Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 13th, 2024, 4:22pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hope for Newbies (and others) »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2003 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hope for Newbies (and others)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hope for Newbies (and others)  (Read 364 times)
mgreg
New Board Newbie

Email

Hope for Newbies (and others)
« on: Jan 23rd, 2003, 4:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just wanted to type a few lines to let new people know that sometimes, relatively simple things will work for you. Educate yourself and see a doctor. Don't be afraid to ask for a specific treatment option that you would like to try.

Many people on this board are extreme cases and my heart certainly goes out to them! In no way do I mean to minimalize their suffering but reading their posts can make a newbie feel rather helpless.

My first bout was 7 years ago. Every other night around midnight. It took months to get to a knowing doctor and get them under control. Pain free until November when they were back with a vengence. I read up here and elsewhere and went to my family doctor. He put me on a low dose of Verapamil and gave me several pain meds to try. I tried to find a good neuro becasue my last one has stopped practicing but here in PA we are having insurance malpractice troubles and MANY doctors are leaving the state. My earliest appt would have been MARCH! A week later at my request my family doctor  gave me Imitrex tabs to try and they were a huge help to me. Yeah, they took a while to help but knowing they would help was half the battle. Two weeks later with no reduction in attacks I went back and suggested a much higher dose of Verapimil. He agreed and in another week I was and continue to be Pain Free!

Lucky, I know! But someimes it IS that easy.

Good luck to all you sufferers out there!
IP Logged
echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Chronic and still alive --- I Win!

Re: Hope for Newbies (and others)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23rd, 2003, 4:32pm »

Nice note mgreg,  
Glad to read that information you found on the site help arm you with the intellectual power you needed to become an active participate in your treatment.  
Hope you have continued PFDN.
Your note serves as a invite to all on the MB to not be shy and ask their questions.
IP Logged

"If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".

Proud Dad of a US Marine, and a former Marine turned Police Officer.

catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 23rd, 2003, 5:43pm »

Welcome aboard mgreg

You're post is very good Smiley  Most of the posts are from people who suffer more than they want or should have to, but that's because this is our only support when the medical community fails us.  It's the support that we get from these posts, it's the bond of family that is stronger than any I've known, it's the life saving power of a few words on a message board.  For some people, like yourself, treatment is easy and quick.  For others, like myself, we have other health problems that prevent us from the 'normal' avenue of medications.

I hope that all of us someday will be able to get a treatment and prevention plan as quickly and effective and easily as you have done Smiley

Please don't mistake my words as criticism against you, I'm truly happy you found relief that quickly and easily.
Your post is great to point out to newbies that treatment CAN be easy and straightforward.  

Cat
IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
jonny

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 23rd, 2003, 5:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Well said, Cat and Echo!!!

.................jonny
IP Logged
KingOfPain
New Board Hall of Famer

Disgusted!

« Reply #4 on: Jan 23rd, 2003, 6:07pm »

I just wanted to add that oxygen is a great tool to be used for/by CH sufferers.

Great thread & great replies.

KingOfPain
IP Logged

Arrived August, 1999.

We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter.
- Denis Diderot
Real friendship is shown in times of trouble; prosperity is full of friends. - Euripides
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss