Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 4:30pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « New Computer: It's working,...but.... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2003 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   New Computer: It's working,...but....
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New Computer: It's working,...but....  (Read 530 times)
SommelierCH
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I’m awed by the amazing resiliency that we possess

Email

New Computer: It's working,...but....
« on: Jan 5th, 2003, 1:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Got my new computer Thurs. It’s up and running. I ordered it on Christmas Day from Dell. Total price (including taxes, free shipping and a $100.00 rebate coupon that I can’t find in the packing, hummmm.) to my door…$825.00. They built it, and shipped it over New Years in a week. It’s a slick piece of elegance. Two buttons open the hinged case, and the inside is immaculate. A true example of “form follows function”. I customized mine to: edit digital video. I don’t play games so a 32 MB video card is fine, as is the 2.0A Pentium 4 with the 533 mz, quadpumped front side bus (since I’m doing O.K. on a P 111,  .600). I need more RAM, but I can get it cheaper than they offered. It’s got a 7,200 rpm 80 GB, hard drive, and I have two 80 GB external firewire hard drives, for video storage (one hour of DV takes up 13 GB’s). I didn’t need a monitor, speakers, dial up modem etc—BUT—to opt out of some of this stuff, you have to do your ordering and customizing in the “Small Business” section, NOT the “Home/Office” section. When they ask your Business name, I just used my own name, no problems.

I also moved from Window 98 Second Edition (religiously updated, and quite stable) to Windows XP Home Edition. As you know, if you have done this, all my drivers are obsolete in Windows XP, so no peripheral works correctly. I am spending all my time searching driver sites, so I can get everything working. Oh yea, they have updated all the DSL software, since I got mine, so the new computer won’t connect to the net, I had to unplug everything from the new machine and fire up the old standby so I could check in on the board. When I get some extra bucks, I’m thinking of getting something like a “Netgear” DSL router, and hard wire the two together. Any hints on this from Cluster Computer Land?  

If anyone is thinking of a new computer, I highly recommend Dell On-line. I never even spoke to a live person, sometimes that’s a good thing! Let me know if I can help you, I built the same computer, on every computer website recommended in the magazines, and Dell was by far the best for the best price, including a killer support site.

Celebrating one week PF, no triptans, no O2; wishing you all PFDAN,

David J.
IP Logged

Wine is a little like love. When the right one comes along, you know it!
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

Re: New Computer: It's working,...but....
« Reply #1 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 3:01pm »

Where were you when I needed ya...ha-ha.....I seriously thought about a Dell online but was afraid I'd get ripped....or sumthin come messed up or not what I order'd and have that hassle. My girlfreind ourder'd a new Gateway that way and ran into 3 months of hell and they sent the wrong pooter but she had ta threaten em and call every day. I'm not sure what's wrong with mine and hope ta find out this week. I restarted it Friday nite and it wouldn't come back up....blank screen. Either that or it won't come on at all. Or wont shut off less ya yank the power cord. It runs ok fer the most part but I am afraid ta shut it off.....it's been doin suma this crap since I got it tho. (HP pooter)...hope it's jus sumthin clashin and nothin serious....at $ 30.00 an hour I don't want the guy ta have to be there tooo long !!!! Pam
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

jonny

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 3:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

A pic for Cootie!!!

......................jonny
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 3:56pm »

I'm running a Dell Dimension 8100.  Windows XP Pro.  About a year old.  DSL modem from PacBell connected to a Netgear MR814 wireless router.  Works great.  My desktop is connected to the router via ethernet and my sweetie's laptop uses a USB wireless transmitter to connect to the router.  She can connect from anywhere in the house.

I just switched from cable to DSL last week.  Only problem was that I couldn't connect to the web until I changed the settings in the router.  You can only access the router settings via the web.  Had to go back to the old dial-up to change the settings.

I'm seeing dowload speeds of around 150K/sec.  Beats the old dial-up which ran at about 4k/sec.
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2003, 5:23pm by Bob P » IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 5:11pm »

My advice is to order/buy the parts that you feel you need and assembly it yourself.Then you have exatly the puter in your dreams   Wink Wink

Svenn
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 5:28pm »

Ahhhhhhhhhh jonny.......my favorite pic is on here fer all ta see.....I call it 'midevil enda the trail'.. thanx bunches dude......kewl !!!!! I gotta learn how ta do dat....thanx agin !!!!!! Pam  Smiley
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

Larry_James

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 8:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Congrats on the new Dell, I love new computers!  I bought a new computer in Jan 01, but I went for Micron because I wanted the AMD Athlon setup and Dell uses intel pentiums exclusively.  

Like Dell, the Micron is easy to get in to and udgrade.  For Chirstmas I got a new 128 Radeon video card, a 512 meg ram chip, a dvd player, d-link wireless router and a wireless card for my laptop. (business provides this)  I already had the 2 networked, now I can sit here on my couch and surf the web!  I have high speed cable access and the wireless setup is working great!

I ordered a Dell with my previous company and it is still going strong after 5 years.  It is a real workhorse!  Their customer service is outstanding.  I just ordered one of their new PDA's and I love it.  It runs on the windows pocket pc OS, that's why I wanted it.  There new line offers an excellent PDA at a much lower price than the others that use the pocket pc OS.

I would recommend the Dell to anyone, I just wished they offered the AMD processors. Kiss
IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 9:01pm »

Except for Jonnys picture,

Are you all speaking English?

I just want a computer which automatically logs on to CH.COM    when I click on a button.  Is that too much to ask???     LMAO! Linda
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss