Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 11:49pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Jobs? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Jobs?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Jobs?  (Read 668 times)
flavin
New Board Newbie
USA 

Give me Power to overcome

toddfranklin2001  

Jobs?
« on: Feb 20th, 2004, 10:17am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

How has having these headaches affected your job?

My last job I had Called out about 18 times in one year.

Has anyone lost thier job b/c of this?
IP Logged
1MajorPain
New Board Junior
USA 

Pain is not my friend!

Re: Jobs?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20th, 2004, 11:31am »

Flavin...sorry to hear about your pain. I think you'll find many here have lost jobs, girlfriends, wives, homes and more because of this beast. Read all you can on this site and listen to the people here...there the best! All I can add is hang tuff and play the hand your dealt.

Major
IP Logged
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 20th, 2004, 2:45pm »

I've had the "well when you are here and focused you are great" speech more times then I care to think about.  So yes it has effected my job.  I cant really call in that much, so I have to work as well as I can with a HA.  Good thing I am in an office my myself. I am sure that I scare people if they saw me all the time.  Althrough it is still funny when I climb under my desk to try and get some rest during lunch and people come in to find me. Usually scares the hell out of them as they dont expect a 33 yr old woman crawling around on the floor.  

Tia
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
justasound
New Board Junior
USA 

justasound76   dreamradial
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 20th, 2004, 3:06pm »

I'm fortunate enough to be self employed..  I really hate it for you guys who have to deal with this nightmare on someone elses terms..

IP Logged

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 20th, 2004, 5:31pm »

I was constantly in pain every day since I am chronic.  Everyday I would have a headache and everyday my boss would say if you have a ha you should go home.  I said if I go home for a headache I will never be here.  She just didn't understand.  I missed alot of work and time away from my desk due to ch.  I would blow up at my coworkers because I was under so much tension and pain.  I just couldn't focus or concentrate or get anything done.  I finally went on disability 4 years ago.  It has been a blessing to me not to have to work.    
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 20th, 2004, 6:45pm »

on Feb 20th, 2004, 3:06pm, justasound wrote:
I'm fortunate enough to be self employed..  I really hate it for you guys who have to deal with this nightmare on someone elses terms..

I'm in the military, and my supervisor through commander are all very compassionate with this.  I bust my ass when I am not "hiding" in stall #2!   Grin
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #6 on: Feb 20th, 2004, 11:31pm »

Get diagnosed properly, get the right preventives in your system and carry abortive ammo, everyday.  
Survival is the name of this game, surviving takes a job and, with CH, insurance.  I would do nothing to put those in jeapordy.   Without the proper meds, yes, you can lose your job.  Don't let CH win THAT battle.

Kevin M
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

If you lose your job....
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21st, 2004, 8:46am »

*****  AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT. An outline of your rights to refuse to give information about health issues during a job interview. See in archives, 8/5/01, message, "ADA:job interviews and chronic illness. Your rights...."

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Retta34
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

jld93tom
Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 22nd, 2004, 8:03pm »

I've wondered the same about my job also since being a newly diagnosed CH sufferer.   Since I've had migraines in the past and have called in for those, when I started getting CHs last week --i just called in and told my boss I was having another migraine. But now, I'm wondering how much time am I going to be using. I certainly can't afford to call in everyday.    The two days that I was at work, I know my coworkers must have thought I'd lost my mind.    When I wasn't tapping my fingers all around my eye, I was walking around with a wet paper towel against my eye.     And of course that led to my makeup being wiped off and looking like I'd been crying (a few times I was) and lots of stares.   I've told a few a my coworkers what my diagnosis was, they are familiar with the term because we do work in the medical field.   But they have never known anyone to be a sufferer.   So how am I supposed to make these people understand.     What about my boss?
IP Logged
jzakhar
New Board Newbie
USA 

And now for something completely different

85202944 85202944    
Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 22nd, 2004, 8:12pm »

Retta this might help: http://www.clusterheadaches.org/resources/employer_form.doc
IP Logged
Retta34
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

jld93tom
Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 22nd, 2004, 8:42pm »

Thanks, I've printed it.   Any feedback on employees who have given this to their boss?
IP Logged
Janice

Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 22nd, 2004, 9:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

One thing I did when I noticed my boss getting a little upset with me when I could not work was to print out all I could find on CH and give it to him to read.  That on top of the fact he witnessed an attack a few days later proved to him that I was not faking it.
IP Logged
denisebyrd
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #12 on: Feb 27th, 2004, 6:24pm »

Hi, I am so glad to have someone address this issue. I always wondered how other people work like this It is nearly impossible. I teach 7th grade and when I need to run out to the bathroom and sit in the dark for a while with my imitrex, I have to get someone to cover. I have tried to explain and they look at me like I have two heads. I have had alot of headaches at school this year and also lost some time. I am so frustrated that I don't know how to keep going. I am just living for the summer break DEnise
IP Logged
renny
New Board Junior
USA 

rennny07   renny
Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 27th, 2004, 10:40pm »

Hi Retta..I did indeed print  that link...maybe 10 times...and gave it to co.workers as well as my sups  (I have multitude of bosses, they just can't figure out who's really in charge...lol)...anyway  I anxiously awaited results...EVERY SINGLE one of them came to me with appreciation, understanding and perhaps horror at this issue...no understatement, I was shocked by the reception...for your and my eyes, it is easy read because we know all about it...for outsiders I guess it is shocking eye-opener...at least that's how it went down with me.     I bet it'll go similiar with you.   BTW I've recieved more help and support from this brd than I ever imagined possible.   Just so you know......Karen
IP Logged

tell me...did the wind sweep you off a' your feet...
FZfan
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Not Insane

Email

« Reply #14 on: Feb 28th, 2004, 12:34am »

I don't know how it would be possible to work a job while these things are attacking. I have been very fortunate in that I'm episodic, and I always get them between 8:30p and 6a. My remission periods are long, 6-18 months. Even though I don't get them at work, though, it's very hard to go to work the next day after getting them at nite. I usually use at least half of my vacation days each year because of this. Again, I am fortunate in that I can take a vacation day at the drop of a hat because I did talk to my boss about it. After reading the information I gave her, she didn't require a note from my Dr. and has been understanding.

I'm sure that is not the case with most jobs. I really feel for all you folks who catch shit at work because of this horrible affliction.
IP Logged

There is no such thing as a dirty word. Nor is there a word so powerful, that it's going to send the listener to the lake of fire upon hearing it. - FZ
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #15 on: Feb 28th, 2004, 12:57am »

Here's some links that may fit in this string.

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10029.html#Part%202
SS disability benefits site.

http://clusterheadaches.com./wwwboard/messages/80406.html  
Carl D (2-2-01, advice on disability benefits

http://www.migraines.org/disability/disabcdl.htm
Trip 6-30-01 document on current disability laws  

http://www.chhelp.org/index.html
Links to information to get help  

http://66.154.42.184/wwwboard/messages2/109659.html
Bob Johnson 9-4-01 ADA: job interviews and chronic illness. Your rights....

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/wwwboard/messages2/102349.html
discussion string about disability and using a lawyer July 24, 2001
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #16 on: Feb 28th, 2004, 11:26pm »

Ill have say myself I have worked through them. But not without abortives and a plan, timing .  I give my employer the form and received no further say one way or the other.  My personal opinion is GOD first, the beast comes and you have to deal with it and ifany employer gives me any crap concerning the demon, then they wouldnt have to get rid of me,I dont want to work for them!!!!! Work hard when you can and that helps when you cant.   At least that way I have control.
thebbz     John and Joan Bebee    Keep fighting
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #17 on: Mar 1st, 2004, 3:08pm »

Thebbz, I agree with you.  I work and bust my butt when I am not getting hit so it I need to take a longer lunch because my head is not cooperating then I do it.  They have the hours that they get from me when I am not getting hit and that makes up for the time that I lose.  They also know that I have come in due to deadlines when I really should have been home.  So my see it.  I have been upfront with them about it because mine started since I have come to this job.  So they have been addressed of everything since the git go. There is also a letter if someone can post the link that you can give to your co-workers that helps them to understand this as well. So that they aren't so freaked out by the physical changes that happen while you are being hit.  

Tiannia
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
amen
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #18 on: Mar 1st, 2004, 6:02pm »

Quote:
I know my coworkers must have thought I'd lost my mind.    When I wasn't tapping my fingers all around my eye, I was walking around with a wet paper towel against my eye.     And of course that led to my makeup being wiped off and looking like I'd been crying (a few times I was) and lots of stares.

laughI know it's not really funny but I had to laugh, because I have done the exact same thing.  And looking back on it, (when I am not in pain)  I musta looked like a crazy person.   Shocked
Just thought I would lighten the topic up a bit.
Andrea Cool
IP Logged
Belle
New Board Veteran
Canada 

Kiss Me You Fool!

Email

« Reply #19 on: Mar 2nd, 2004, 7:51pm »

I lost my last job because of these darn things.  Was off for a month and a half and they wouldn't take me back.  My job before that I had for almost 10 years and they were like a family to me and I could come and go as I pleased.  I left them to take care of my kids for a few years and have wormed my way back in to working Sat's only (in a cycle now)to make some cash.  Don't think I'll ever find a place like that again seemings I'm moving and all.  It never ends does it?

Belle
 Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Take the time to stop and smell the roses!
Wifeofchman
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #20 on: Mar 2nd, 2004, 10:48pm »

I work in surgery, doing surgery; so the attacks can be devastating. I hate it when I have to talk to patients or families, even with a shadow but lot's of lithium and verapamil seem to help. We all feel your pain in many ways. The Man.
IP Logged

TTYL,
Carrie
Wife of CH Sufferer
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss