be naked when I do this. I am one sick puppy. Any input would be appreciated. Preparing for battle!
 TIM IN TEXAS
IP Logged
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

Re: cooling  O2 preparing for battle
« Reply #1 on: Jan 3rd, 2003, 9:13am »

No idea how to cool O2, but it does make sense since air conditioning in the face or driving around with your head stuck out the window in the cold air has helped many folks.

As for going outside to breathe cold air nekkid, I think you'll fit in just fine around here LOL

35 cold? LOL  That's a veritable heat wave up here in Upstate NY LOL

Cat
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2003, 9:14am by catlind » IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 3rd, 2003, 9:21am »

Kip is our pioneer in O2 cooling.

At first he used a long tube between his regulator and mask.  Kept an ice chest, full of ice, and threw the extra tube coils in the ice chest.  He was later going to experiment in putting the coils in a container of water and freezing it.  when needed, remove it from the freezer, attach to the reg and mask and suck away.

From the OUCH Research Library:
Cold room air inhalation to abort cluster headaches: an exploratory study
Martha Sue McLeod, Frank Andrasik, Russel C. Packard, Bayard D. Miller

Institute for Human and Machine Cognition, University of West Florida, 40 South Alcaniz Street, Pensacola, FL 32501, USA, e-mail: fandrasik@ai.uwf.edu, Tel.: +1-850-202-4460, Fax: +1-850-202-4440

Received: 2 May 2001 / Accepted in revised form: 7 November 2001

Abstract Research has shown that inhalation of pure oxygen is effective in aborting cluster headache. This article advances the hypothesis that cooling is the critical ingredient behind the effectiveness of oxygen inhalation, rather than the oxygen concentration. To test this hypothesis, eight cluster headache participants used a device that delivered cooled room air as a means to abort headache attacks. Additionally, six of the subjects administered pure oxygen so that comparisons could be made to the air-cooling device. The proportion of cases in which subjects attained effective relief from cluster headache pain by use of the air-cooling device was significantly higher than the proportion of cases in which subjects did not attain effective relief from headache pain. There was no significant difference between the proportion of headaches relieved by oxygen and the proportion of headaches relieved by the air-cooling device. This study raises questions about the mechanisms of action of oxygen inhalation for treating cluster headache, and indicates that future clinical investigations into the use of cold room air for treating cluster headache pain are warranted.  

IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Brassbear

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 3rd, 2003, 9:22am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Tim-in-Texas (TIT?)

The easiest and least expensive way to cool an 02 tank would be to get an empty 5 gallon bucket, or larger, and sit the tank in there. Then fill it with ice and put water on it. Ice water is colder than the ice by itself. You will have to take the water out as the ice melts and add more ice (obviously).

Not much of a suggestion, but what the hell, I tried! ;D

Michael
IP Logged
Jarvis
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 3rd, 2003, 9:10pm »

Easier yet, leave the tank outside and run the hose thru the window......... Another method if you can afford to lose a little o2 would be to remove the regulator and release a short blast of gas, this is the principal of refrigeration and will remove several degrees of heat through the vapors.....  Or better yet run the gas through a restricted hose to another larger empty tank set outside or in ice water, and then your first tank will be chilled. The gas carries the heat out as it vaporizes from the liquid. When the cylinder is at the temp you want shut the valves. Dont let the 2 tanks egualize as they will pull the heat back in as they do so. Your second tank will then go back to the liquid state as it warms and you can reverse the process when ready....... But who with CH has the time for that as you would have to do this every use.... Unless you set up a permanent 2 tank liquid chilling operation with valves and hoses..........mj
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Jan 3rd, 2003, 9:24pm »

Here's what Bob P was referring to.
Click this

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/wwwboard/messages/50042.html
Bob Kipple “Cool O2” May 10, 2000  
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss