Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 6:10am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Why!!!!?? Always in middle of deep sleep??? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2003 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Why!!!!?? Always in middle of deep sleep???
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Why!!!!?? Always in middle of deep sleep???  (Read 1012 times)
shaktima
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Why!!!!?? Always in middle of deep sleep???
« on: Dec 27th, 2003, 9:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello fellow CH sufferers?
My question is WHY do these demon clusters have to happen in the middle of a SOUND, DEEP sleep, when all of a sudden, I feel that funny feeling above my upper teeth, in my temporal artery and I say to myself, "No, No, Go AWAY!!!!" (not wanting to get out of my warm, peaceful bed, but knowing that if I do not, and dont get my medication, I am going to be in for a night of wall-banging, suicidal pain!!!!  Why do they come every night at exactly 3:12 am???  I literally pound on my head with my fist, using an ice pack, taking my Imitrex or whatever I have handy, but I know if I wait too long, even Imitrex, Zomig or anything else, will take at least 2 hours to work and then I am pacing the floors!!!  This disease truly has to be the devil, I can think of no pain I have ever had that equals this!  I went over 4 months with no CH's at all, and then all of a sudden, with the holidays, 3:12 am, the devil again comes to visit.  How can I convince my family and friends that this is NOT a typical headache, it is more pain than any human being should EVEr have to have.  I have often thought of trying to kill myself during one of these attacks, just to get some relief!!!!!  I am not on any other medications, as it seems that even when I tried to take Sam-E, a herbal antidepressant, it made them come on even more! !  Is this a curse or what????
Cathy
PS:  First got first cluster over 7 years ago, and in beginning, I got 3 a week.  Now I thought they went away, but they are coming back!  I AM SO SCARED!@!!!!!
IP Logged
forgetfulnot

Email

Re: Why!!!!?? Always in middle of deep sleep???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27th, 2003, 9:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
Imitrex, Zomig or anything else, will take at least 2 hours to work

The two best abortives that we know of are O2 and Imitrex injections. Some claim abortive success with magic mushrooms as well.

Have you tried any of these?

Punch the buttons on the left, there is many years of information at your fingertips.  Cool

Lee
IP Logged
Brian_Y

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 27th, 2003, 9:50pm »

CHs and circadian rhythms are friends.

CHs and REM sleep are mortal and dire enemies...I am discovering this out right now.  You can set your goddamn watch by mine and almost exclusively when I go to sleep.  Fun!!!!
IP Logged
shaktima
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Dec 27th, 2003, 9:57pm »

I guess that is right!!!! I need to get a new brain, I guess!!!!!  My dad gets migraines, but I do not think they are ANYTHING compared to clusters!!!!  Why is the pain so bad??????? I mean, when I am in the middle of one of these, I really just want to die, it is so bad.  I dont remember pain this bad even with childbirth!!!! DO THEY EVER GO AWAY?  Or am I cursed with it til I die??  I am getting really depressed here!  Cry
IP Logged
BlueMeanie

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 27th, 2003, 11:12pm »

SHAKTIMA,

Welcome to clusterville.

Even tough your pain is VERY bad right now. Believe it that there will be some PF times coming your way soon. The Beast seams to get rialed up sometimes and just won't leave you alone for days. It will slack off eventually. If your Episodic, it may leave for a couple of years. You never really know with the Beast.

Imitrex injections is the FASTED way to abort. Unfortunately, the prevents are different for everyone. It takes lots of trial and error to find what will work for you.

REM sleep is your most vulnerable time. I believe your mind is occupied with thoughts during the REM stage and therefore you don't know the Beast is planning it's nightly visit. Happens to most ALL clusterheads. Sleep meds work good for some people.
IP Logged
Unsolved
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I'm still alive ?

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 27th, 2003, 11:32pm »

Ahhh...one of the few people who really does sound like they have what I have [ "wall banging, suicidal pain" ] That about sums it up.

Sleep...I remember sleep...a long, long time ago I used to sleep. Now I only get it while admitted in the hospital getting DHE or SoluMedrol.

I know your frustration all too well.  

Unsolved
IP Logged

I need a fully automatic Imitrex injector
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 27th, 2003, 11:41pm »

Hi Shaktima,
Welcome to the board.

First off, realize that you are not alone in this.  
Second, you have to accept the fact that the beast is running this show.  It's extremely hard to fool him.
My hits came within 30 min to 1 hour after I went to sleep.  Even when I stayed up past the time I usually got hit, he came later on.

I am also episodic, and a Prednisone taper ended my cycle.  Today is 109 days pf.  However, the Prednisone doesn't work the same for everyone.  For some, when they finish the taper, the beast returns.  So far, so good for me though.

The Prednisone is cheap compared to the other meds.  You might consider asking your doc about giving it a try.

So sorry you are having a rough time.  We've all been there, and some have always been there.  Alot of chronics here on this board.  They can give you some really good advice and alot of remedies they have tried.

Keep us posted and let us know how you are getting along.

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 1:09am »

You nailed it. We all seem to have or have had the deep sleep thing. My guess is that when we sleep some process in our poorly engineered bodies starts or stops. Perhaps something is released or just catches up with us. Anything to catch us off guard.  

Here are a couple links for you. The first is to a letter by our very good friend Simon who has done a great job explaining that CH has nothing at all to do with what people.....including relatives, think of as "headache." No relationship whatsoever. Here it is and he suggests copying it.

[url]"http://www.ouch-uk.org/ch/note_colleagues.cfm" [/url]

The following is to a technique that was very helpful to me:

http://www.netsync.net/users/charlies/

Hope this helps and let us know how you're doing.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Mac
New Board Old Timer
Canada 

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 3:49am »

Hmmmmmm... Wakes up like clockwork with a suicidal headache. Sounds like one of ours. Welcome to our exclusive club shaktima. I'm one of those "kroniks"you have heard about. My alarm goes off exactly 1 hour after my head hits the pillow.The problem with this particular alarm clock? No snooze button. In fact you can't even turn the fucking thing off. So you learn to deal with it. The alternative is unacceptable. You have come to the right place shaktima. At the very least everybody here  knows what your going through. There is a lot of good advice and info to be found here as well. Just talking about it can be a comfort. You're not alone.

Glen
« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2003, 3:51am by Mac » IP Logged

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office". - Aesop
portfolio http://www.artwanted.com/McDonall
http://www.clusterheadaches.ca
stevegeebe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 6:46am »

Welcome Cathy.

Like Lee said, see about getting some o2.  It has helped many here.  You have made it through before and you will get through again.  

You are going to find it hard to make others understand the depth of this pain.  Only another Clusterhead can know what it's like.

Read the info posted, find a good Neuro and hang around.  You're home now.

A chronic will have to answer your question in regard to it being a curse...I'm episodic...thank God.

Steve G
IP Logged
Woobie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I luv you guys!!!!!!!!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 7:12am »

Hello Shaktima..   Grin

Just wanted to say Hello- and welcome!   I have nothing more to add to what everyone already said......... just HI from ME.

Vibes,
tina   Kiss
IP Logged
Woobie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I luv you guys!!!!!!!!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 7:13am »

on Dec 27th, 2003, 11:32pm, Unsolved wrote:
Ahhh...one of the few people who really does sound like they have what I have [ "wall banging, suicidal pain" ] That about sums it up.

Sleep...I remember sleep...a long, long time ago I used to sleep. Now I only get it while admitted in the hospital getting DHE or SoluMedrol.

I know your frustration all too well.  

Unsolved

HEY UE - check your email again!!

IP Logged
Patrick_A
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If i could get my hands on that wascally Wabbit

Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 10:18am »

Its the nature of the Beast!

I used to wake up everynight at approximately 2:30 with a headbanger. I thought about setting my alarm clock for 2:15, so i could get up, get a glass of water and see if i could go back to sleep, hopefully to break the Beasts routine. But i figured it would just hit me at 5:00 or so.
Prednisone and Verapamil broke my cycle, and i have been pain free since the middle of August!

Patrick Smiley
IP Logged

Do you think that when they asked George Washington for his ID, that he just whipped out a One Dollar Bill?
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #13 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 1:35pm »

on Dec 28th, 2003, 1:09am, Charlie wrote:
You nailed it. We all seem to have or have had the deep sleep thing. My guess is that when we sleep some process in our poorly engineered bodies starts or stops. Perhaps something is released or just catches up with us. Anything to catch us off guard.  
Charlie

Yep, something does start or stops. Serotonin. Copy/pasted rom the OUCH site:  
Spontaneous and 5HT-induced cyclic contractions in superficial temporal arteries from chronic and episodic cluster headache patients.
Mathiau P, Brochet B, Boulan P, Henry P, Aubineau P
CNRS UA 1489, Laboratoire de Physiopathologie et Pharmacologie Vasculaire, Bordeaux, France.
Superficial temporal arteries (STAs) are abnormally dilated in the painful side during cluster headache (CH) attacks. We have assessed the possible dysfunction of these arteries by comparing in vitro the reactivity of STAs removed from the painful side of CH patients during a cluster of attacks with that of STAs from patients free of CH. The responses to KCl and norepinephrine (NE) of both types of arteries were similar. Serotonin (5HT) induced a classical dose-dependent constriction in arteries from non-CH patients, but systematically triggered rhythmic contractions in arteries from episodic CH patients. Arteries from chronic CH patients also showed spontaneous rhythmic contractions. In both cases, this activity was stopped by calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) but, even in the presence of CGRP, it could be restored by low concentrations of 5HT. Thus, 5HT, unlike NA, can trigger rythmic activity in STAs of CH patients and may play a major role in CH through abnormal smooth muscle cell reactivity.

For more click this
http://www.clusterheadaches.org/library/serotonin/index.htm

Bob P once explained the Serotonin/melatonin connection but I can't find it. Hey Bob can you explain it again? Please.
« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2003, 1:36pm by BobG » IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #14 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 3:05pm »

Forgot something in my last post.

Shaktima says
“This disease truly has to be the devil, I can think of no pain I have ever had that equals this!”

That’s because there is NO pain that equals a cluster headache. It is at the top of the list for painfulness. It’s the most magnificent, exquisite, malicious, excruciating pain of all. The best-of-the-best. Number one. The top dog.  

Congratulations, you’re in a very exclusive club.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 3:10pm »

on Dec 28th, 2003, 3:05pm, BobG wrote:
Congratulations, you?re in a very exclusive club.

Aren't I the lucky one...   Grin
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Mac
New Board Old Timer
Canada 

WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 3:12pm »

Quote:
How can I convince my family and friends that this is NOT a typical headache, it is more pain than any human being should EVEr have to have.

Cathy, just get your family and friends to look at this thread.Or print it off. I'll tell them.  
To the family of Cathy. Your loved one is suffering from a condition called cluster headaches. It is possibly the most painful thing a person can go through. People who suffer from both migraines and clusters say they would rather have a bad migraine over one cluster. Men have claimed it is easier being kicked in the groin than go through a 2 hour cluster attack.Women would sooner give birth. Having a limb amputated is preferable. Before they were called clusters (lame name) they were called SUICIDE HEADACHES.That in itself should tell you that this is no ordinary headache. There is no cure as of yet. In fact they don't even know what causes them.This is very real and you should thank your lucky stars that you don't get them.
Sincerely, Glen(chronic)

Quote:
A chronic will have to answer your question in regard to it being a curse...I'm episodic...thank God.  

Steve G

I don't know if it's a curse to be chronic or not Steve. I read a lot of posts from episodics that are just starting thier cycles after being PF for months or years and they are truly panicked and upset. I've learned what to expect on any given day(only one minor attack over Christmas!) so I'm always prepared. I guess once I started on Imitrex Nasal and got a bit of control over the beast it made it easier to deal with. Gotta stay strong. Life goes on. Right Cathy?  
      Smiley glen
IP Logged

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office". - Aesop
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 3:26pm »

Shaktima,  

Check your instant messages.  It's in the top right-hand corner of where you're reading this now. It will say..

Hey, Shaktima, you have 1 message"  and then the date.

Linda Howell
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
jonny

Email

« Reply #18 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 4:21pm »

on Dec 28th, 2003, 3:12pm, Mac wrote:
Men have claimed it is easier being kicked in the groin than go through a 2 hour cluster attack. 

Dude, I aint one of them, CH aint gonna damage me like that would....put me down for the 2 hour deal.

.......................................jonny
IP Logged
Mac
New Board Old Timer
Canada 

WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 6:29pm »

Quote:
Dude, I aint one of them, CH aint gonna damage me like that would....put me down for the 2 hour deal.  

.......................................jonny

I didn't say I would prefer a boot to the nuts. Just that I read on this site about a guy who had recieved such treatment and prefered it over having a cluster. It wouldn't be a boot up here anyways, more like a frozen muk luk  Grin
« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2003, 6:33pm by Mac » IP Logged

don

Email

« Reply #20 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 6:40pm »

Quote:
Men have claimed it is easier being kicked in the groin than go through a 2 hour cluster attack.

Did those guys say that before or after the lobotomy.
IP Logged
Mac
New Board Old Timer
Canada 

WWW Email

« Reply #21 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 9:01pm »

So it appears that clusters aren't the worst pain a person can go through...I'll have to change my list.
1. cluster headaches Getting kicked in the nuts
2.clusters
3.amputation of limb
4.giving birth
5.running out of beer
 Wink
IP Logged

Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #22 on: Dec 28th, 2003, 9:15pm »

hiya Smiley

ok i can't comment on the getting kicked in the nuts thing LOL  

accidental amputation: i put a saw through my finger when i was 13 in industrial arts class...a week before my piano recital!  ok yeah...i would agree the part where i was in shock staring at the saw in my finger and thinking, "damn..this can't be good!" definately didn't hurt as bad as these headaches!  however...once i finally came to and realized what was going on...omg!  however...clusters you have over and over and over again...so yea...it's definately a different kind of pain!  i wouldn't want to put the saw through my finger day after day after day...hour after hour after hour!

also...there're other pains worse than childbirth...but not in the head region...i've never actually compared how they feel to the feeling of waking up repeatedly throughout the night and wanting to smash my head through the wall because it is in my stomach and not my head...but it hurts damn bad that much i can say!!! (fortunately, i am currently in remission for the stomach issue) Smiley

Lizzie Smiley
IP Logged

Unsolved
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I'm still alive ?

WWW Email

« Reply #23 on: Dec 29th, 2003, 9:29am »

on Dec 28th, 2003, 6:29pm, Mac wrote:

Just that I read on this site about a guy who had recieved such treatment and prefered it over having a cluster.

You mean to tell me that someone went in for treatment of Clusters and got a swift kick in the nads ? OMG .. I think I would have fired that doc (right after I kicked his ass nuts!)

Unsolved
IP Logged

I need a fully automatic Imitrex injector
CJohnson
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Cannot kill the family, Battery is found in me

Email

« Reply #24 on: Dec 29th, 2003, 10:00am »

An important aspect of cluster headaches is to understand that the attacks are "triggered", meaning something has to happen for the headache to occur. But, that something will only trigger an attack during the active cycle. In episodic sufferers, the table is set, so to speak, for however long your cycle lasts. In chronics, the table is always set.
 While these conditions exist (whatever they may be) you will get a headache whenever certain criteria are met.
 While you are sleeping, your brain is doing a bunch of different jobs. The way your brain does these jobs is by producing different amounts of chemicals at different times according to a schedule, and distributing them to wherever they are supposed to go. At some point during these jobs, the perfect combination of chemicals are in the right place at the right time. When this happens, your trigeminal nerve is stimulated in such a way as to trigger the headache.
 That is basically why you get a headache while in the middle of a deep sleep. That is not to say that only one kind of stimulus can trigger an attack, or that everyone will have attacks triggered in their sleep. Or even that the same stimulus triggers an attack for every clusterhead. There is probably more than one road that leads to CH.

PFDANs
-Curtis
IP Logged

Through water and fire. From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought the Beast. Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss