Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 1:00am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Using O2 »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2003 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Using O2
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Using O2  (Read 1300 times)
Brassbear

Email

Using O2
« on: Jan 5th, 2003, 7:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I don't have O2 available yet, hopefully by the middle of the week. But I've got some questions about using it and I would appreciate input from those of you with the knowledge and experience

1. At what point, pain level, shadows, etc. do you use the O2?

2. If you can't get to the O2 and the beast is already beating you up, can it be used as an abortive?

Michael
IP Logged
domm
New Board Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Using O2
« Reply #1 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 7:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey Brass - they DO have O2 in Indiana...  Grin
1.) Immediately - the sooner you hit it, the sooner it helps.
2.) yes, at least it has for me. I have seen other posts that indicate it doesn't do much once they're deep into it, but for me, it at least gave me a sense that I was fighting back. and it did seems to knock it out sooner.

hang tough Bro
domm
IP Logged
brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 8:16pm »

bear:

you can always drive about 100 with your head hanging out the window like a dog.  it works -  i found out one night on the way to ER in a cab.  By the time I got there, HA was gone.  I don't really reccommend driving yourself at KIP-10.

grant
IP Logged
Brassbear

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 8:22pm »

Domm: Yes they do. Unfortunately it requires a 'script which I don't have. That is being worked around (bless you jonny!) but I won't have that until later this week. I understand that I will have to experiment some to see what will work for me. We are all different.

Grant: Knowing my luck I would take my head off with a telephone pole or some other equally unmovable object! ;D

A seperate question. I have had a couple of "quite" periods with hardly any shadow or pain, but they never last more than a day or so and sometimes only a few hours. At this point I've not been told whether I'm chronic or episodic. Even chronics get some relief, don't they?

Michael
IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 8:48pm »

Brassbear,  

Oxygen IS  an abortive.  Use it at the very first twinge or what ever you personally call it.

If you can't get to the oxygen,  use a fan, AC unit in car or house, etc.  the colder the better.  A last resort would be to drive around the block with head sticking out window.  Have someone else drive you.  YES!!! I've been there and done that.  Oh God how we must look to the neighbors sometimes.    

A   P.S. here......when you do get the 02 bottles.  Don't run out on a Friday night. Linda
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Not4Hire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

...WAS PF since Oct.'02, but ...oh my...(CBusters)

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 5th, 2003, 9:25pm »

I am always drawn to posts about o2.....

in the words of Norman Maclean, who wrote "A River Runs Through It".....  

"I am haunted by waters......"

...so many here have found solace with this *treatment*

and I hope *you* can get get a 'script for o2....   jonny IS the recognized and undisputed KING of o2.... he won't tell ya wrong......and he WILL help ya get *around* not being able to get o2 thru *normal* channels.... Gawd Bless him......

the rest of us ....like Linda_Howell..... will testify that this is the *cleanest* abortive there is........ and I exhort ya to read up on this *treatment*.....  

and I wish ya the best..... good luck in yer search for a *key* to managing this MOFO......  

yer bro-in-pain.....N4H(Steve)...who's mostly CH PF right now....and still pullin' an oar......... ;D

IP Logged

Mantra: This will NOT kill me...This will not KILL me... This will not kill ME...
SommelierCH
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I’m awed by the amazing resiliency that we possess

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 6th, 2003, 10:36am »

The Brasster:

Sorry I have to hit and run. I gave this to you before, read it again. I will send hugs and kisses in the next package.

What works for me is a triptan, Maxalt MLT 10mg. or Zomig ZMT 5mg. (fast acting, under the tongue dissolving tablets, NOT the regular tablets) combined with oxygen therapy. You can’t get many Maxalt tabs from insurance (6 per month max. for me) so you have to save those for the Big One and you can’t take more than 2 in any 24 hour period, so the oxygen is absolutely necessary for all the other times you feel the shadows creeping in. Go to the search button in the top right corner and type in “oxygen” and read up. This site is your one stop information resource, so start reading all the categories on the left hand side of the page, read it all, the more knowledge you have the better you can communicate with the medical community. Be sure to read about and do a search for “triggers”, these are catalysts that can really set us off. My triggers are alcohol (even the smallest amount, like a non-alcoholic beer) and bright light in my right (cluster side) eye. When I feel the shadows creeping in I hit the Oxygen and that pushes them back. However, when I’m asleep I can’t feel the shadows increasing and I wake up with the Big One. Jonny clued me in that if you take abortive triptans (I use Maxalt MLT 10mg. or Zomig ZMT 5mg., both are quick dissolving tabs) before going to bed, they can prevent that night time attack, especially if you get hit, like I do, within 2 hours of going to sleep. The half-life of both of these tabs is in the 2-3 hour range. This has enabled me to get quality sleep these last 2 weeks. Avoiding triggers during your cycle can dramatically affect the intensity, duration and number of attacks.

Go kick some ass,

David J.
IP Logged

Wine is a little like love. When the right one comes along, you know it!
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 6th, 2003, 10:40am »

Hey bear - sorry to hear that you are playing the waiting game.  Back in the 80's O2 worked wonders for me - then during the 90's it didn't do very well with the beast.  Now my cycle last year it worked again   Cheesy

It's all trial and error and you will need to see what works for you.  For me personally - I take O2 at the onset of the attack and it usually runs the beast off within 15 mins.

Good luck to you,
Mia
IP Logged
fubar
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 6th, 2003, 1:21pm »

Everybody is different, so your mileage may vary...

Before O2, my attacks would reach Kip10 and stay there for a good 40-50 minutes, give or take.  Using O2 as an abortive, I can control the attack before it gets much past Kip5, and it nornmally is over within 15 minutes.

O2 has saved my sanity.  I am chronic, and without O2, I would probably be a statistic supporting the suicide-headache moniker.

-Fubar (but getting better)
IP Logged

"He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
cecile
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 6th, 2003, 2:21pm »

1. as soon as possible

2. for my part it seems to anaesthetize it a bite...(when the pain is not "maximum" 'cause in this case nothing can help)

cécile
IP Logged
Slammy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lust Without Remorse! Love Without Regret!

strider_39  
Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 6th, 2003, 2:43pm »

Linda's advice is right on...... one to live by!   Cheesy

Slammy   Cool
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2003, 2:43pm by Slammy » IP Logged

That's it! Everyone out of the pool!

" Everytime I try to get out, they PULL me back in! "
Lenny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 6th, 2003, 4:41pm »

Brassbear,
 You are chronic when your cycle has lasted a year Shocked,how long has this cycle been?Hopefully PFD coming your way.
IP Logged

yes a newbie,unfortunately not to the beast!!!Chronic - Clusterhead
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 7th, 2003, 8:15am »

on Jan 5th, 2003, 8:48pm, Linda_Howell wrote:

A   P.S. here......when you do get the 02 bottles.  Don't run out on a Friday night.      Linda

ROFLMMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a very important point to remember!  And if you should forget and run out on a Friday, you won't EVER do it again! LOL

O2 will abort about 60% of my HA's which is a considerable improvement over the 0% that was being aborted before I found O2. Smiley

Cat
IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
Brassbear

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 7th, 2003, 10:03am »

OK, now I have a regulator. I have a non-rebreather mask. I called the local welding equipment suppliers and played 20 questions. I have to sign a 5 year lease and put a depoist on the tank. Of course there is a fee every time the tank is filled. The lease has to be paid "up front". Is this typical?

The first company I called didn't even want to rent or lease to me. I think they thought I was doing something illegal.

Michael
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #14 on: Jan 7th, 2003, 10:47pm »

"I think they thought I was doing something illegal."

Breathing welders O2 probably is illegal. Hard drugs from the street are also illegal.

But who gives a shit! As long as it works, go for it.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
jonny

Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 3:37pm »

on Jan 7th, 2003, 10:03am, Brassbear wrote:
OK, now I have a regulator. I have a non-rebreather mask. I called the local welding equipment suppliers and played 20 questions. I have to sign a 5 year lease and put a depoist on the tank. Of course there is a fee every time the tank is filled. The lease has to be paid "up front". Is this typical?
Michael

No, its not typical.....Other than my 60, I lease 6 336 cubic inch tanks at $100 a piece and by the year. Plus the $600 lease charge is spilt up in 12 months.

You could either buy a new 60 (about $150) and just pay for refills or tell them that you own Mikes welding and need a 60 of 02 for jobs on site, if they think you own a welding company they will work with you thinking you buy more stuff from them. Or try another gas house.

.......................jonny
IP Logged
ziggy
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #16 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 5:59pm »

ziggy here im kinda confused about the welding o2. iuse o2 myself.works in most cases.medical o2. if youguys aregoing to a welding supply store,why don't you get regular breathing air cylinders wouldn't that be safer.like what the fire dept. uses for a fire these are called s.c.b.a. self contained breathing appuratus. the big cylinders like welding cylinders are called s.a.r. supplied air respirators. i am in the environmental business. we use these type when we are in nasty situations. i've used these when i couldn't get medical o2. i'm not sure what the % of o2 is for welders o2 but i do know its not real clean air because they don't use an oilless compressor to fill with.so just be careful guys.i just got on this site this last week caus my ch's have returned after ayear without them. you guys have helped me alot this week just knowing someone else actually knows what i feel like.i'm glad you guys are out there and will stay in touch.
IP Logged
Brassbear

Email

« Reply #17 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 6:19pm »

jonny: Yeah, I thought that was out of line. There are other places that I can check but they are all at least 30 miles from my house. It will be worth it though.

Ziggy: Sometimes you have to do what you have to do to get what you need. I've been fighting with the VA to get what I need for these attacks. They have already told me that they will not pay for nasal spray imitrex or an O2 tank. I told them I didn't care, just give me the 'scripts so I could get them myself. I really can't afford that, but what the hell. We will find a way. I would have no idea how I would go about getting the equipment that your talking about. If you have something to share, let us ALL know. As far as using the welding O2, there are a lot of clusterheads in the same boat that I'm in. Some of them having been doing it for a long time and as often as needed.

I get a day of peace and then the shadows are back. I'm tired and getting fed up. I know you've all felt like I'm feeling right now. I know I'll live through this but my frustration and stress level is starting to max out.

If it were not for the people and the information on this board I don't know where I would be. I do have a great supporter and she is hanging in there with me. It has to be just as frustrating for her.

Michael
IP Logged
domm
New Board Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #18 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 6:29pm »

To clarify ziggy's questions - O2 is not the same as breathing air used for SCBA's. Oxygen is pure, both welding O2 and medical grade O2. The difference between the two is the type of connection on the bottle and a bit more paperwork for the "medical" O2. But, the O2 in the bottle comes from exactly the same place as the medical O2.
Breathing air used in SCBAs is just that. Compressed breathing air. They clean it up a bit - remove dust and pollen, any humidity (moisture) and of course any pollutants that could come from the compressor. Breathing air is about 70% nitrogen, 20.5% oxygen and the rest is made up of inert gases like carbon dioxide, argon,etc.
FireFighters use breathing air in their SCBAs, but use medical oxygen for first aid and smoke inhalation.
Hope this helps.
IP Logged
jonny

Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 6:37pm »

Damn Domm!!!!,

You not only know your shit, your fast.

Beat me to it.....LOL

........................jonny Cheesy

HA!, ya did forget on thing, Domm

Has anyone ever seen a cutting torch work on less than 99% 02?

It dont, at least not worth a shit!!!
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2003, 6:42pm by jonny » IP Logged
ziggy
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #20 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 6:38pm »

brassbear i feel and understand your frustration.the beast makes you asurvivor. we all know you have to be supermanto even deal with it. i didnt mean anything by what i said.i've been monitoring this site this week and found many seasoned vetearns to the beast. i'm sure what has been posted works. most of the time where you get welding o2 is the same place you get breathing air cylinders also. breathing air is different than medical air.plus your local fire dept. can fill a breathing air cylinder for you and not cost you a arm and leg.just trying to help.
IP Logged
Brassbear

Email

« Reply #21 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 6:46pm »

Hey Ziggy, No offense taken! Believe me, I appreciate you trying to help. And by the way, I see your a newbie that I've not met before. Welcome to the board. Now grab and oar and start rowing like everyone else. Sorry to have to welcome you to the family but you could not find a better place to be. The folks here are very knowledgable and supportive.

I know you all understand my frutstration. I'm well aware that this is old hat to you guys, but this is MY first experience with ch. I'm not a "newbie" to pain. I've lived with chronic pain for many years now and I deal with it. The beast on the other hand is something I've never had to deal with and it's wearing me down.

Michael
IP Logged
domm
New Board Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #22 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 7:12pm »

Bear - I know that this shit can get old real fast. Hang in. It does get better and the pain does go away. It pisses me off that some of my fine midwest brothers are trying to rip you on a bottle of friggin O2. What the hell else would you use it for - welding or breathing. I don't think its good for cooking up drugs..... christ, what would you make, hydrogen peroxide for the "blonde" market..... lots of "doh" in that !
Bear - push comes to shove - I have some bottles that I'm paying rent on and not using. Call me - 269-544-0263 or hit my email in my profile. I'm four or five hours away.

ziggy - you are a good egg. Keep posting and trying to help. as Jonny says - grab an oar and start rowing, brother.
PFDANs
domm
IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #23 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 7:38pm »

Ziggy, in one point you are definitely on the wrong side: If  somebody had the crazy idea to use oil to lubricate an oxygen compressor  the resulting exploson would blow him to pieces, making him a canditate for the Darwin Award.

For the same reason, never use oil if you think the valve on your tank is a bit sticky.
IP Logged
Lenny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #24 on: Jan 9th, 2003, 9:43am »

Bear,
 I cant help you on the o2,in the mean time while you are working on getting that all set up,i can send you some imatrex( inj. ) if you want ( providing that your heart is in good cond. high blood pressure, etc.). If this is something you might want send me a note with an address and i will get it out to you A.S.A.P.
IP Logged

yes a newbie,unfortunately not to the beast!!!Chronic - Clusterhead
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss