Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 1:11am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Botox »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2003 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Botox
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Botox  (Read 604 times)
TerryS
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

Botox
« on: Dec 16th, 2003, 5:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This Friday I start Botox injuction. Has anyone had a chance to try them? From what I know they only work for a while.

God bless,
TerryS
IP Logged

> It is only a tiny rosebud,
> A flower of God's design;
> But I cannot unfold the petals
> With these clumsy hands of mine.
> The secret of unfolding flowers
> Is not known to such as I.
Brian_Y

Email

Re: Botox
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16th, 2003, 7:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am seeing my neuro next Tuesday for discussions on this topic.  I am, quite frankly, incredulous.

We shall see.  Let me know how it fares....
IP Logged
Virginia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

v49acosta  

« Reply #2 on: Dec 16th, 2003, 7:27pm »

Tried it and it gave me a headache for about 7 days (a different kind from my clusters).  Didn't help my clusters either, but did make me look 10 years younger (no joke)!
IP Logged

The Clusterhead formerly known as 9erfan.
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 16th, 2003, 7:39pm »

I do botox for my migraines but it does nothing for my clusters.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
don

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 16th, 2003, 10:18pm »

You will still have CH but with nice luscious lips.
IP Logged
Jayne
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Pull my finger!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 16th, 2003, 10:38pm »

I did two rounds of botox injections earlier this year on the left side of my head, forehead, scalp. a total cost of $1632..... result.....looking less pissed off on my left side.
IP Logged

If you haven't laughed today, it's been a wasted day. Smiley
don

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 16th, 2003, 10:52pm »

Quote:
looking less pissed off on my left side.

ROFLMMFAO

But making up for it on the right?
IP Logged
forgetfulnot

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 16th, 2003, 11:35pm »

This potent neurotoxin is produced by Clostridium botulinum, a bacterium that causes food poisoning (botulism). There are seven known types of C. botulinum toxin, but only types A (Botox®) and B (Myobloc®) are used as medical treatments.  

Botulinum toxin has proven to be useful in the treatment of many forms of dystonia, including the following:  

blepharospasm—forceful involuntary closure of the eyelids  
strabismus—misalignment of the eyes  
hemifacial spasm—sudden contraction of the muscles on one side of the face  
spasmodic torticollis, or cervical dystonia—muscle spasm in the neck that causes the head to turn to one side, and sometimes forward or backward  
oromandibular dystonia—continuous spasms of the face, jaw, neck, tongue, larynx, and in severe cases, the respiratory system  
urinary retention—severe inability to urinate that requires catheterization  
spasmodic dysphonia—spasm of the vocal cords that causes sudden disruption of speech  
stuttering—repetitions of parts of words and whole words, long pauses, elongated sounds  
voice tremor—quavering vocalization  
Neurons generate new nerve endings that reactivate the dystonia, so improvement is not long lasting, and treatment is usually repeated every 3 to 4 months. Physical or occupational therapy usually is undertaken to stretch and restore normal muscle function. Some patients develop antibodies to the toxin over time, rendering the treatment ineffective.  

Side Effects  

This is a safe and effective treatment when given in very small amounts by a qualified neurologist. Some patients experience temporary weakness in the group of muscles being treated. For example, ptosis (drooping eyelid) can develop after treating blepharospasm. Flu-like symptoms develop in some, but rarely.  

I like my poision better Wink

Lee.............
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2003, 11:36pm by forgetful » IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 16th, 2003, 11:43pm »

Quote:
Botulinum toxin has proven to be useful in the treatment of many forms of dystonia, including the following:

Don't see CH in that list. HMMMMMM?

Quote:
From what I know they only work for a while.  

Not true. A good Doc will get many many payments on the Mercedes out of you and a Mercedes can last for many years.
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2003, 11:45pm by don » IP Logged
hdbngr
New Board Old Timer

Email

covered.Re: Botox
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17th, 2003, 10:41am »

You can get these done through a local plastic surgeon, too. Believe it or not, they are usually LESS expensive than the neuro.

The serum is covered as a medication by some health plans (about $350), as long as you have a letter from your primary Doctor. The injections cost about $150 - and this portion was out of pocket. Had several in the forehead, back of the head, and the neck. If it works, they have to be redone every three months.

It helped with neck pain, and gave me a nice, smooth forehead, but didn't impact the clusters. No side effects though, felt about like a bee sting. Worth the try, and the reduced lines were nice...
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2003, 10:48am by hdbngr » IP Logged

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Tgorder
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Dec 17th, 2003, 4:10pm »

Save your money.  The Dr told me it would not likely work because clusters are so different than migraines.  Botox does not deaden the nerves that cause the pain they deaden the muscles that tense up.  CH are not muscle related.

Since I had tried everything else and was desperate I had them done anyway.  Now I think of all the imitrex I could have bought with my $500.

Save your money.  Don't do it.
IP Logged
Renee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

May we all find some pf time!  Is it summer yet?

Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 17th, 2003, 5:25pm »

ditto on all the above.  botox is good on migraines but not CH.

try a nerve block if you are looking for some type of injection in the area of pain.  that helped me for almost 3 months.  my injection was given in the notch of the supra-orbital nerve in occipital bone, just above eyeball toward the center.  very painful shot with no lidocaine and my eye swelled shut at first and then my forehead had no sense of my feeling it for several weeks but the piercing knife just above my eyeball went away for 3 months.
IP Logged

23 years of battling the beast, 9 years chronic......uneducated docs/nurses make me irate.
The fungus among us is for real!

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss