Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 12:41am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « 3 P'S »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2003 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   3 P'S
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 3 P'S  (Read 1490 times)
tokray
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

3 P'S
« on: Jan 3rd, 2003, 4:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am a new board newby.  So I guess I should give a little backround of myself.  I am a 35 year old male who has suffered from CH's since I was 18.  Two weeks ago they came back, it has been almost two years pain free.  I suffer from 3-4 per day, day and night.  Last night I started my bout at 5:30 and it lasted 5 horrible hours.  This gave me a lot of time to think.  That's when I came up with the 3 P's.  #1 PAIN  we all know how bad it is and nothing seems to help.  We have tried everything with little or no relief.  I take pain pills and crawl into the dark.  Which brings me to #2 PANIC  if you are a new sufferer you need to learn not to panic.  Slow down.  I have found it hard to get any type of help when I panic.  Explain your situation, get as much help as you can and deal with it.  They don't get better.  This brings me to #3 PATIENCE.  I believe this is the most important P there is.  The beast will go away it is just a matter of time.  Hang in there let people help you.  Especially your spouse.  During my 5 hour headache last night my wife checked on me about every half hour and let me tell you a back rub feels better than any medication you can take.  Try it!  Let them go to your Dr. appointments with you.  You will need their support.  I hope I have made some sense.

TODD
IP Logged
Jabeen
New Board Veteran
USA 

What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

Email

Re: 3 P'S
« Reply #1 on: Jan 3rd, 2003, 5:04pm »

Just wanted to say "hello"...like everyone says here-sorry you had to find us,, but glad you did.  I have never had a 5 hour attack...I have been relatively lucky-the longest one was probably 15 minutes or so.  I never thought I was "lucky" until I found all these people and read horror stories. Made mine look lame.  Anyway-theres a lot of info here-
Jabeen Smiley Smiley Smiley
IP Logged

OUCH member since 9/5/02
jonny

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 3rd, 2003, 5:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Jan 3rd, 2003, 4:57pm, tokray wrote:
 Hang in there let people help you.

Anyone touch's me during a HA will be making a trip to the ER.

But hey!!, thats just me and how I deal.

................................jonny Cheesy
IP Logged
cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Not all those that wander are lost......

cathy_lucas47   cybersis1965
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 3rd, 2003, 5:10pm »

A big hello, sorry you've landed yourself with the beast....5 hours..... seen my hubby go at it for 3 that was bad enough  Undecided

Sending you PF wishes... Wink

Cathy Smiley
IP Logged

My own tears would mean nothing to me, if I could stop you from just shedding one....

2late
New Board Hall of Famer

Ride Free..Pain Free

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 3rd, 2003, 5:55pm »

welcome to the board, you tried it all with no luck? if that's the case i'd need alot more than the P's to get me thru, a 5 hour CH!! good luck bro'                                      ..........2late
IP Logged
cecile
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 3rd, 2003, 5:58pm »

sorry to hear about your pain coming back

i had about 3 or 4 time the same thing as you : unthinkable crisis during so more hours. The 1st time I was so panic that i rush to the hospital where my doc works. In fact when pain is so long, it is not only one crisis but several one after the over. I know that it won't change anything but it may help to have as many as possible  informations on this bloody CH.

take care

cécile

IP Logged
brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 3rd, 2003, 6:02pm »

5hrs - I know what you're going thru... it sucks!!!

You forgot 1 'P'.  The bag of frozen peas!  absolute necessity for me  Grin

hoping for a break for you
IP Logged
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Jan 3rd, 2003, 6:15pm »

Hey tokray,

Those words are valient........Unfortunately,  I  wore them all out like army boots long  ago!  LOL.  

Welcome and well wishes.
Kim
IP Logged
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 3rd, 2003, 6:17pm »

I's gonna say.....if I even "tried" ta touch Brad durein an attack I'd come up with a bloody stump of an arm......yeeks......I have my saftey zone at the other enda the house.....even the cats all stay away. But hey....everone is different. Sorry ya had to go thru a 5 hr CH Todd.....Brad's went 2 hr's or longer at least when his first started up over 15 yrs ago 'plus'....and went a year or so without treatment with at least two attacks per day......6 am and 6 pm.....cuz no one knew what they were. They don''t follow that exact clockwork pattern anymore tho....Hang in there and keep in touch tay.....all I can say is yer wife is brave....ha-ha-ha.......Pam  Wink
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

ave

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 3rd, 2003, 6:22pm »

Tokray, sadly welcome.  

Just one niggling little question. I see you write about crawling away into the dark. I've never been able to do that with a cluster. Crawling all right, but just to keep moving...

You say you take pain pills? Are you getting the right medication? If it is clusters you are having, pain pills don't do much more for you than ruin your liver or/and stomach lining.

Have you tried Oxygen? Have you checked all that's under the buttons to the left here? There's a lot of insights and information. Do check it out.
Maybe you'll find a better way of dealing with the pain. Oh,. and gentle back rubs are great for some of us.
IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 3rd, 2003, 8:12pm »

Welcome to bedlam Tokray. Sorry you had reason to find our little part of the universe but at least here, you have an audience that understands.....really understands what this horror can do.

Like Jonny, if anyone tried anything tacticle with me during an attack, they'd be scraping themselves off the basement floor at the bottom of the stairs after being beaten senseless by a shovel. Good for you though, it sounds like a better deal for you.

Stick around and let us know how you're doing.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
jonny

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 3rd, 2003, 8:22pm »

on Jan 3rd, 2003, 8:12pm, Charlie wrote:

Like Jonny, if anyone tried anything tacticle with me during an attack, they'd be scraping themselves off the basement floor at the bottom of the stairs after being beaten senseless by a shovel.  

Damn Charlie!!!!!, Were we seperated at birth?.......LMMFAO ;D

...........................jonny Cheesy
IP Logged
Anja24BR

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 3rd, 2003, 8:26pm »

Hello everybody...  Cry
I am a new member at the CH's home page... and i guess i should tell you all a little about me... My name is Maria, I'm 24 years old, and i live in Brasil.  
My Cluster Headaches startet a month ago... I have had headaches before but the problem was the high blood pressure. This time i thought maybe it was the glasses that needed to be changed, because the pain was in the right eye only... I went then to the doctor, and today, exactly at 16:30 pm BR time, he told me that I had Cluster...   Sad Then when i came home and logged to the NET and found out this page and started to read about people telling how they are suffering... It really scared me! I'm still scared to think that i have to deal with it for the rest of my life.  
The doctor prescribed me 3 kinds of medicines to easy the pain. But i still don't know if it's really going to work. Well... i hope i can make friends here because everybody here knows what i'm going through.  
And i'm sorry if i have any english mistakes...  
And i'm sorry also if i posted this wrong... I'm still learning how to use it and i hope you people can help me with that. My e-mail is mrdm@uol.com.br if anyone wants to reach me. And also i connected to the chat room but no one was there... i hope next time i find someone to talk to!
That's all i guess... peace to all of you
IP Logged
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 3rd, 2003, 8:31pm »

Its not so much being touched as it is being in control of yourself during the attack...  The reason I try to be a close distance from Dave is because if the "Panic" sets in then the beast takes over... If Dave takes control it doesn't so what I do is gently try to get him to focus when I see that the Panic is coming. I would hate like Hell to be in that kind of pain and feel alone... thats just me.......... works to fight together as long as you respect what the sufferer needs... love ree
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 3rd, 2003, 9:44pm »

Ree....Yeah Brad wouldn't intentionally try and tear my limbs off....but like you said it's when the panic mode sets in or degree of the pain....I think my cats run cuz they don't want to become taxidermy.....ha-ha-ha......I gather up what he wants when an attack hits and set stuff within his reach. I go get busy else where in the house or sit in front of the TV and stare listenin....ya can't help but listen.....(ps: almost forgot.....welcome Anja)  Pam  Smiley
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2003, 9:47pm by cootie » IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 3rd, 2003, 10:15pm »

Welcome Anja.  A gang of us clusterheads get together and chat around 10:30pm or 11:00pm (EST USA) at this location:

http://www.headachesupportgroups.com/index.htm

Stop in and say 'Hi'   Smiley
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2003, 10:19pm by eyes_afire » IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
Brassbear

Email

« Reply #16 on: Jan 4th, 2003, 5:50am »

Up to 7 Kip you can touch me, after that I'm gonna rip yer face off and hand it to you in a plastic baggy!

Pain meds for me have been useless, you sure your not suffering migraines? Imitrex and time so far for me. And hey, what's this crap about a SHORT CH, all of mine are usually at least 3 hours.

Hang in there Tokray

Michael
IP Logged
suzy617
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Love is friendship set on fire

suzy617
Email

« Reply #17 on: Jan 4th, 2003, 7:47am »

Welcome Tokray. I agree with most that if anyone ever touched me during an attack I would rip every piece of hair out of their head! Otherwise I am normally a very peaceful kinda person.  Grin

suzy
IP Logged

When God measures men, He puts the tape around the heart, not the head.
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #18 on: Jan 4th, 2003, 9:09am »

Ree, you brought up  an important issue for cluster sufferers -  being in contol of themselves.  I am almost afraid to say  this but so be it -it  happened....Not ALL the time, but more than a few times I've felt I was not in  control.  There were times when I was home with babies and having multiple attacks throughout the day.  Day in and day out.  Came a time when control was hanging by thread and I got SCARED.  Called hubby at work and begged please come home I'm "AFRAID"....Very  hard for me to share this.  Don't even like to remember it.  I was afraid for the babies....babies crying and needing to be taken care of and me being at a point............A place no one EVER wants to be.  That's all.  We are all  capable of great strength and endurance, but we are ALSO vulnerable to those times when we can LOSE CONTROL with the repetative and viscious nature of cluster attacks.  
3  P's?  Maybe.  Maybe NOT. ???
IP Logged
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 4th, 2003, 9:21am »

It's that Panic P that gets me everytime.  That's when I start feeling like a trapped rat or a cornered wild animal, and it's at that point when things get dangerous.  

That's when Clark will physically restrain me from leaving the house for fear of me finding a tire to stick my head under.

Ree, it's that control that is soooo important for me during an attack.  If I start to feel I'm losing control that's when trouble is truly around the corner.

The wondeful things the beast does to us!

Welcome aboard tokray, be sure to take the clusterquiz and read read read.  You will find more info here and on the OUCH site than anywhere else.  

Cat
IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
Roxy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #20 on: Jan 4th, 2003, 11:40am »

Control is a really big issue with me.  I can feel the panic start the minute I feel the attack starting.  The absolute paralyzing fear that no abortive is going to work...and for me, the thought that anyone is going to see me, talk to me, or touch me during that time.  I think I would rather do anything than have my family witness my dancing with the devil.

I know this is an issue I need to get over.....just can't seem to do it.  Thankfully my family leaves me alone.  I'm not sure they understand, but they figure Mom's always been a little crazy anyway.   LOL   ;D

Good luck and PF thoughts,

R
IP Logged

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. (Einstein)

I used to have a handle on life....but it broke.
Frank

Email

« Reply #21 on: Jan 4th, 2003, 11:57am »

Last night I was sitting here at the computer while sucking on O2. I thought about posting something here, but as the pain approached Kip 7-8, I could not.

So my wife came in and suggested a couple of times that it would be better if I did the O2 while lying down. "Thank you very much, now fucking leave me alone".
IP Logged
brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #22 on: Jan 4th, 2003, 12:17pm »

on Jan 4th, 2003, 11:57am, Frank wrote:
So my wife came in and suggested a couple of times that it would be better if I did the O2 while lying down. "Thank you very much, now fucking leave me alone".

Somehow, they just don't get it. Angry

PANIC and PATIENCE are two keys words to remember.  While being 'hitten', as the pain develops, I try to remember a few things:
1.  'WOW.   I've felt this before and it didn't kill me!' Shocked
2.  'The pain won't kill me;  only my reaction to it!'
3.  'It will go away and everything will be BETTER than normal.' ;D (for episodics)
4.  'Can someone give me a hand getting this fork outta my temple?'

OK.  The last one is a little over the edge.

We are TOUGHER than this beast.  (Why do we have to keep proving it?)  ???
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2003, 12:21pm by brain_cramps » IP Logged
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #23 on: Jan 4th, 2003, 12:18pm »

Could the Panic P be sorta like 'point of no return' fear....to where you aren't sure you'll be able to handle it.....you jus aren't sure.....and fear of goin to a point where nothin would ever return the same if you were to panic bad enuff....did that make sense....I'm jus a supporter so may not have the rite to speak up in every issue but...it was jus a thought.  Pam  Smiley
IP Logged

kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #24 on: Jan 4th, 2003, 12:26pm »

3Ps is a good theory and  can get ya through.  Over the years, the word "TRY" suits me betta.  Not ashamed to  say that sometimes I have failed the 3Ps. ;D  That's when I need my supporter. Wink

Shocked Shocked Shocked
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss