Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 2:21pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Travel? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Travel?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Travel?  (Read 754 times)
justasound
New Board Junior
USA 

justasound76   dreamradial
WWW Email

Travel?
« on: Feb 20th, 2004, 3:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey guys,  

I just bought a car on ebay, and hitched a ride with my friend who is a truckdriver to go get it.  The 2nd day on the road and  the shadows started..  I took 7mg of melatonin and went to sleep. Lastnight I woke up with about a kip7, took 2 sudafed, no help...  Been feeling something coming on since about noon...  

I wonder if:

Travel itself has anything to do with it

Maybe the constant vibration from the old International?

Cycles usually start in March so maybe it is just a coincidence.

Let me know what you think.

Lee
IP Logged

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

Re: Travel?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20th, 2004, 3:49pm »

Probably a few weeks early. Other hand, staying up late and sleeping odd hours may help advance an attack period.
IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 21st, 2004, 8:49am »

"Old International" ?? Leaking exhaust fumes, maybe.

When I'm in or near a cycle, fumes from Scotch, cleaning products, etc. will sometimes trigger a full blown attack.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
don

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 22nd, 2004, 11:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
Travel itself has anything to do with it

One of the absolute triggers I can put my finger on. Driver, passenger, dont matter.  

Long drive= Attack.

Thats how my CH manifested 28 years ago. Travelling from Maine to Massachusetts. Always got these obnoxious headaches.
IP Logged
Samantha_Smith
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 23rd, 2004, 11:14am »

I used to love the Mr. Old International's but then I was introduced to Mr. Mitsubishi Fuso. I felt torn between to lovers.
IP Logged

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm."
Dave in Merced, Ca.

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:41am »

For me, its not so much the traveling as it is a change in altitude. As little as a 1500 ft pass (going from California's central valley to the bay area) will trigger a CH within 3-4 hours. Going to 6000ft (in the Sierra's) OMG. The last time I did that, I had no O2 with me. Had to stop by the Truckee river and emerse my head in the ice cold river water until the demon passed. Sudafed helps, but I find Tylenol allergy sinus better and you can get a generic of it from Costco with 96 tabs for $4.00. I learned my lesson though. O2 .... don't leave home without it!!! Wink
IP Logged
Belle
New Board Veteran
Canada 

Kiss Me You Fool!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 3rd, 2004, 4:14pm »

Yep, my first episode started when we drove from here (Ontario) to Florida.  But I too think that it is the change of air pressure or something.  They were gone when we came back from our 2 week vacation.

Belle
 Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Take the time to stop and smell the roses!
Dave in Merced, Ca.

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 6th, 2004, 11:56am »

Cry I flew up to Seattle on Thursday. I popped 2 Tylenol Allergy Sinus about an hour before the fight. A CH hit as we passed through 10,000 ft. I had tears rolling down my cheeks and my hands were shaking as I fumbled with my Migranal ampule. It was another 10 minutes of agony before I slowly felt the sharpest waves of pain start to flatten out. The flight lasted another hour before we decended below 10,000 ft. As quickly as the pain came, it was gone.
I had a minor (2-3 KIP) CH later that day and was not looking forward to the flight home. Boarded the flight Friday afternoon expecting the worse, but hit the Migranal just after takeoff and beat the Devil to the punch. Got ahead of it and stayed there.
BTW: Does anyone know if the Flight Attendants will break out their O2 for someone with a CH, or is that not life threatening enough? Maybe I could have faked a heart attack  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2004, 11:57am by daven » IP Logged
renny
New Board Junior
USA 

rennny07   renny
Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 7th, 2004, 1:03am »

hi   don't have answer re flt attendants but will be able to get it for you, I work for airline...my best guess here is this:  so few people know about ch's, it is uncommon knowledge and while FA's are trained in basic (limited) medical, I highly doubt they have specific training re clusters...am unsure of rules re usage of O2  for general public problems....but as stated will find out for you tomorrow.    These days, they probably can't even give ouy aspirin, which, if you have a headache, is all you really need...lol   Anyway.  Back w/ answer after work tomorrow        Karen
IP Logged

tell me...did the wind sweep you off a' your feet...
Dave in Merced, Ca.

Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 7th, 2004, 8:06pm »

Thx Renny .... I would really appreciate the answer.  Smiley
I am sure others here would as well. I suspect that they only allow the use in 'emergencies'. I am also sure they have that spelled out in their manuals somewhere.  
You are also correct about the uninformed people. Even the Medical Supply folks I get my O2 from are learning from me. I had to instruct their RT on what a non-rebreather was and how I used my O2 and at what rate.
I am so grateful for this web site!!! It has given me the information I need to get at least some relief from this condition.
IP Logged
renny
New Board Junior
USA 

rennny07   renny
Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 8th, 2004, 12:37am »

Hi Dave, you brought up interesting question and I DO have positive answer...first let me tell you how it went!!  Started w/ my immediate supervisor, who now knows all about this...crap.....thanx to past month being in cycle for first time in 3 yrs of working there...He sent me to our In-Flight office, where I had the distinct pleasure of informing 2 more people in the world  about these monsters...God the look of sheer terror on their faces was priceless.  Anyway after this initial 45 min conversation they went straight for manuals and rules and regulations.   After ascertaining just exactly where this infornation was going they copied pages out of manual  and sent us all a prayer...so it's all good!

So here is how it goes:

Oxygen Administration Procedures (Theraeutic)

Oxygen should not be administered to passengers during surface movement   (takeoff or landing)

Two exceptions are:

if passenger has a written medical authorization
    if a passenger becomes seriously ill

and

Authorized criteria for therapeutic oxygen administration are:

irrationality
  note from doctor
  unconscious, but breathing
  severe chest pain
  difficulty in breathing

.....there is more detail but this is gist of it . Captain must be informed of O2 use.   Flight attendants are continually retrained and tested on this, In-Flight people tell me they know this like the back of their hand...all of 'em, any airline.   Conclusion...keep a dr's note with you at all times when traveling...appparently they are ready and willing to assist...hell, in my mind, it's in best interest of all passengers on aircraft to put a stop to an attack!!!   lol   the part that got me was "irrationality"  geez you wanna see IRRATIONALITY, I got it coming for you!!!

Hope this helps.   Myself, I was surprised by such welcome reception to this subject from people who had no prior knowledge...educating the public  is of sooo much importance here, as you already had suggested earlier.

Any further questions re airline...will be happy to find answer for anyone...I don't know a whole lot ...lol...but I do have resourses out there!

Wishing you the best    Karen

IP Logged

tell me...did the wind sweep you off a' your feet...
Dave in Merced, Ca.

Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 15th, 2004, 2:27pm »

Grin Excellent work, Karen !!!  This is great. I will definitly carry a note from my doc from now on when I fly.
lol ...I love the irrational part .... how about suicidal!! Is that irrational enough for them!
Now if they would stock larger tanks. Those puny things they carry would last about 10 minutes. But, probably long enough for some relief.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Your effort and education is much appreciated.
IP Logged
1MajorPain
New Board Junior
USA 

Pain is not my friend!

« Reply #12 on: Mar 15th, 2004, 3:38pm »

I called and inquired about oxygen from Delta before flying out to the west coast, they charged me $50 extra each way to be sure they would have a tank sufficate to handle my needs....this was if I need it or not....other USA airlines might have different policies. Singapore Air had tanks and there was no extra charge.

Major
IP Logged
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

primary chronic since 1999

« Reply #13 on: Mar 15th, 2004, 5:39pm »

on Mar 15th, 2004, 3:38pm, 1MajorPain wrote:
they charged me $50 extra each way to be sure they would have a tank sufficate to handle my needs....this was if I need it or not....

All the airplanes on all the airlines should have 02.  So why tell them and pay $50?
IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
justasound
New Board Junior
USA 

justasound76   dreamradial
WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 15th, 2004, 6:37pm »

Well..  Because I started this string I feel I should tell you all that after I got home I got hit for about 3 days, and now I'm fine!  I was afraid that my spring cycle had started early, but for now I'm pain free!!!  

I agree with the poster who said why pay more when the airlines have O2 on board all the time.  It's not like they are going to run out.  I am curious though, are their masks the non-rebreather type? I thought I saw a bag on the bottom of one on a movie or something...

Lee
IP Logged

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
Renee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

May we all find some pf time!  Is it summer yet?

Email

« Reply #15 on: Mar 16th, 2004, 9:48pm »

in regards to previous posts about elevation and ch, i am chronic and live in texas.  when i go to the mountains i am always pain free once getting there and the entire time i am there.    if i go to lower elevations, like houston or a beach, my ch is worse.

now, i did get hit with a big one coming down the pass from tahoe to reno and missed my flight!

truckeeeeee....ain't that some good fishin'!  

ok...back to o2 topic, masks, etc.... Wink

renee
IP Logged

23 years of battling the beast, 9 years chronic......uneducated docs/nurses make me irate.
The fungus among us is for real!

sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #16 on: Mar 17th, 2004, 4:11am »

Well, all I can say is that last year when I went to a nice holiday (Gran Canaria, Spain), on the first day I had to wake up early and had one, minor CH attack during the flight and new others during the holiday.

I know that in my case the lack of sleep increases the possibility to get CH. For me CH is so new that I can't really say about the cycles, but interestingly, that holiday did take place in March...

best wishes & PFdays,
sandie99
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

1MajorPain
New Board Junior
USA 

Pain is not my friend!

« Reply #17 on: Mar 20th, 2004, 5:48pm »

Air Travel  
Most U.S. air carriers and many overseas carriers can provide service for passengers requiring oxygen. The FAA requires a physician's statement of your oxygen needs in order to fly on a commercial airline. You cannot bring your own oxygen on board, you must use airline supplied oxygen. Requirements vary from carrier to carrier but, they all require arrangements be made in advance and they all charge for in flight oxygen. Some airlines require only 48 hours advance notice while others require seven days. The best rule of thumb is make arrangements as far in advance as possible. All airlines charge for oxygen, but the charges vary. (Note: Some first aid stations in airports have oxygen available).

Major
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss