Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 7:54pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Saying Hello »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2003 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Saying Hello
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Saying Hello  (Read 336 times)
CJNine

Email

Saying Hello
« on: Dec 7th, 2003, 9:05am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Glad to find this message board.

I'm another CH type.  Started eight years ago after some major dental work.  Like many others who post, I basically had to self diagnose, then seek out the correct medical speciality.

Taking verap - 480mg - but neurologist changed from SR to non-SR saying the sustained release kind did not have any track record of helping CH.  Also use Imitrex pills to abort attacks (works only if I take at the first hint which in my case is a noticeable light pain at corner of eye coupled with stuffy nostril).  Tho't this was sinus problem for a long time and it took a while to convince me otherwise.

As I read all of the posts, all I can think of is "been there, done that."

Trying out O2 (abortive) and Topamax (preventative) for this cycle (my risk period is annual, Dec through Feb - pain free for the other nine months each year).

Question: anybody else monitored their blood pressure during an attack?  I found mine drops quite noticeably as the attack intensity increases.  A curiosity since the only explanation I've received is its a reaction to pain.

Anyway - glad to exchange info with the group.

Regards all,
CJ
IP Logged
jonny

Email

Re: Saying Hello
« Reply #1 on: Dec 7th, 2003, 10:33am »

Welcome aboard CJ

Pull up a seat and read your ass off, me?....I get to go move 20" of snow today but ill be back....LMAO Grin

.................................jonny
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 7th, 2003, 10:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Welcome aboard CJ!

You will find many here that do get results with the release versions of verap.  Some however only get results from the immediate release version.  If you need a little more freedom in your abortives, you may find that imitrex injections may work faster (about 10 minutes) and even when used further into an attack.  Hopefully you are using O2 correctly...check out the oxygen info link to the left.  I have no idea on the BP...I'm still trying to figure out why mine went up since being put on verapamil.  Anyway, read everything you can here and hopefully your entire cycle will be PF!

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
jadedgazer
New Board Veteran
USA 

This isn't life threatening, just life altering

jadedgazer  

« Reply #3 on: Dec 7th, 2003, 11:53am »

Welcome CJ.  

Sorry you had to find us, but you will find a ton of information here...peruse through the archives, you will find answers to many questions there. Ask here too. There are plenty here who know what they are talking about.

As far as BP goes with me, mine spikes when in the throes.  

IP Logged

Jackie S.
Kirk
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

161860987 161860987   kirk_jones511   krkevrtt
Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 7th, 2003, 1:25pm »

Welcome CJ. Pull up a stump.
Mine goes thru the roof when I have an attack. As they say YMMV.

TTFN
IP Logged

Little Deb
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Please SPAY and NEUTER all dogs, cats and idiots!

debbie4278  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 7th, 2003, 3:22pm »

Welcome to Clusterville!
I tried the Imitrex pills. Didn't work fast enough.  I also tried the Zomig pills.  Didn't work.  But the Zomig ZMT that disolves on your tongue at 5mg works good for me, and now it comes in a one dose nasal spray which is suppose to be even better.

LD
IP Logged

Adopt a shelter pet!
Rick_K
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Dec 7th, 2003, 3:29pm »

Welcome CJ, you will find a great family here.  I'm also a newbie to the site but not to CH.

Read, read and read, there is a wealth of knowledge here.

Rick
IP Logged

episodic since 1969........damn
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 7th, 2003, 6:42pm »

Welcome, CJ...I noticed the verap made my bp and pulse go down but during an attack, it goes up....pain usually makes your bp go up...and your pulse go up too...different strokes for different folks though..we are definetly not all alike when it comes to the beast...Good luck with the topamax..that is one of my meds too... Grinnancyc
IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 7th, 2003, 8:23pm »

Welcome and sorry you had reason to find us.  I have too little experience with the drugs but although I didn’t monitor my BP, I’m sure it skyrocketed.  

Stick around as you’ll find some good ideas about dealing with this horror. I hope you let us know how things are going.

Here is something that was very helpful to me:

http://www.netsync.net/users/charlies/

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #9 on: Dec 7th, 2003, 8:40pm »

Hey CJNine,

YES!  My BP BOTTOMS OUT during attack.  Weird.  Almost like my body goes into "flatline" during attack.  I've read so much about people's BP ramping up, but mine DROPS like Brick.  One time I had a bad attack, had to go to ER.  They could not administer any meds, said I'd pass out my blood pressure was too LOW. Huh

Welcome.  Lots of help here**

Well wishes, kim
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2003, 8:40pm by kim » IP Logged
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 8th, 2003, 12:18am »

Smiley
Welcome to the board, CJ

Have never monitored BP during an attack.  Don't have enough hands...LOL   Takes one hand to hold the ice pak on my eye and temple area, and the other hand to hold the ice pak on my neck.

However, I was at the dr's office a few hours after a bad hit, and my BP was higher than usual.  Not sure if it was from the ha itself, or the anticipation of another.

Guess it's like the meds........everyone seems to react differently to these damn ha's.  Some things work for alot of folks, and none of those work for others.

Sending you pf vibes from Texas.......

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's always darkest before the dawn.

tara_ann_77  
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 8th, 2003, 2:02am »

Welcome to the boat CJ.  Seems that my BP rises when I have  CH, was told it's most ppls reaction to severe pain...
IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/taraann77
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #12 on: Dec 8th, 2003, 5:35am »

Welcome aboard, CJ! Smiley

Too bad you had to join us, if you know what I mean. CH is not a nice thing to have... but ch.com is a wonderful place to be! I'm glad that you found your way to this site.

I have never checked my BP during CH, but it would not come as a surprise to me, if it indeed is low during attack - my BP tends to be quite low yet normal (considering that my family has a history of high BP) all the time.

Best wishes & PFdays,
sandie99
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

thomas

Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 8th, 2003, 10:47am »

Welcome aboard.  I have never monitored my bp during an attack.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss