Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 10:12pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Court Ruling on Medical Marijuana »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2003 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Court Ruling on Medical Marijuana
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Court Ruling on Medical Marijuana  (Read 430 times)
floridian

Email

Court Ruling on Medical Marijuana
« on: Dec 17th, 2003, 1:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

While marijuana has no accepted use for cluster headaches (and may actually make them worse), I was glad to see this decision, which could ultimately help clusterheads in the US

Quote:
Court boosts medical pot
STAFF and wire report

SAN FRANCISCO — A federal appeals court ruled Tuesday that a congressional act outlawing marijuana may not apply to sick people with a doctor’s recommendation in states that have approved medical marijuana laws.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled 2-1 that prosecuting these medical marijuana users under a 1970 federal law is unconstitutional if the marijuana isn’t sold, transported across state lines or used for non-medicinal purposes.

"The intrastate, noncommercial cultivation, possession and use of marijuana for personal medical purposes on the advice of a physician is, in fact, different in kind from drug trafficking," Judge Harry Pregerson wrote for the majority.

The court added that "this limited use is clearly distinct from the broader illicit drug market, as well as any broader commercial market for medical marijuana, insofar as the medical marijuana at issue in this case is not intended for, nor does it enter, the stream of commerce."

Full story at: http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/archive/2003/December/17/local/stories/ 01local.htm
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2003, 1:22pm by floridian » IP Logged
athos
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Reality is for those who lack imagination!

athos_3d   Athos3d
WWW Email

Re: Court Ruling on Medical Marijuana
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17th, 2003, 1:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Yes, it will help get rid of the Stigma that surrounds "abused" drugs that may have benefits in other situations..  IE shrooms...  I have still yet to try them...  still too nervous.

--athos
IP Logged

http://www.XdUP.com
Find Your Value For X
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 17th, 2003, 3:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

This could be a beginning.  Of course right now we are all just wishing marijuana could help us.
IP Logged
Hirvimaki
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Quod me nutrit me destruit.

3978676 3978676   frotteur   hirvimaki
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17th, 2003, 3:37pm »

I have never used recreational drugs (and have no desire to do so), and have not tried the "magical cure" for CH.  But I do think this is an important issue that gets muddled and twisted.

Many people confuse morality and law.  A lot of people think that whatever is immoral should also be illegal.  True, the law is, at its heart, founded on morality, but its purpose is not enforce morality.  In fact, it is impossible to enforce morality as morality must be chosen by the reason of the each individual.

What does this have to do with the legalization of Mary Jane?  Although drug abuse is an immoral abdication of reason and profoundly self-destructive, there is nothing about it that demands the initiation of force against others.  Drugs are traded by violent criminals today because the drug trade is illegal, not because it inherently attracts criminals.  The mafia was the primary peddler of alcohol during Prohibition, but it does not do so now that alcohol is legal again.

Let's open up those closed avenues of research and possibility.  Maybe somewhere in there, buried deep, there is cure to be found for CH.

Hirvimaki
IP Logged

"What makes us discontented with our condition is the absurdly exaggerated idea we have of the happiness of others."

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 17th, 2003, 4:54pm »

Good news. It would be nice to leave us alone now and not waste billions pursuing people to the grave. Let the morality police spend energy and money helping others.  

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 17th, 2003, 6:46pm »

Quote:
In fact, it is impossible to enforce morality as morality must be chosen by the reason of the each individual.

YES!

You sound like a good Libertarian.  (Sorry, didn't mean to make this thread political, LOL).

--- Steve, the cranky Libertarian

IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
Hirvimaki
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Quod me nutrit me destruit.

3978676 3978676   frotteur   hirvimaki
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 18th, 2003, 9:27am »

Just Libertarian tendencies. I abhor labels.

Hirvimaki

PS: A "cranky Libertarian"?  With the world as it is, is there any other kind of Libertarian??
IP Logged

"What makes us discontented with our condition is the absurdly exaggerated idea we have of the happiness of others."

jminmilwaukee
New Board Old Timer

« Reply #7 on: Dec 18th, 2003, 9:34am »

Of course another factor that comes into play is profitability. There are more drugs than not that are legal and much worse for you than Mary Jane.  

Now, if only the pharmacuticle lobby folks would spend enough money on campaigns to boost thier profits through legalization, we would have an effective treatment for glocoma and chemo patients.

When is the last time you heard of alcohol at a good alternative medical treatment (or cigs for that matter).

Just my 2c

Non political Jmin here Smiley
IP Logged
Boots
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 18th, 2003, 12:10pm »

I can drink untill I don't know my own name and not worry but if i get busted with MJ in my system,I will lose my job....why ?
...Bill
IP Logged

Don't feed me sorrow,pain is the poison i digest
Big Dan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

SMASH BRAIN!

Danboyceccg   DanielNBoyce
Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 18th, 2003, 12:14pm »

on Dec 18th, 2003, 12:10pm, Boots wrote:
I can drink untill I don't know my own name and not worry but if i get busted with MJ in my system,I will lose my job....why ?
...Bill

Sounds like an SAT trick question....

A) Insurance Companies

B) Lawyers

C) All of the above

-Big Dan
IP Logged

Not going anywhere for a while?...

... Grab a Snickers, Fatass.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss