Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 12:04am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Why are we so cynical and pessimistic? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2003 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Why are we so cynical and pessimistic?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Why are we so cynical and pessimistic?  (Read 1507 times)
Patrick_A
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If i could get my hands on that wascally Wabbit

Email

Why are we so cynical and pessimistic?
« on: Dec 17th, 2003, 11:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Everytime someone new comes on the board and mentions a product or an amazing cure that has helped them, Why are we so quick to blast them?
I know some people have tried to sell quick fixes, and to them, I have nothing to say! But not everyone is trying to sell us something. Some people actually care. I think we should give people a chance to speak their piece, and if it sounds like bullshit, or if they are trying to sell us some garbage, Then we unload on them!

Just my 2 cents, Patrick
IP Logged

Do you think that when they asked George Washington for his ID, that he just whipped out a One Dollar Bill?
BlueMeanie

Email

Re: Why are we so cynical and pessimistic?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17th, 2003, 11:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

You are right. For me, I think it is just because of the fact I've tried everything out there. (approved medical) and nothing works. I guess I have it in the head that nothing is ever gonna work.
IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 17th, 2003, 11:37pm »

If you are referring to "snake-oil salesmen"  beware started by Ree then I can only tell you one thing.

It's because we have seen this over and over and over again and we(all of us combined) know when we're being scammed.

If however you are NOT talking about that post, then I ask you to explain and I will be more than happy to apologize to you.  

in a really bad mood here.  Luinda
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Patrick_A
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17th, 2003, 11:45pm »

on Dec 17th, 2003, 11:37pm, Linda_Howell wrote:
If you are referring to "snake-oil salesmen"  beware started by Ree then I can only tell you one thing.

It's because we have seen this over and over and over again and we(all of us combined) know when we're being scammed.

If however you are NOT talking about that post, then I ask you to explain and I will be more than happy to apologize to you.  

in a really bad mood here.  Luinda

You dont have any reason to have to apologize to me. I stated this as in "We". Just like BlueMeanie said, I also am a sceptical bastard. It took me 28 years to find something that worked for me.
But at the same time, I also realize not everyone in this world is out to Fuck me. I'll give anybody the benefit of the doubt until they start asking me for money!
And yes, I was referring to my lovely Ree's post. She knows i wouldnt flame her!

Patrick  Smiley
IP Logged

Do you think that when they asked George Washington for his ID, that he just whipped out a One Dollar Bill?
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 17th, 2003, 11:53pm »

so if you're referring to Ree's post....What is the questiuon all about?  I trust Ree, and obviously you do also.

?

Linda
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 18th, 2003, 12:13am »

Human behavior clash with technology.  No doubt there are some salespeople who come here.  There are probably also some unsuspecting people with decent intentions.  This is the reason why there are instructions on the website before posting.  Some people are just oblivious to netiquette, I know I was at first.  Because there are salespeople and because there are people unfamiliar with netiquette, how can we tell them apart?  I got no answers.  One thing for sure, there is no known cure for CH.  Many of us are tired and cynical because most people can't possibly understand this situation we find ourselves in.  Can I really take 2 aspirin and lay down?  Human behavior clash with technology.

--- Steve
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 18th, 2003, 12:18am »

words of wisdom Steve.

and this coming from a bug-man too.  lmao

LindaH
IP Logged

Patrick_A
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 18th, 2003, 12:19am »

on Dec 18th, 2003, 12:13am, eyes_afire wrote:
Human behavior clash with technology.  No doubt there are some salespeople who come here.  There are probably also some unsuspecting people with decent intentions.  This is the reason why there are instructions on the website before posting.  Some people are just oblivious to netiquette, I know I was at first.  Because there are salespeople and because there are people unfamiliar with netiquette, how can we tell them apart?  I got no answers.  One thing for sure, there is no known cure for CH.  Many of us are tired and cynical because most people can't possibly understand this situation we find ourselves in.  Can I really take 2 aspirin and lay down?  Human behavior clash with technology.

--- Steve

I agree with you, But sooner or later someone is going to come up with the absolute cure. Surely we arent going to cuss them out and send them packing because we are so cynical.
I definitly believe in keeping my eyes and ears open at all times, I never know what I might learn.
It was just a thought that i wanted to share with ya.

Patrick
IP Logged

pubgirl

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 18th, 2003, 2:20am »

I looked at the website for the product this person is associated with first before I made my comments

Compound this with WHERE the item was posted i.e. a mother in agony for her child, not on the medications or general board

Compound this with WHAT was said, that the person does not have CH but "this product works for anyone"
Sorry haven't worked out how to do the quotation thingy so it is pasted below:

"Your son is in my prayers.  First, let me say, pleeeeease take this seriously.  2ndly would like to give you a little information on a product called Reliv.  It's a nutritional product that has changed my life...actually, it has given me back my life.  I did not suffer with CH, but did suffer with Chronic Fatigue issues and fibroid tumors (to name just a couple).  I have been able to help so many children with all kinds of issues, get well.  It's been extremely rewarding...but it's not me...it's this product and company that manufacture amazing, simple products that work for everyone.  Please, if you would like to know more about this, email me and I would be happy to be in contact with you.  
Bless you and your son! "

THEN I got angry.

I don't see this as cynical and pessimistic, just protective because there ARE people here who are desperate and in terrible pain and/or naive and could spend money they can't afford on a dubious nutritional supplement that will do no good for CH.
Offering prayers for a child is wonderful, adding in a product plug is NOT.

Just my twocents
Wendy
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2003, 2:48am by pubgirl » IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 18th, 2003, 2:51am »

Also, just to give you some idea how much this person understands about CH, here is what they messaged to me:

"I can't believe you would react this way.  I'm not "peddling" anything.  You all would be so willing to pump yourself with meds, but not something healthy?  and for your information, I WAS the person in pain a while ago.  So keep your crap to yourself"

Wendy
IP Logged
Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 18th, 2003, 3:24am »

AH yes...a jaded bunch we are...and in pain TOO! No wonder we are a little pessimistic....I am. Been dicked around for so long not much impresses me anymore. The last thing to make a difference in my life was found on this MB....and it really worked, at least for the last five weeks! HU-RAH!!.

From the Reliv homepage....

P&P to be exact...
"I will make no diagnostic or prescriptive claims for any Relěv products. Nor will I represent my
personal experiences with Relěv products as indicative of the experience that others may expect."

and then...

Product Claims:
You acknowledge that Relěv products are not represented as drugs and that you are not
authorized to make any diagnosis of any medical condition, make drug-type claims for, or
prescribe Relěv products to treat or cure any disease or condition. Distributors may not use
words such as: cures, heals, therapy, therapeutic, promotes healing, or any other medical claims
for specific ailments. Distributors are prohibited from saying or implying that Relěv products
are FDA-approved. When selling products, you also acknowledge that you are not authorized
to use, quote from or summarize (in any written or graphic form) any materials or to make any
product claim or representation not authorized in writing by Relěv. Distributors may make
claims about the Company’s products that have been approved by the Company and provided
in sales and training materials.

on Dec 17th, 2003, 2:31pm, Relivforlife wrote:
 2ndly would like to give you a little information on a product called Reliv.  It's a nutritional product that has changed my life...actually, it has given me back my life.  I did not suffer with CH, but did suffer with Chronic Fatigue issues and fibroid tumors (to name just a couple).  I have been able to help so many children with all kinds of issues, get well.

They have a message board too but one must be a Reliv distributor to access it...I wonder why?

Creeps me out.....seems kinda low to me.

Thanks Ueli,

IP Logged

Click The Flag
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 18th, 2003, 4:35am »

Cranks waste time, and money that a clusterhead needs for something that has some provable track record or from someone with at least a toehold in reality. This is why we can be so cynical. We've seen a lot of nonsense, especially on the old board.  

If I may be forgiven: My technique has a couple things going for it. It costs nothing and I make no claims that it will work for everyone.  It also does no harm and it won't get in the way of medications and other ideas.  I do believe that more of us need to work on it a bit more. Probably the best is that Ueli hasn't told me to go to hell.......well at least for this thing anyway Cheesy

Sorry. I get carried away.

Cynical old bastard--Charlie
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2003, 4:39am by Charlie » IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 18th, 2003, 5:02am »

Gosh, we've had people here looking for drugs and some trying to sell drugs and we pretty well know who to cull. We hurt and there will be those who will try to take advantage of us, but I think we all have enough sense to know a scam when we see one.

Sometimes something works for someone and they think it will work for EVERYONE. Those of us who've been around for a while, know this isn't the case, but we need to be careful NOT to discourage the "real" ones who are trying to help. The snake oil salesmen should be strung up at dawn.

I take a bunch of vitamins (supplements) every day just to keep up my energy, but it's NOT a cure for CH - it just helps me get through the day, so maybe the vitamins would help in this sense.  

Guess what I'm trying to say is that we need to take a deep breath before we slash someone - make sure they're not just being enthusiastic.  

But I wouldn't recommend the banana peels around the head - didn't work at all for me.  

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

pubgirl

Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 18th, 2003, 5:07am »

Don

Just thought you ought to know you are getting slammed by Relivforlife on the Technical board

Wendy
IP Logged
Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 18th, 2003, 5:19am »

on Dec 17th, 2003, 10:57pm, Relivforlife wrote:
Hi DJ,
I am new to this board and was sharing some things that have helped me by way of a nutritional product that is doing great things for people.  I have rec'd a horrible email from a Donald Young who has a dirt mouth.  Here's his email  bgull2@earthlink.net.  I don't think you would allow this.  If you want a copy of the email sent to me, I will gladly send it to you.
I might not have had cluster headaches, but I was in just as much pain as the others, just different issues.  I was just trying to help, but I guess I was wrong.
Sorry

DJ.....hurry....Don is.....cussing at a snake oil salesman!

Too Good

eek

ROTFLMYBO!!
IP Logged

Click The Flag
KenB
New Board Veteran
Ireland 

Sometimes it feels like this

Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 18th, 2003, 5:24am »

I'm cynical but also highly optimistic (almost to a fault!).  Is that an oxymoron?  Huh
IP Logged

Who was the first person to realise you could get milk from a cow - and what did he think he was doing at the time?
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 18th, 2003, 5:58am »

Patrick

I think the cynicism was well applied in this case.
This below was in the guest book and now apparently "Toni" reckons Reliv is great for cancer as well as CH.!!!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------  
Came across this website by accident today...although I don't believe in accidents. I wanted to share something with you'all. The company is called Reliv and the products have changed my life! I am now a distributor for these amazing products because of the life changing results I have had...and have been able to share with others. I suffered with Fibroid Tumors, Chronic Fatigue, blood sugar issues, very very low blood pressure (all of my life), heel spurs, digestion issues, acid reflux, just to name a few. (phew) Within 6 months on these products I had my life back and now 3 years laters I feel awesome. Better than when I was younger. I know many, many people who have been helped with headache issues. Migraines, cluster headaches, menopause issues as well as major disease such as Scleroderma (runs in my family), cancer, lupus, MS, Parkinson's etc. I have met them and spoken with them at conferences, phone calls, and a few I have helped personally with Reliv. It has been amazing! A simple miracle!! These products are in powder form that you put in liquid and drink 2x per day. It works because of the absorption rate (98.9%). Vitamin/mineral pills are 15%, if you're lucky. If you want to know more about it...I would love to share them with you. This is now my life's mission, besides family and my faith. Everyone have a blessed holiday.  
Toni <lifemaderich@comcast.net>  
Doylestown, PA USA  
Wednesday, December 17, 2003 at 13:47:20 (EST)  

« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2003, 6:08am by pubgirl » IP Logged
stevegeebe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #17 on: Dec 18th, 2003, 6:41am »

It's got nothing to do with what thay are pitching.

Clusterheads simlpy can't stand plaid.

Steve G
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #18 on: Dec 18th, 2003, 7:12am »

Errrr, what? Huh
IP Logged
Elaine

Email

« Reply #19 on: Dec 18th, 2003, 8:48am »

I think you have a good point Patrick. If I came on board right now I would be yelling chronics try chemo it worked for me. If you guys did not know me you would all swear I was out of my mind. Thats the only thing I can think of that has caused me to become eposidic! I even asked the doctor in N.Y. he said becuase of the steroids it is possiable.

You never know and I would hate to think we ran someone off with the answer.
IP Logged
TomM
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #20 on: Dec 18th, 2003, 9:15am »

on Dec 18th, 2003, 12:19am, Patrick_A wrote:

I agree with you, But sooner or later someone is going to come up with the absolute cure. Surely we arent going to cuss them out and send them packing because we are so cynical.
I definitly believe in keeping my eyes and ears open at all times, I never know what I might learn.
It was just a thought that i wanted to share with ya.

Patrick

Some of us are cynical but I prefer to call myself a realist [or is it fatalistic?]. There is no CURE. How many times have we had to explain that to someone? Cheese and Rice! [say cheese and rice out loud to understand what I am saying]
EVERY time I hit my cycle my dad, God luv him, tells me to go to the doc. WTF, over?  
"You're like a neutered dog Bundy, you just don't get it!"
The tone of the message from the snake oil salesman is always the same: "It will CURE your ills and other ills too!" A little common sense goes a long way. If it's too good to be true, then it's not true.
TomM
IP Logged

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
--Thoreau--
don

Email

« Reply #21 on: Dec 18th, 2003, 9:16am »

Quote:
who has a dirt mouth.

My day is ruined. Probably be so disconcerted I'll wash my whites with my colors.

Elaine:
Quote:
If you guys did not know me you would all swear I was out of my mind.

And if you do know her then you are convinced.
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2003, 9:21am by don » IP Logged
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #22 on: Dec 18th, 2003, 9:18am »

I am extremely cynical because most everything I have tried doesn't work.  I think we just hit the point where we lose a bit of hope.  I have tried every supplement I can think of, vitamins, painkillers, and I just get so tired of people hyping snake oil that I could scream.  It is sad to be that way though.
IP Logged
TomM
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #23 on: Dec 18th, 2003, 9:29am »

I look @ CHs as a part of my life. Some people have allergies, others have arthritus etc. Me, I'm a cluster head with arthritus...and a few other things, too!  Wink
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2003, 9:29am by TomM » IP Logged

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
--Thoreau--
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #24 on: Dec 18th, 2003, 9:31am »

on Dec 18th, 2003, 9:29am, TomM wrote:
I look @ CHs as a part of my life. Some people have allergies, others have arthritus etc. Me, I'm a cluster head with arthritus...and a few other things, too!  Wink

I'm a clusterhead with migraines! I was also told that I can be a smart ass and that I am sarcastic.  Hmmmm, I would never be those things.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss