Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 13th, 2024, 12:24am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Other names for CH »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2003 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Other names for CH
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Other names for CH  (Read 388 times)
Brassbear

Email

Other names for CH
« on: Jan 22nd, 2003, 9:23am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Recently a post said it would be nice if we could put something on a job application besides cluster headaches.

The old name for it is "Horton's neuralgia" or "Harris' neuralgia". According to this book they were two of the physicians who first studied and described CH.

The book also says that in Britain it is still known as "Episodic migrainous neuralgia". I don't know the validity of that but many our bro's and sis's across the pond might.

The book also gives a bunch of "alternative therapy" treatments for CH. Some I found to be down right humorous!

If you interested the book is: An alternative medicine definitive guide to headaches by Robert Milne, MD, Blake More with Burton Goldberg. Future Medicine Publishing, Inc. ISBN 1-887299-03-3. Copyright 1997. The book originally sold for $23.95 US but I got it at Half-Price-Books for $7.98

Michael
IP Logged
brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

Re: Other names for CH
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Even more than "ice-pick headache", the one I   HATE   the most is "suicide headache".

IP Logged
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:30pm »

I can think of a MULTITUDE of other names to call this hideous affliction, however I don't think they'd do well appearing on a job application Tongue

I have always said it feels like a white hot ice pick stuck in my right temple and out my right eye.

Those rare times when it reaches the level of "suicide" headache, is when nothing else in the entire world matters but coping with the pain.

The ER nurse asked me if I wanted a ball peen (sp) hammer the other day - she bout fell over when I said yes  Grin

Cat
IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 22nd, 2003, 1:07pm »

years ago I told an ER nurse "just knock me out.  I don't care if you use a FARKING hammer".

had her rolling on the floor...   right before I got my double-demerol    Cool
IP Logged
Brassbear

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 22nd, 2003, 1:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Yeah, I didn't put "suicide headache" or "Histamine headache". I figured everyone had already heard those. I hadn't seen the other three names mentioned anywhere. Wink

I got demerol in an ER ONCE. I don't know what happened. I woke up in a wheelchair and they told me I had a reaction to it. Shocked

Yep, I get the ice-pick through the left eye into the brain and out the top of the head. At the same time I get a lot of pressure at the left temple and the left side and back of my head feels "bruised". Neck muscles get sore on the left too. Angry

Michael
IP Logged
Roxy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:02am »

BobP posted a paper from GlaxcoKlineSmith on the OUCH site, it's a result of the imitex study.  They used a few names I had never heard before.  They said:

Previously used terms for cluster headache include: erthroprosopalgia of Bing, ciliary or migrainous neuralgia (Harris), Horton’s headache, sphenopalatine headache, Vidian and Sluder’s neuralgia, and hemicrania periodica neuralgiforms ().

Course, I always use the term #%+*#@F^*#$
IP Logged

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. (Einstein)

I used to have a handle on life....but it broke.
SteveY
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

Pain is a state of mind, my mind says it F** Hurts

srichards1958
Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:24am »

I saw a neuro once who called it Trigeminal Autonomic Cephalgia ???

Sound good don't you think? Cheesy

Steve
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss