Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 2:55am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Just a Mother? This ones for U Mizfinn ;) »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2003 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Just a Mother? This ones for U Mizfinn ;)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Just a Mother? This ones for U Mizfinn ;)  (Read 525 times)
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

Just a Mother? This ones for U Mizfinn ;)
« on: Jan 7th, 2003, 1:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

A woman named Emily renewing her driver's license at the Clerks office was asked by the woman recorder to state her occupation.

She hesitated, uncertain how to classify herself.

"What I mean is," explained the recorder, "do you have a job, or are you just a .....?"

"Of course I have a job," snapped Emily.  "I'm a mother."

"We don't list 'mother' as an occupation... 'housewife' covers it," said the recorder emphatically.

I forgot all about her story until one day I found myself in the same situation, this time at our own Town Hall.

The Clerk was obviously a career woman, poised, efficient, and possessed of a high sounding title like,  "Official Interrogator" or "Town Registrar."

"What is your occupation?" she probed.

What made me say it, I do not know...  The words simply popped out.

"I'm a Research Associate in the field of Child  Development and Human Relations."

The clerk paused, ball-point pen frozen in midair, and looked up as though she had not heard right.

I repeated the title slowly, emphasizing the most significant words.

Then I stared with wonder as my pronouncement was written in bold, black ink on the official questionnaire.

"Might I ask," said the clerk with new interest, "just what you do in your  field?"

Coolly, without any trace of fluster in my voice, I heard myself reply, "I have a continuing program of research, (what mother doesn't), in the laboratory and in the field,  (normally I would have said indoors and out).

I'm working for my Masters, (the whole darned family),  and already have four credits, (all daughters).

Of course, the job is one of the most demanding in the humanities, (any mother care to disagree.?.)  and I often work 14 hours a day, (24 is more like it).

But the job is more challenging than most run-of-the-mill careers and the rewards are more of a satisfaction rather than just money."  

There was an increasing note  of respect in the clerk's voice as she completed the form, stood up, and personally ushered me to the door.

As I drove into our driveway, buoyed up by my glamorous new career, I was greeted by my lab assistants - ages 13, 7, and 3.

Upstairs I could hear our new experiment, (a 6 month old baby), in the child-development program, testing out a new vocal pattern.

I felt triumphant! I had scored a beat on bureaucracy! And I had gone on the official records as someone more distinguished and indispensable to mankind than "just another mother."

Motherhood.....What a glorious career!  Especially when there's a title on the door.

Does this make grandmothers "Senior Research Associates in the field of Child Development and
Human Relations"

And great grandmothers Executive Senior Research Associates"? I think so!!!

I also think it makes Aunts "Associate Research Assistants".
IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Chronic and still alive --- I Win!

Re: Just a Mother? This ones for U Mizfinn ;)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 7th, 2003, 3:09pm »

Very nicely put Cat.  Makes for a great title for a business card.
IP Logged

"If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".

Proud Dad of a US Marine, and a former Marine turned Police Officer.

echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Chronic and still alive --- I Win!

« Reply #2 on: Jan 7th, 2003, 3:16pm »

Building off this title, If I get layed off I'll have a new title.

SD - FRCDHR
Sperm Donor for Field Research  of Child Development and Human Resources ;D

I'll go lay by my dish now.

« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2003, 3:43pm by echo » IP Logged

"If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".

Proud Dad of a US Marine, and a former Marine turned Police Officer.

suzy617
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Love is friendship set on fire

suzy617
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 7th, 2003, 7:23pm »

Good one Cat.  Now I have to go and change my resume, I'm sure I'd get a better job using that title!

suzy
IP Logged

When God measures men, He puts the tape around the heart, not the head.
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Jan 7th, 2003, 10:23pm »

Thanks catlind (and a women named Emily).

You did good for all the mothers, grands and greats everywhere.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 7th, 2003, 11:02pm »

"Domestic engineer" is what I always called it......Pam  Smiley
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

mizfinn

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 1:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thank You Cat!  After bringing up three sons, I figure I should be an expert in the field! But, I do feel I need another lifetime to assess how I managed to make three very differant human beings into such caring people! Everything was against us, but, somehow we stuck together and got three diplomas and best of all STAYED OUT OF JAIL!  LOL  PROFESSOR FINN  LOL
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss