Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 3:33pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Woman Clusterhead needs help!! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2003 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Woman Clusterhead needs help!!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Woman Clusterhead needs help!!  (Read 895 times)
lbw
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

Woman Clusterhead needs help!!
« on: Dec 3rd, 2003, 9:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've been waking up at 5 am every morning for the past week with all the symptoms I've been reading about.
Are there any other women out there with this condition.

I am very new to all this..I have been a moograine sufferer for years...but this is something unbearable.

HELP!  I am afraid to go to sleep tonight.  Any advise?
IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

Re: Woman Clusterhead needs help!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 3rd, 2003, 9:45pm »

"are there any women out there with this condition?"

uh..........yeah hon.   (according to one person here who shall remain nameless)  women don't get these HA's....lmao

If you've been reading the links to the left of where you're reading this now, your questions should all be answered.  Take the cluster quiz.   I don't get moograines, but then I'm  weird.    

Welcome,   and please familiarize yourself with all the info available.  We are a family here, so it helps if you also read between the lines, take things with a grain of salt and grab an oar and start rowing....LindaH
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
ckelly181
New Board Old Timer
USA 

To err is human; To forgive, canine.

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 3rd, 2003, 9:52pm »

Yep - another dame here...welcome to our special hell...

Get some 02, curl up and read all about it.

Chris
IP Logged

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
lbw
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 3rd, 2003, 9:57pm »

I've been reading this site for a couple hours...and maybe it was impulsive of me to just jump in to the chat boards...but I am honestly scared to go to sleep tonight.
My husband doesn't know what to do with me when I wake up practically screaming from the pain I've been suffering.

Is it common to have dilated eyes all day??
What is O2?  I'm sorry...I've read everything..but I am trying to familiarize myself with all the acronyms.
IP Logged
ShariRae
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

83098455 83098455    
Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 3rd, 2003, 9:58pm »

another female hand up!  Read all you can here.. there is so much help & information...first & most important...GET THEE TO A DOCTOR & tell him/her whats going on..take a printout of symptoms as well as treatments from here if they arent familiar with ch...good luck & welcome aboard..
Shari
IP Logged

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 3rd, 2003, 9:59pm »

Welcome aboard and I hope you do not have clusters but if you do, there is more information here than anywhere.

Women do indeed get clusters. In fact many do. Even doctors seem to be behind the door when it comes to this diagnosis. In fact all the attacks I've seen have been with women.  

One key for me when one isn't sure if they have this horror or not is: Do they wake you out of a sound sleep? So far as I know, only cluster attacks do this.

Do some reading here and let us know what you find. If so, there are some very good ideas here.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
lbw
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 3rd, 2003, 10:15pm »

Thank you so much!!!
Those of you who answered.
Thanks for welcoming me.
I called my doctor as soon as I discovered this (very new to me) type of headache.  She told me that it is more prevalent in men.  This did not make me too happy.  I thought I was the lone woman in agony.  She told me to keep my Imitrex by the bed so when I wake up at (exactly..it seems) 5 am...I don't have to walk to the medicine cabinet.
Everything she mentioned was very discouraging.  I must say...I am going to do all I can to NOT fall asleep tonight.  I just want to die when (as it's called apparently) THE DEMON strikes at 5am.
When will this end????
If the water therapy works...then I will try that starting right now!.

Thanks all of you.
I will keep in touch!
IP Logged
FrankF
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Dec 3rd, 2003, 10:16pm »

on Dec 3rd, 2003, 9:57pm, lbw wrote:
I've been reading this site for a couple hours...and maybe it was impulsive of me to just jump in to the chat boards...but I am honestly scared to go to sleep tonight.
My husband doesn't know what to do with me when I wake up practically screaming from the pain I've been suffering.

Is it common to have dilated eyes all day??
What is O2?  I'm sorry...I've read everything..but I am trying to familiarize myself with all the acronyms.

O2 is compressed oxygen. In the US you usually need a prescription for it from your doctor for 6-10 litres per minute breathed through a "non rebreather" mask (mask type is very important) for 10 or so minutes per episode. For many people, O2 is very effective in aborting a CH attack... nearly as effective as Imitrex which is much more expensive.
IP Logged
ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

The BEAST rises again, and again, and again, and .

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 3rd, 2003, 10:18pm »

Darn I hate to do this, but WELCOME ABOARD!  I hate to do it because it means there is another one suffering this hell!  If you do have Cluster Headaches, this is the place to be.  You are most welcome aboard!

O2 is Oxygen.  It is one of the most successful and safest medication available for cluster headaches.

You need to go see a doctor, and get an MRI and CAT scan to rule out anything else.  There are deadly problems that can cause the same symptoms.  Get those ruled out!

Other than that, read, read, read ... The more you know, the better you are equipted to fight this demon!

How about telling us about your headaches?  Where, specifically,  is the pain? How long do they last? How fast do they start, or finish?  Any other symptoms noticed? With eyes, nose, ears, neck or anything?

Welcome aboard, and remember, as much as it hurts, cluster headaches do NOT kill!  You CAN make it thru this!

Chuck
IP Logged

"No man can be happy without a friend, nor be sure of his friend till he is unhappy."
Thomas Fuller
ckelly181
New Board Old Timer
USA 

To err is human; To forgive, canine.

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 3rd, 2003, 10:20pm »

lbw,

If you are suffering from clusters, oxygen (02) can be a very effective abortive (shortens the attack) for many folks. Some people have a hard time getting doctors to agree to write a script for it, but INSIST, or find a more knowledgable doc.  

Check out the other meds, but do consider giving oxygen a try. This is the first year I used it (clusters for 20+ years) and it was a total godsend.

http://www.headachesupportgroups.com/oxygen/oxygen.htm

Good luck,

Chris
IP Logged

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
lbw
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 3rd, 2003, 10:34pm »

Well..to answer the question about telling you about the headaches...The pain has been so unbearable that I didn't notice what side it was on..or if it was just in the center.  The pain starts (what seems to be) instantly.  My eyes feel very very puffy...and I just noticed this...my husband was trying to give me a massage to ease the pain...but it didn't work.  My neck and spinal cord felt very inflamed...I  didn't let him touch my neck or shoulders.

All I know is..it felt like someone put a balloon in my had..and started trying to inflate it..my head wanted to burst.  I kept waiting to just die...any second.  My heart was racing...I thought I was going to have a heart attack...Are these the right symptoms or do I have something else?

I had an MRI last year because of my migraines...but for some reason my migraines have subsided...These are so much worse...even though they last from 30 minutes to an hour.
IP Logged
Lori
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 3rd, 2003, 10:56pm »

I think you need to see a doctor. Anytime you experience a new headache as severe as you desribe, it should be checked out. You need to be sure it's not something else. You need to be on the safe side.  

Check out
http://www.clusterheadaches.org/medications.htm
and
http://www.headachesupportgroups.com/oxygen/oxygen.htm
Read and print.

Take to the doctor so if it's ruled clusters, you have info with you. Insist on a  MRI to r/o anything else.
Keep in touch and let us know how you make out.
IP Logged

Blessings and PFDAN,
Lori

Psalm 23:4 ~ Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 3rd, 2003, 11:15pm »

Hello lbw.......I'm a supporter here but would like to say hi anyhow.......and hope you can find out sumthin that works for you soon.....keep us posted here !!! Pam the hey sayer

PS: By supporter I mean that my husband has CH and has had them about 20 yrs....no fun......no fun a-tall  !!!!
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2003, 11:16pm by cootie » IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 4th, 2003, 1:50am »

Welcome to the board,

My visits from the beast were always around 230 or 3 in the a.m.  My hubby tried everything in his power to help, with not so good results.  During an attack, I am a "DO NOT TOUCH ME"....."DO NOT TALK TO ME" kinda gal.  While I was rockin back and forth, and holding my head, he was holding his head...in tears.  

Ice cold wash cloths on my eye and temple area and my neck seemed to ease the pain somewhat.  Some here use heat for their relief.  Just all depends on what works for you.

I, too, was afraid to go to sleep.  However, sleep deprivation seemed to make it worse for me.  I would stay up way past the normal time for the "visit".....but he just came later!!  I did start sleeping on the sofa.  I propped pillows up so I wouldn't be lying flat, and that helped me alot.  But I don't think not going to sleep is the answer.  CH takes a real toll on your body...and your family.  

Hope you get what ya need for the pain.

Keep posting....let us know how you are doing.

Jean

IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 4th, 2003, 4:38am »

I'm a woman and, as Linda said, some docs will tell you that "women don't get CH" - BUT we disproved that theory a long time ago.  

I'm chronic (daily visits from the demon) and get woke up in the middle of the night WAY too often. If they wake you up out of a sound sleep - it sounds like CH, but get a doctor to check you out and rule out other things.  

I also have migraines, but they hit during the day usually and are not really like CH. Guess my pain threshole has gone up to the point that the migraines are aggriavating, but I can live with them.  

Oxygen, ice packs, headbands, hot showers, and other home remedies HELP to a certain extent, but when you're in cycle it doesn't seem that much helps too much. You might try taking Dramamine before you go to bed. Some have had help with this. Water Water Water helps to hydrate you and this has helped a lot of folks.  

Read everything you can on this site (look to the left) and go see your doc and talk to her about them.  

Welcome to Clusterville. Sorry you're here, but this is the place with the information and support. We get a little rowdy at times, but are a good bunch of people most of the time. REad everything you can and ask questions. Someone is up 24/7 around here.  

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #15 on: Dec 4th, 2003, 5:18am »

lbw,
welcome aboard! Smiley
Having a headache is annoying, but having a cluster headache is hellish. As a woman having ch HAs, I do hope that what you're dealing with would be something else... But chances are that they are indeed CH headaches.

My advice to you is to learn as much as you can, from this site, other sites, books, journals, whatever you can get. And do share all the info with your husband! I have lived with this beast over a year, but still my close ones don't understand that my headaches just don't go away with some asperin... Angry

I wish you the best of luck! And stregth. After you get a proper dignosis from your doctor or neurologist, it can still take some time before you find the medication that works for you. But you'll find it, I'm sure of that.
Keep on writing us how you're coping!

Best wishes & PFdays,
sandie99
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

victoriafb
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 4th, 2003, 6:56am »

Hi,

I just came aboard yesterday to this site. I have been having CH for 9 years. I get them about every 3 years for a series. I am in a series now. It has been going on for two weeks.

Everything that I have read here on your replies are so true. You must make sure that you are dealing with CH and then find out what works for you.

Imitrex nasal spray works for me to cover the pain, however I am also on steroids for 6 days and then I am going to start Topomax, a siezure medication that my neurologist has recomended. I will start that on Sunday.
I haven't had it before, so I am really hoping that it will help. Icepacks on the temple help me also.

Good luck, it seems that we both have a lot of support.

Vicki
IP Logged

Vicki Carter
lbw
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #17 on: Dec 4th, 2003, 1:25pm »

I'm back...
I wanted to let you all know that your replies jelped SO MUCH!!!

Yes, I was afraid to go to sleep...but after reading all of your responses...and the website..
I started to drink water every half hour (about 6oz.)

I was so afraid to go to sleep that I woke up every hour and drank about 3 oz. of water.

I probably deprived myself of sleep...which I heard aggrevates THE DEMON more...but for some reason..last night I didn't get a CH.

I am really happy about this.
I am going to try the water therapy approach for a while and see what happens.

I had an MRI 6 mos. ago...but that was before I had these horrible episodes.  I will go and have this checked out.
But until then, I really want to thank all of you who responded!!!
IP Logged
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #18 on: Dec 4th, 2003, 1:35pm »

Another female here.  Mine started this year as well. Get to a doc ASAP and have the tests done to make sure that  there is not something else very wrong.  Try what works and let your doc know the whens and what when it hits. Wehn does it hit and what works. Also keep track of what you did on days that you did not get hit as that can mayb help you see a pattern of what you might be doing as a prevenative and can continue.  

PFDaN
Tiannia
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #19 on: Dec 4th, 2003, 1:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am female and there are quite a few of us here.  We know we are not suppose to have these demons; however, for some reason we do.  Get your tests done and let us know how it turns out.
IP Logged
Jayne
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Pull my finger!

Email

« Reply #20 on: Dec 4th, 2003, 2:05pm »

Yes another female here and I am chronic.  
Get your self to a doctor and don't let them tell you it's not possible for you to have them. Just make sure the doctor Understands clusterheadaches...so he can correctly diagnose you.
I hate to welcome you to the family
Jayne
IP Logged

If you haven't laughed today, it's been a wasted day. Smiley
aprilbee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ain't I a stinkah!!

« Reply #21 on: Dec 4th, 2003, 2:24pm »

Yet another female here, suffered for 17 years!  I need to reiterate what others have said and I hope you listen, get yourself checked out and try to keep a diary of the headaches, they can help you when you go to the doc..

Oh yeah! Welcome, this is a great place for understanding, friendship and caring!!
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #22 on: Dec 4th, 2003, 3:24pm »

Welcom aboard, sorry you had to find us.  If you are getting hit while asleep - try melatonin 45min before bed - see if it helps.  It's cheap and easy to get, and has helped quite a few people here.  Tell your husband that there is not much he can do while your getting hit, but being supportive and understanding means a lot. hug
IP Logged
amen
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #23 on: Dec 4th, 2003, 6:06pm »

And another and another and another laugh
yep i am a female too.  My doctor was lucky, I took him in a HA diary that I had been keeping.  He looked at it and said "well it looks like what you are experiencing are Cluster headaches, they are MORE COMMON in men, and I am sending you for an MRI to  rule anything else out.  You see I probably would have hit him if he said "women DON'T get them" Roll Eyes But that's just me.  MRI came out fine and he has been working with me and we have been trying different meds.  I don't think he is real familar with them but he is learning with me. Wink
IP Logged
jonny

Email

« Reply #24 on: Dec 4th, 2003, 7:55pm »

WOMEN DONT GET CH!!

I got your back, Boob Grin

.......................................jonny
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss