Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 2:01pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « 20/20 program »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2003 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   20/20 program
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 20/20 program  (Read 665 times)
barbee

Email

20/20 program
« on: Jan 11th, 2003, 3:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Last night's TV program (1/10/03) featured a segment on headaches.  The claim is that headaches are caused by medication, both OTC and prescription.  From then on it's "Rebound".  

The solution?  Taper off the meds, or go cold turkey.  They had testimonials from both methods, who  claimed they got rid of the headaches, with absolute misery in the process, but now are headache free.

Worth a try ??? ???
IP Logged
jonny

Email

Re: 20/20 program
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11th, 2003, 3:21pm »

Tried going cold turkey over a year ago and the beast put his foot so far up my ass it came out my mouth.

I will kill anyone that tries to take or denies me my meds......ANYONE!!!!!!

.........................jonny
IP Logged
Donna
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Jan 11th, 2003, 3:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This can't be accurate.  When mine started, years and years ago, there were no preventatives or abortives.  Cold turkey was the only way and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.  

So, what made them start up each spring and fall for 28 years?  That biological clock doesn't need us to reset it...it goes off by itself.
IP Logged
sailpappy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

sail_pappy   sailpappy1
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 11th, 2003, 3:59pm »

;D ;D Hello All,
     I don't know where they got their opinions, but as a very long term sufferer who has been both routes I can tell you from my personal experience, I do believe in rebound headaches, but these are usually limited to people that are taking strong pain meds(IMHO) I went completely drug free in 1989, even OTC meds like asprin, Ibuprophen,tylonol, Goodie's Ect.
     I have tried every headache treatment there is and nothing ever helped, when I did go drug free I had been taking Talwin for 6 years, 100 pills every 4 days from the first week.
     I quit because I saw a two year printout of my pharmacology record. $7,000.00 for talwin in 2 years
     But until this past year when I gave up on the tuff it out therory and my Neuro put me on a low dose of oxy contin I never missed a single day without having 5,7,10,12,15 attacks a day, 7 days a week. 365 days a year for 33 years.
     Oxy Contin, even with all it's bad press has for the first time ever, completely stopped my attacks! end of story.    Pappy

IP Logged
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 11th, 2003, 4:12pm »

Ditto what Jonny said.

I tried that route, Dr Haas, the supposed exalted head of neurology of Syracuse University sat across the desk from me (never once examining me or my records) said I had analgesic overuse headaches, or rebound headaches and took me off all meds cold turkey.  Including the prednisone I was on at the time.

YEah it got rid of the rebound headaches which I was having, but I have yet to experience any rebound headache that feels anything like a white hot icepick stuck in my right temple and poking out my right eye.

Needless to say, the CH came back and kicked my ass.

Cat
IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 11th, 2003, 4:18pm »

Rebound headaches are one thing.  Cluster headaches are another.  

Clusterheads have a hypothalamajiggy (yes, I can spell hypothalmus) that works differently than non-clusterheads.  Going on or off meds isn't going to change that.

Why is this such a difficult concept to grasp?
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
ave

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 11th, 2003, 5:52pm »

Margi is right.

What they WERE talking about is the meds-dependent headache, of which there are a great many suffereres.

A woman I know talked once too often about her headaches (which she called migraines - 'cause they were really bad headaches...)

So I asked her about them. She took paracetamol and aspirin and nuroprufen (?) every day!

(I read her bits of the chapter in my headache book and she has since stopped taking the otc meds.  She was ill for a month,  that's how bad it was. But she is over it now and the the headaches ate a lot less intense)

NOTHING to do with clusters. But a common misconception. So if you think you have rebound headaches, don't talk to uneducated mundanes about it. You'll be doing clusteer knowledge a disservice.
IP Logged
Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 11th, 2003, 8:32pm »

on Jan 11th, 2003, 3:21pm, jonny wrote:

I will kill anyone that tries to take or denies me my meds......ANYONE!!!!!!

.........................jonny

on Jan 11th, 2003, 4:18pm, Margi wrote:
Rebound headaches are one thing.  Cluster headaches are another.  

Clusterheads have a hypothalamajiggy (yes, I can spell hypothalmus) that works differently than non-clusterheads.  Going on or off meds isn't going to change that.

Why is this such a difficult concept to grasp?  

IP Logged

Click The Flag
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 11th, 2003, 9:55pm »

Ditto what Donna said... they didnt have imatrex when Dave first started suffering and he would forego the cycle with no drugs... it didnt stop the attacks from coming... Some have success with meds some don't... Some chronics haven't been on meds and it hasn't stopped the attacks... To each Doc their own opinion.  Now that you all can use a preventative... and an abortive, be it O2 or imatrex, zomig, maxalt etc... If it helps don't go with out ~~~ A rebound is still NOT a CH... and all the power to you Pappy... If you have your CH under control and are being closely monitored by a Doctor on Oxy... good for you... PFNAD  to you Ree
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 12th, 2003, 7:38am »

Two words:

Read the fuckin' OUCH Research Library!
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 12th, 2003, 8:12am »

Bob,

That's 6 words  Grin

Cat
IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
2late
New Board Hall of Famer

Ride Free..Pain Free

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 12th, 2003, 10:06am »

i went cold turkey for 15 mins. once.......NEVER AGAIN!                                    .........2late
IP Logged
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 12th, 2003, 12:35pm »

Which came first...the chicken or the egg comes ta mind on this one....have 'bout as much luck if ya tried this product below....this is an 'actual' product on the market ...good grief !!! I'm sure they have a human version....(I realize aroma theropy has it's benifits).....no plug in is gonna relieve my stress or my cats.......since were talkin bout rediculous ideas.....here's the actual product listeing:  

Comfort Zone™ with Feliway®
Feline Behavior Modification Plug-in
Great for reducing holiday stress from visitors or travel !  We have Feliway  Spray too!
Comfort Zone Plug-In with Feliway, a formula that mimics the feline facial calms and reassures cats and kittens. Reduces or completely stops stress-related behavior including: urine marking, vertical scratching, loss of appetite, reduced desire to play or interact. Not a drug or tranquilizer. Odorless and non-toxic, does not affect humans. Veterinarian recommended.     Comfort Zone is also available for dogs.

IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

Mastifflvr28
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Freddie's eyes

LVT27
WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 12th, 2003, 1:04pm »

Cootie, we have that feliway crap at work!!
Nobody's bought it yet (expensive) so don't know if it works yet.
Mast
IP Logged

Mastifflvr28 (aka Michelle A.)
Be part of the solution
http://www.ouch-us.org
OXYGEN!!!
http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm
bazman1
New Board Newbie

what a life

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 12th, 2003, 1:22pm »

a new survey out in britain about clusters explains that clusters/headaches are caused by the grey cells or something like that over producing and thus causing clusters (crap read but made great toilet roll
IP Logged

bazman1
Cerberus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Whomever said that two heads are better than one?

Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 14th, 2003, 6:22pm »

I'm with Jonny and Sailpappy on this one. Take away my meds, your insurance better be paid up, and be ready to die.
  There is no doubt that OTC pain meds, at lest in my mind, can cause "rebound" headaches. I dare , however, to differentiate between CH and the average Ha. The "cold turkey" method may work for the avg. Ha but I seriously doubt that CH would respond favorably, and wonder why anyone with CH would even entertain the notion.

Cerebus
IP Logged

I would rather face the end with terror than terror without end. - (Deitrich Sawatsky 194?)
Kirk Huff
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #16 on: Jan 15th, 2003, 12:38pm »

It seems to me that CH's were not included in this little study.  I don't know about the rest of you but when I started getting CH twelve years ago and I wasn't taking any medications (OTC or prescribed).  Not only that but because I was only 19 and out on my own I didn't even see a doctor for about a year.  How is it that I got and continued to get CH's when I wasn't even taking any meds?!  Hmmmm...  The masses need to be educated on the difference between HA's and CH's

Huff
IP Logged
brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #17 on: Jan 15th, 2003, 12:47pm »

Just an 'aside' comment.

Because my bouts are short, by the time I get to see a doc or neuro, they are usually gone.  That said, I haven't taken anything for CH for more that 5 years.

On top of that, for the first 15yrs they would last 6-8 weeks.   In the last 5 years (with no meds), they usually last about 3 weeks.  go figure!!!

coincidence?  food for thought, at least

Grant
IP Logged
Brassbear

Email

« Reply #18 on: Jan 15th, 2003, 12:50pm »

First things first; How do they explain people who have headaches that haven't taken any medicine of any kind?

Second, that program has caused me problems at work. Now the nurser practioner that I work with has it that if I wasn't taking all of these other medications I wouldn't have CH. Bless her heart. I find it odd that SHE was the first one to suggest using O2 and thought I might be having clusters before I was diagnosed!

Michael
IP Logged
talitha
New Board Newbie

Walking by faith

Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 15th, 2003, 12:56pm »

that sort of coverage really didn't help us much-I know that alot of my friends and family and co-workers watched that 20/20 segment.  I am a little tired of defending these stupid ch, or thats what i feel like i'm doing when i have to say
"what i have is cluster headaches, they are not caused by otc or prescription med rebound, they are not affected by my menstral cycle or lack thereof, they are not migraine, and NO I DON"T WANT TO GO LIE DOWN IN A DARK QUIET ROOM! Angry (sorry about that yelling) Embarassed
I vote we rename this cluster syndrome or synaptic anomaly syndrome just drop that minimizing word "headache".
talitha
IP Logged
brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #20 on: Jan 15th, 2003, 1:02pm »

on Jan 15th, 2003, 12:56pm, talitha wrote:
just drop that minimizing word "headache".

Now your talking.  We have to find a REALLY descriptive name with a CATCHY acronym.

IP Logged
Kirk Huff
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #21 on: Jan 15th, 2003, 1:56pm »

How about Cluster Fuck.  Wait a minute... never mind, that would make all of us Cluster Fuckers!

Good Idea - Bad Idea Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss