Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 8th, 2024, 6:15am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Non CH help, Stroke Insight »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2003 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Non CH help, Stroke Insight
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Non CH help, Stroke Insight  (Read 304 times)
pubgirl

Email

Non CH help, Stroke Insight
« on: Dec 9th, 2003, 4:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Has anyone here any insight or knowledge they can give me?

A very close friend aged 57 has suffered a very severe stroke. She has just regained her speech but I visited her yesterday and she is speaking fluently but with a very strong German accent.
Before the stroke she was incapable of mimicry, she knows no Germans, nor has any German connections whatever.

Any ideas?

Wendy

P.S, I promise this is not a joke!
IP Logged
floridian

Email

Re: Non CH help, Stroke Insight
« Reply #1 on: Dec 9th, 2003, 4:44pm »

That's for real - I printed an article a few weeks ago for my daughter, who wants to study psychology and languages.  I think its the foreign accent syndrome, or some such.  I'll look for the link.
IP Logged
floridian

Email

One Link Here
« Reply #2 on: Dec 9th, 2003, 4:45pm »

http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/po/021003.shtml

Quote:  
The first case of Foreign Accent Syndrome was reported in 1941 from Norway, where a young Norwegian woman suffered shrapnel injuries to the brain during an air raid. Initially she had severe language problems from which she eventually recovered but she was left with what sounded like a strong German accent, and was ostracized by her community.
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2003, 4:46pm by floridian » IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 9th, 2003, 4:45pm »

I forget what it is called but this is not uncommon in stroke victims - wishing your friend a speedy recovery. Smiley
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 9th, 2003, 4:50pm »

Thanks Thomas and Floridian!

I have read the link and it makes loads of sense, she still has some paralysis of her throat (she can't drink liquids) but her speech flows. German is a very guttural language so maybe it is because that way of speaking is all her muscles can do.

It was completely freaky to listen to though as I have known her for years!

Wendy
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss