Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 9:34pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « New Guy »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2003 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   New Guy
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New Guy  (Read 1574 times)
helpmyhead27
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

New Guy
« on: Jan 5th, 2003, 1:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am a 27 year old male who has had these headaches on and off for around 10 years or so.  I just found this web site, and to my shock discovered that what I had considered bizarre idiosyncratic symptoms (like stuffed nose, tearing eye) are part of a real syndrome. I had been under the impression that I must have something unusual wrong with my sinus...and just lived with it.

Now I am realizing maybe I can do more than just live with this problem.  Interestingly, since I have dealt with it for so long and did not realize it was a "disease" I never really got very depressed about, although during severe "bouts" I did become a bit scared that I would not be able to function in society if it kept up.  

I have read some of this site and thought I would mention some things I notice about my CHs that I haven't seen mentioned.  After my CHs go away, I usually feel really good- better than before the headache.  I do not usually feel tired, and if I do feel tired, it's a very nice  
kind of tired.  This strange effect leads me to the problem that I don't seek help because there is no CONSEQUENCE to the headaches...they only matter while I'm having them.  

But when I have them they are excruitiating to the point of fantisizing about death.  (Not that I really would consider that option)  I found two ways to "treat" them that I haven't seen mentioned.  One way is to close the nostril on the opposite side from the headache and blow as hard as I can.  In rare cases, this can actually blow the headache out of my head.  In general, it gives me minor relief, and sometimes accomplishes nothing.  Another thing I noticed is that if I wake up with the early signs of a headache, sometimes just getting out of bed and standing up immediately ends it just like that.

But in many cases, the headaches are impossible to treat.  No pain reliever seems to help and it is mostly a battle of mental stamina. So I am wondering, is there any over the counter pain reliever that helps at all?
Or should I just forget it?  Are there any tricks I haven't mention that can cut off the pain?

Anyway, this recent bout I'm having is quite bad.
The low-level version of the headache persists even after the horrible demon or whatever you guys call it is gone.  I've had a kind of low-level CH all day, after a massive 2 hour nightmare earlier.  My usual post-headache satisfaction was shortlived!  What does this mean?  Has anyone else had a bout like this?

One more thing- is any other long-term problem correlated to CHs?  Will we have normal lifespans?
Will our heads explode at age 50?  I didn't see any info on long-term prognosis.

THANKS!

HMH
IP Logged
Jarvis
New Board Old Timer

Email

Re: New Guy
« Reply #1 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 1:35am »

"normal" lifespans? Hmmmm talk with a few here and you can decide on your own.................As far as the head exploding this happens at various ages and is entirely unpredictable as to just when the explosion will occur. ;D.....
IP Logged
KingOfPain
New Board Hall of Famer

Disgusted!

« Reply #2 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 1:36am »

helpmyhead27.............

First thing, welcome to this site.

Secondly, read,read,read. There is alot of helpful, useful info here. The people here are also very helpful & supportive.

Thirdly, after my bouts with the beast, I feel like someone kicked me in the head with a steel toed boot or hit me in the head with a ball-peen hammer. It's as if I have an "inside" bruised head. I am glad you don't suffer these same after-beast effects.

Fourth, I have found no over the counter drug that helps me. If you do find something that works, good for you.

Next, see a Neurologist.

Lastly, if you do have CH, what works for me is oxygen, verapamil, imitrex, & to help keep me out of the ER, I take tylonol 3's (spelling). The 3's are my last ditch effort before ER time.

*Nothing I have spoken of is meant to be a diagnosis or suggested treatment. Consult a Doctor for your symptoms. Preferrably a Neuro.

Good luck & I hope you find something here or elsewhere that helps.

KingOfPain
IP Logged

Arrived August, 1999.

We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter.
- Denis Diderot
Real friendship is shown in times of trouble; prosperity is full of friends. - Euripides
Silver_Dolphins
New Board Veteran

Do you nervously await the blows of cruel fate?

« Reply #3 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 9:46am »

Hi Helpmyhead and welcome.

To answer what I can of your questions, it appears that clusterheads have normal lifespans and no head explosions (though sometimes, that would be a welcomed relief). I have not found a single OTC pain reliever for CH that works. At all. The lingering minor headaches you refer to are common. We call them "shadows". Depending on the severity of the actual attack, shadows have lasted days with me, or until the next visit by the Beast.

Now that you have discovered what you are suffering form, become familiar with it. Get to a neurologist ASAP and get on a treatment path. Read this website, meet these great people that can help so much, and join OUCH. The link for the OUCH website is on the left highlighted iin yellow. Click it.

Soory you had to find us, but glad you did.

PFDAN

Silver Dolphins  a/k/a Barry
IP Logged

Through the corridors of sleep, past the shadows dark and deep, my mind dances and leaps in confusion. I don't know what is real, I can't touch what I feel, and I hide behind the shield of my illusion
marty
New Board Old Timer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 10:19am »

Hi..

Just like you I thought that I had sinus problems.. so did a number of Doctors that I saw - for a period of 5 years, before I finally (at the ER) talked to a Doctor that knew what CH was. It is not un-common for CH'rs to go for many years not knowing what they are suffering from.  

Your post does not say how many times you get hit per day / night, but for me the main problem when it comes to being in cycle is the lack of sleep. How long does your cycle last?

Most of us have our little "private" ways of dealing with the hits..  I drink hot coffee and lots of it, others use frozen bags of peas that they put on their eye, neck, temple or any other place where it provides a diversion. Some stand in a steaming hot shower while others stand in a cold shower..  All the "things" that we do, I am not sure that it really helps against the pain in a physical sense but it provides a diversionary safety blanket - I have never heard of a tough and strong person during a CH attack.. as to myself..  I am pretty pittyful when hit..

Over-the-counter medication..  I know of no such medication.

Follow the advice given above..  read, read and read some more and see your Dr and ask to be sent to a Neuro.  

Marty
IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 10:38am »

Welcome to clusterville, helpmyhead....there are so many good suggestions and fantastic support on this site....I can remember when I was on my 10th year, and it was mild to what I go thru now...I have had clusters for  25 years now...and unfortunately, mine have gotten worse...I am chronic but thank God, pf at this time...thanks to a neuro that really cared about me...and folks at this site that helped me keep hanging in here. You will learn over the years, how to deal with the beast better if you take the suggestions you get here...atleast I have...I can remember times after an attack that I did not feel that fantastic feeling of peace...think I was basically worn out at that time...hang in there and know you have a support system here to help you thru the rough times...God bless...smiles, nancyc
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2003, 10:40am by nancyc » IP Logged
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 1:28pm »

Helpmyhead....welcome ! Brad always swears and HOPES his first signs the ch's comeing back are sinus....to bad he can't convince that demon in his head. He suffer'd more shadows this last episode then usual but he wasn't takein enuff verapimil per dose I noticed later. Good luck to ya......Pam
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 1:38pm »

on Jan 5th, 2003, 1:28pm, cootie wrote:
Brad always swears and HOPES his first signs the ch's comeing back are sinus....

I, too, used to rely on the 'sinus status' until this last cycle.  Its almost 3months PF, but this time its different.  The nostril on that side is still plugged solid about half the time.  Still have the odd shadow, not complaining.

Maybe its the beast's way of letting me know he'll be back.

PFDANs
grant

IP Logged
cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Not all those that wander are lost......

cathy_lucas47   cybersis1965
Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 1:41pm »

Hi helpmyhead....wish I could,  Undecided...... but I think you'll find help here,  help to cope if nothing else....like they've said read as much of the info and print it off...take it to a neuro and hopefully you'll get something to help kick the beast in the butt..... Angry

Let us know how you get on...PF wishes coming your way... Smiley

Cathy
IP Logged

My own tears would mean nothing to me, if I could stop you from just shedding one....

cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 2:48pm »

braincramps...Brad was doin regular nose spray constantly and takein handfulls of advils this past episode...hopein it was anything else but.....ch. He drank beer to relax esp that first week more in the eve's thinkin he was jus stressed and gettin a cold and sinus infection.....and we ate chinese food....man oh man....seems the first several days of the nasal flareup was a blurr of worry....I sorta knew what it was cuz it'd been 3 years and his personality and somea his habits had noticebly changed....was jus sumthin I observed....his eatin habits and how late he stayed up kinda stuff and even a bit of an attitude 'n how he reacted to things. So I am thinkin there are more subtle changes in sum people before they even show symtoms or get pain. Pam
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

domm
New Board Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 3:09pm »

hmh - welcome. No, there isn't any OVC that's going to help. There are a couple of non invasive meds that will abort a CH - the primary one being oxygen. I'm sure you've hit the medications button on the left to see what is recommended.  
You started early. Mine didn't start until I was 44. I'm episodic and 51 now, and my head is still attached despite my little GIF image.
Yes, you can live a "normal" life. You just need a few more "timeouts" than others.
Hang tough. Pull up a chair.
domm
IP Logged
helpmyhead27
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #11 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 4:29pm »

Thanks for all he replies.  To answer some of your questions, I usually have about 1 headache per day, 2 on a bad day.

I think I am episodic, since the last bout was 2 years ago.  However, before that I can't really remember any extended period of time where I didn't have headaches.  I was quite surprised that they all of a sudden stopped 2 years ago.  (Strangely, I had just become so fed up with them at the time that I had went to the doctor, who prescribed some kind of pain killers, but the headaches never came back after that day so I never took any of the meds.)  Unfortunalely, now they are back.

They seem to be correlated with many things people have mentioned on this site- changes in season, warming temperature, lack of sleep.

No one seemed very interested in my method of "blowing the headache out of my head."  But it really makes me curious, because it has worked.  By blowing really hard through only one nostril, something about the air pressure in the sinuses seems to change.  In fact, I can even hear the pressure changing in some cases with a very high squeeking sound.  Usually, when I get to the point that I hear that sound, there is real relief, if not complete disappearance, of the headache.

I am certain my symptoms are cluster headaches- I match the descriptions uncannily well.  But it seems (in my completely amature opinion) there may be a bit overemphasis in the community on neurochemical and neurological aspects as opposed to mechanical properties of the sinuses themselves.

I realize this is not sinusitis, but it definitely has something to do with sinuses.  And the fact that I can blow the headache out by doing something to the sinus pressure suggests there is a strong air pressure component to the way the problem manifests.
This hypothesis is supported by the triggers- changes in season, heating changes, airplane, etc..  Clearly air pressure is a big contributor.  

Yet none of the treatments seem to be targeted at controling sinus pressure directly.  Am I missing something?

HMH
IP Logged
brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 4:39pm »

on Jan 5th, 2003, 4:29pm, helpmyhead27 wrote:

No one seemed very interested in my method of "blowing the headache out of my head."

I have tried that too, with no luck.   The plugged nostril might as well be sealed with Krazy-Glue.

As far as atmospheric conditions,  I've thought about that BUT my cycles are 18months apart, almost like clockwork.  During that time, we usually go through all four seasons.  I say usually, since I'm Canadian.  Some years the summer can be pretty short. Angry

Stick around and keep reading,
grant
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2003, 4:44pm by brain_cramps » IP Logged
domm
New Board Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 4:41pm »

HMH - IMHO, if controlling the sinus' were the answer, antihistamines would work. They haven't for me. Others have even had sinus surgery to "clean out the sinus'" with no effect on CH. I think the sinus discharge is a side effect of the CH, not the cause.

There are lots of alternate treatments and theories about this horrid condition, and I've tried many that don't work before I found what worked for me. Each of us has and what works for me, doesn't work for others.

I'm glad you found something that works for you.
PFDANs
domm
IP Logged
Roxy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 6:17pm »

Hi helpmyhead.....sorry they came back to bite you after a 2 yr. break.   Hopefully, you have move from chronic to eposodic.  They tell me there is that chance.

Sorry you had to find us here....but there are so many people who will help you, it's really amazing.

Scared to try your blowing the nose thing.....fraid I might just blow out what little brains I have left. Smiley

Roxy
IP Logged

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. (Einstein)

I used to have a handle on life....but it broke.
Jarvis
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 6:22pm »

HMH- The sinus isue is one of those standard diagnostic tests that many have gone through on the way to CH diagnosis. That has been done with x-rays to verify that its not the cause...Initially on the way to diagnosis many have been on sinus meds to no avail and often things have gotten worse....... I am sure that many here do as you do by blowing as a natural reaction.......( maybe this is what keeps most of our heads from exploding). Many have done the antihistamine tour as well. But the sinus is definately affected when attacked and just prior..At the end of attack the nostril generally goes from locked shut to running like a faucet for me..It is something many of us feel, similar to you.  Like others have said the nostril is a side effect......  ............ "Maybe if your heart is strong" an otc. asthma or stimulant drug like ephedrine may help. I use no other drug only this in low dose and it does help me in the daytime hours. Be carefull with it if you do as many have had serious consequences from ephedra, and also as ueli pointed out once it is on the doping list for disgualifying athletes. .........mj
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #16 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 7:14pm »

I think all clusterheads probably have the healthiest sinus' on the planet. That's the first thing that is "cured" when seeking relief. Then our eyes are "cured" and then the dentist "cures" us and then the ear, nose & throat doc "cures" us. Doesn't do any good though.

I do have the urge to clear my ears during an attack. Like a scuba diver clears his/her ears while going to depth. Hold the nose closed and blow. Doesn't do any good though.

About the feeling good after a bout......I think that during a bout that a lot of adrenaline is released and the tired-but-feeling-good is left over from that.

You asked are there other long-term problem correlated to CHs?  Yes. You were born with it......a de-formed hypothalamus  Shocked And you'll have it until you die but you won't die because of it.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
marty
New Board Old Timer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 7:25pm »

on Jan 5th, 2003, 7:14pm, BobG wrote:
IYou asked are there other long-term problem correlated to CHs?  Yes. You were born with it......a de-formed hypothalamus  Shocked And you'll have it until you die but you won't die because of it.

Bob..(or anyone else that knows) tell me more about this.  

Marty
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #18 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 7:31pm »

Here ya go Marty. From the OUCH library.

http://www.clusterheadaches.org/library/hypothalamus/index.htm
IP Logged

brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 7:43pm »

Marty:  another one

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s31951.htm
IP Logged
marty
New Board Old Timer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #20 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 7:47pm »

Thanks Bob..

I knew about the internal body clock stuff.. I guess that the Hypo.. ??? threw me off..

And now I make myself look even worse for trying to prove that I am as dumb and ignorant as I look by trying to..  forget it - I'll just shut up now;D ;D

Marty
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #21 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 7:52pm »

The Hypo is an itty-bitty  small gland but does a great deal of stuff. Internal clock, body temperature, seratonin/melatonin release, sleep-don't sleep and others.

edit note:
I can't believe I used the word itty-bitty. Sounds like a sissy wrote it.
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2003, 7:54pm by BobG » IP Logged

cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #22 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 8:11pm »

ittsy-bitsy-teeny-weeny works.....and I'm no sissy ! Pam  Grin Wink ;D Wink
IP Logged

Jarvis
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #23 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 11:49pm »

.BUT, but Pam your a girl and girls are sissies. .....Girls have cooties too.... My boy age 7, just reinformed me of this today like I didnt allready know... Roll Eyes geez sounds like your in denial.
IP Logged
helpmyhead27
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #24 on: Jan 6th, 2003, 3:23am »

It's great to finally have somewhere to talk about this stuff.  I have spent years privately wondering about my headaches and never imagined anyone else would be able to relate.

Anyway, I am curious about the ER, which seems to come up here and there.  I have never been to the ER for a headache, and I am wondering why people are going to the ER?  First, how do you manage to drive there?  Second, does the ER even care about headaches?  Aren't you placed in ther back of the line?  Third, what can they do that you can't do at home?  
Finally, isn't the headache all but gone by the time anyone sees you?

I can understand the pain driving you to do anything, I am just curious about the practical result of going to the ER.    

I was also amazed to hear that some people punch things and jump around in agony.  I haven't done this.  My response is usually either to pace or curl up into a ball with my face down.

I have even found in some situations it is necessary to maintain composure.  For instance, in a social setting, at a movie, or in an airplane.  This can be agonizing, but I have found it possible to just sit still and sweat it out.  I even had a complete conversation with a stranger a few days ago during a CH, although the conversation became more and more her talking and me nodding.  But still, I somehow lived through it.  It makes me wonder how possible it is to live through pain.  

It seems almost like the CH has some kind of profound philosophical lesson attached to it.  I mean, I always feel like "me" is slowly slipping away as the headache escalates and being replaced only by rage.  I try to keep a hold of myself, but my normal thoughts go down from 100% to 50% to 5% to maybe 0.1% of my being.  The rest is just rage and suffering.  Sometimes I even think to myself ironically during the headache (before it gets unbearable) that my diminishing self is kind of "interesting."

Pardon my rambling on..this is my first time connecting to
other people with the same thing.  Do CH's ever not end?  Have you ever heard of such a thing?  I mean can you have the beast for days on end?  Such a state is unthinkable almost, but it is always my biggest fear when I am having a prolonged high-level CHs.  
I think the biggest consolation during the headache is knowing it will end soon.    

I have appreciated the warm welcome!  Thank you!

HMH
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss