Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 11:52am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Imitrex-Tablet, Nasal Spray or Injections question »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2003 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Imitrex-Tablet, Nasal Spray or Injections question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Imitrex-Tablet, Nasal Spray or Injections question  (Read 537 times)
Kevin_

Email

Imitrex-Tablet, Nasal Spray or Injections question
« on: Dec 14th, 2003, 11:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have been getting the crap beat out of me all weekend with multiple 4-7 Kip scalers.  I usually get 1 per day about 1-2 hours after sleep.  Last night I had 3 (2 am, 6 am & 8 am), and am now coming off of another (8 pm), it is still shadowing after 1 injection and 30 minutes of 15L O2.  What is you all's best recommendation for which type of Imitrex is best.  The reason I ask is because I "borrowed" a couple of pills from a co-worker (I was desparate, I was at work and the beast made a visit to my noggin)  The pills stopped it both times and left me with peace and quiet for exactly 12 hours (both times).  Twice today the beast would not leave so I tried the injections.  They don't seem to have the same effect for me as either the pills or the nasal spray.  Is this normal?  What is the best method?  I was thinking the injections would be the most effective due to the dosage and ability to quickly enter the blood stream.  Thank you all for your insight.  Your expertice and insight is appreciated more than I can ever convey to you.  Kevin
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

Re: Imitrex-Tablet, Nasal Spray or Injections ques
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14th, 2003, 11:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

If Imitrix is going to work for you they should all be the same just different speeds of kicking in and making the headache go away.  They all last the same time length.  At least that is what I have always found and was told.  The shot is the fastest acting.  The nasal spray is just a couple of min. behind the shot.  The pills can take 30-60 min. to kick in.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Mac
New Board Old Timer
Canada 

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 14th, 2003, 11:35pm »

Kevin, I've only used the 'trex nasal spray.It's worked for me so far.
IP Logged

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office". - Aesop
portfolio http://www.artwanted.com/McDonall
http://www.clusterheadaches.ca
Little Deb
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Please SPAY and NEUTER all dogs, cats and idiots!

debbie4278  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 14th, 2003, 11:40pm »

I used the shot once and  it didn't work for me.  I think I should have injected it in my arm instead of my fat leg.

Used the pills once too.  Worked ok if I got it right away, but slow.

I use the Zomig ZMT that disolves under the tongue.  I like it.

Good luck.
IP Logged

Adopt a shelter pet!
Orneryolefart
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Dec 14th, 2003, 11:50pm »

At best, treatment of CH's is an inexact science. Whatever works for you, use the hell out of it.
   Orneryolefart .....  a clusterhead for 45 years
IP Logged

The Orneryolefart in Texas
forgetfulnot

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 12:01am »

Quote:
I think I should have injected it in my arm instead of my fat leg.  

Deb, please don't talk about clit rings and fat legs the same day, blew my fantasy away.

I have been using injection's since they came out, busted my cluster every time except for a couple. Sometimes they would come back in 4-6 hours. The pill forms would appear to last longer as they are absorbed slower, much higher in strength and therefore be in your system longer. I get dizzy reading all that half life doctor stuff. If the injections don't hold the beast off try some maxalt of other triptan pill a couple of hours after the injection. Easy for me to say, hard to get a doctor to go along, that's what got me through the worst time of my life, without both, see ya later..........

Lee  
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2003, 12:05am by forgetful » IP Logged
BlueMeanie

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 2:28am »

Kevin,

Have you read the Imitrex tip to the left ? Not sure if your using a whole injection at a time. I find that in most cases I can use 1/2 and get the same results.

Have you tried Amerge yet ? It works for me most of the time as good as the Imitrex.

As orneryolfart said: It an inexact science. Every Clusterhead has different methods & aborts that works.  

It seems the Beast will arrive and not leave no matter what you do sometimes.

I use Imitrex to chase off the Beast for awhile then switch to Amerge to battle for awhile. For me, it lessons the chance of how often the meds don't work.  

Vibes for PFDAN
IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #7 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 8:06am »

tried all 3 quite a few times. only the injection is fail safe for me. The pill takes for ever to work and I often puke it up while waiting for it afte an hour with no relief. The nasal spray is a total waste fro me. Inj takes less than 10 mins to be PF - so nice   Kiss

John
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 8:37am »

Like always, it's a personal thing. Nasal works very well for me

Wendy
IP Logged
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 8:48am »

Hi Kevin sorry you are still suffering... At the convention we were told the injections bring the fastest relief, but don't last as long in your body.  The nasal spray takes a little longer lasts a little longer.  The pills take the longest and last the longest in your body... Have you tried zomig yet... or Amerge???? Zomig works great and I think lasts in your body.  They don't have an injectable zomig but they did just come out with a nasal spray... I take zomig and MY migraines are sometimes 9-10 hours
zomig works best for me.  Dave has used them for his clusters and says less side effects...(tightening in the throat and joints)  Good luck Buddy... this too will pass.  Just believe it will end and it will... love to you ree
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
OneEyeBlind
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Yea, I can do this

topnoodle

« Reply #10 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 10:19am »

I tried the nasal spray, and while it worked, the taste kind of choked me.  So I moved on to the injections and they were heaven !  Worked faster and no after taste !  You need to make sure you hold down the button on the injector pen so that all the medication is released.  Perhaps this was your problem ?
IP Logged

One cannot step twice in the same river, for fresh waters are forever flowing around us.
ZAIRA
New Board Hall of Famer
Italy 

Brave to Stand !!!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 4:50pm »

I'm sorry  Cry  if you are in a bad time but happy if you found us, this place is the best thing about CH, all the support, knowledge, love and much more around here! Welcome home, Kevin!

I have taken Imitrex Tablet, Nasal Spray, Injections (and suppository also Grin, there are in Italy).. the best are the shots!

Peace to you, Zaira

IP Logged

Love yourself, Love others, Love often, Forever!
Patrick_A
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If i could get my hands on that wascally Wabbit

Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 16th, 2003, 12:51am »

on Dec 14th, 2003, 11:06pm, Kevin_ wrote:
I have been getting the crap beat out of me all weekend with multiple 4-7 Kip scalers.  I usually get 1 per day about 1-2 hours after sleep.  Last night I had 3 (2 am, 6 am & 8 am), and am now coming off of another (8 pm), it is still shadowing after 1 injection and 30 minutes of 15L O2.  Kevin

IMITREX CAUSES REBOUNDS!!

Patrick

IP Logged

Do you think that when they asked George Washington for his ID, that he just whipped out a One Dollar Bill?
BstnEagles
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #13 on: Dec 16th, 2003, 5:51pm »

Hey,

I regualry use the Nasal Spray. It works great for me but the taste is kind of gross.  Just drink lots of water until the taste goes away.  I have no expereince with the tabs and the injections are a little to scary for me since i HATE needles.  I have also tried Zomig Nasal Spray which is a new med on the market.  It works simarlily and has less of a nasty taste.  I think that the triptans are all preety much the same.  They have been making me feel kind of weird lately though. I think it could be the SSRI I am taking.
IP Logged
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 16th, 2003, 6:34pm »

Ed........ be sure you are taking that SSRI everyday... they are so hard to go off of... I can always tell when I don't take mine because my head feels like its spinning.  Pretty weird feeling......... kinda like Im walking sideways lol......(like a crab) Im sure I will pay for that statement............. Hows your head??? ree
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
jonny

Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 16th, 2003, 7:03pm »

on Dec 15th, 2003, 12:01am, forgetfulnot wrote:
please don't talk about clit rings

Where the fuck was I that I missed this?

All I have tried is the Trex shots and they are by far the fastest thing that ever worked for me be it kip 5 or kip 10.............but I cant use them no more and it has nothing to do with my heart......REBOUNDS!!!!!

..................................jonny
IP Logged
Smartin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 16th, 2003, 7:30pm »

I am new to this site and am still in wonder at how much I have suffered for nearly 25 years with CH and have never been brave enough to pursue this with my doc.  I never understood the "episodes."   When I would complain to the doc about my temporary bouts with excruciating pain in my face, he would ask silly questions about how long the pain lasted and if I was still suffering and did I want some sort of pain killer.  When I'd describe the pain in more detail, he would say that he hadn't heard about a headache like that before and that it was probably a sinus problem that would resolve itself.

I have been going through an episode for nearly 6 weeks now and have 2 or 3    6 - 8Kip hds a day.  the most severe always wake me up at 12 or 1 am.  I keep thinking that the episode is nearing an end, but then I never really know.  They just seem to stop abruptly.  I was in remission for nearly three years...since I moved to Phoenix...I actually thought that the dry air out here had cured me.  Then the devil decided to rear his ugly head in October.

This may not be the forum for me to tell all of you how happy I am to know exactly whats wrong with me...I scored 100% on the survey...I've made an appointment with my doc and have printed all of the info to take with me.  Although I have a 3 or 4 kip right now...I am a very happy person indeed.

Good night all and have a happy holiday season.

--Steve
IP Logged

Great is the thing that makes a child dream
Mastifflvr28
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Freddie's eyes

LVT27
WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Dec 17th, 2003, 12:29am »

ANOTHER STEVE!!!!  Get in line Steve Smiley
Glad you found the board, and welcome to our family.
Take care, read EVERYTHING!!!!
Mast
IP Logged

Mastifflvr28 (aka Michelle A.)
Be part of the solution
http://www.ouch-us.org
OXYGEN!!!
http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss