Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 2:35pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Smoking? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Smoking?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Smoking?  (Read 1342 times)
LAW
New Board Newbie
USA 

what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger

Smoking?
« on: Feb 24th, 2004, 1:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have done a great deal of research on CH's (as I’m sure everyone here has) and I still don’t know if smoking plays a big part in the headaches.  Some doctors say yes and others say no.  Obviously, inhaling toxic chemicals on a regular basis is not helping my situation but what I want to know is if it is hurting my situation?  I mean was smoking the initial cause of these headaches?  Does anyone know for sure what the connection between smoking and CH’s are?  Then again does anyone know for sure what the connection between anything and CH’s are?  Is there any rhythm or reason behind these headaches from hell?
Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Laurie
IP Logged

I have but 1 Judge, the 1 absolute truth I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt is it's not u so, b4 u choose 2 place another in absolute judgement based on only what u see find no fault w/in urself 1st
thomas

Email

Re: Smoking?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24th, 2004, 1:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

There have been numerous posts on smoking, my personal belief is that most ch'ers have addictive personalities and that is why most of us smoke, but there are a lot of us who have never smoked but still have ch.  If you can quit, it can't hurt...... Grin
IP Logged
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 24th, 2004, 2:02pm »

I smoked from the age of 16 to 25 and for the most part 1 - 2 packs a day during that time. I stopped as soon as I found out I was pregnant with my daughter.  I have wanted to many times to tart again but I never have.  My HA started at the age of 31, so I doubt for me that there is a tie between smoking and CH.  

Maybe it acts as a trigger from some people.  

Thomas I do very much agree with the idea that most Clusterheads are addictive personalities. Which is one reason why so many of us are addicted to this board, even with the pety arguments and such, this board gives us a high, ie we feel good.  

PF wished to you.
Tiannia
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
LAW
New Board Newbie
USA 

what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger

« Reply #3 on: Feb 24th, 2004, 5:10pm »

Thanks for the insight.  I have read that a lot of people who suffer from CH’s are not smokers so, I assume my smoking is not a direct link.  None the less, quitting is at the top of my priorities b/c like you said Thomas…it can’t hurt.
IP Logged

I have but 1 Judge, the 1 absolute truth I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt is it's not u so, b4 u choose 2 place another in absolute judgement based on only what u see find no fault w/in urself 1st
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Feb 24th, 2004, 5:21pm »

on Feb 24th, 2004, 1:05pm, lwalsh wrote:
I still don’t know if smoking plays a big part in the headaches.  Some doctors say yes and others say no.  
IMHO (In My Humble Opinion) smoking plays no part in clusters. Some of us smoke, some of have quit and some have never smoked. And doctors say smoking causes any and all problems in the world.

Obviously, inhaling toxic chemicals on a regular basis is not helping my situation but what I want to know is if it is hurting my situation?  
You're right about inhaling toxic chemicals and I plan to start thinking about quitting smoking sometime in the future. No, Idon't think it is hurting your cluster situation. Now your lungs on the other hand.......

I mean was smoking the initial cause of these headaches?  
No.

does anyone know for sure what the connection between anything and CH’s are?  
Yes, there is a connection between your de-formed hypothalmus gland and clusters. I'm not making fun of your deformity, we all have one.

Is there any rhythm or reason behind these headaches from hell?
Yes. You are a very special person and the Devil loves you and has chosen you for special blessings.

Laurie

IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 24th, 2004, 5:54pm »

I used to smoke and they started when I was on about a pack and a half a day in 1969. I quit in 1980 but my clusters stuck around until I was 45 in 1991. It's hard to conclude much from this.  

The last time I looked; something like 47% of the board members smoked which is more than twice the national average.  

Beats me.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 24th, 2004, 6:48pm »

I smoke and I vote. EOF. National averages are for Methodists and Democrats.

Fuck `em if they can't take a joke,
RJ
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2004, 6:57pm by Mr. Happy » IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 24th, 2004, 8:04pm »

on Feb 24th, 2004, 2:02pm, Tiannia wrote:
 I have wanted to many times to tart again but I never have.  

Tiannia

Does tart mean the same thing there as over here? Grin

Wendy

IP Logged
Mastifflvr28
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Freddie's eyes

LVT27
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 25th, 2004, 10:02am »

For all of ya's that are thinking of Quitting...this is the BEST SITE!!!!

http://www.whyquit.com/

Mast,
One day, 1 hour, 14 minutes and 53 seconds. 42 cigarettes not smoked, saving $8.41. Life saved: 3 hours, 30 minutes.
IP Logged

Mastifflvr28 (aka Michelle A.)
Be part of the solution
http://www.ouch-us.org
OXYGEN!!!
http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm
thomas

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 25th, 2004, 10:07am »

Way to go Michelle, keep it up! Grin
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 25th, 2004, 10:20am »

Quote:
Does tart mean the same thing there as over here? Grin

I don't think most people here are aware of that Britishism. And one of the national pizza chains here advertises 'hand tossed' pizza -  don't know how well that would sell in the UK.
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 25th, 2004, 1:33pm »

Floridian

Now that DID make me laugh.
I'd buy one just to see what the topping looked like! laugh

Wendy
IP Logged
randal
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 29th, 2004, 11:14pm »

I Have been smoking for 25 years now about the same time as the clusters s but what I dont understand and I will most likely get shit from people for this remark but I have not had a drink of alcohol since I was 21 when these clusters started and it is the MAIN Trigger for a Cluster.Even if you drink out of cycle you are asking for trouble and its just real fucking stupid to swallow a demon when you have one with Clusters.Alcohol and clusters do not mix and that is fact just plain fucking Stupid Sorry!!!! Anyone who says they dont get a cluster from a drink of that demon is just kidding them selves--so with that said have a smoke... Grin
IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 29th, 2004, 11:25pm »

LOL  After years of prednipoison,Caferpuk,Lithiyumy,Imetrex, topomax, Beta blockers, no relief, guenie piggy for all the docs whats a smoke going to do !! Just watch out for the o2!!LMOL  the bbz
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
FZfan
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Not Insane

Email

« Reply #14 on: Feb 29th, 2004, 11:44pm »

Quit smoking? Hey, I'm a lot of things, but I ain't no quitter!  Grin
IP Logged

There is no such thing as a dirty word. Nor is there a word so powerful, that it's going to send the listener to the lake of fire upon hearing it. - FZ
daven

Email

« Reply #15 on: Mar 2nd, 2004, 7:32pm »

on Feb 29th, 2004, 11:25pm, thebbz wrote:
LOL  After years of prednipoison,Caferpuk,Lithiyumy,Imetrex, topomax, Beta blockers, no relief, guenie piggy for all the docs whats a smoke going to do !! Just watch out for the o2!!LMOL  the bbz

laughROFLBTC .....Now thats for sure .... O2 and any kind of open flame DO NOT MIX! Wink
IP Logged
Belle
New Board Veteran
Canada 

Kiss Me You Fool!

Email

« Reply #16 on: Mar 2nd, 2004, 7:39pm »

LMAO...........You guys sure no how to make someone laugh.

Belle
 Roll Eyes

P.S. Smoker for 14 and CH for 14 hhmmmm
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2004, 7:40pm by Belle » IP Logged

Take the time to stop and smell the roses!
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #17 on: Mar 3rd, 2004, 7:17am »

Not giving you any shit, Randal, but I and some others I know about can and dro drink in cycle. I even know somebody who used to take a glass of wine when for social reasons an imitrex shot seemed too difficult.

And kidding myself? How am I kidding myself when I take a few drinks on board and DON'T  get hit during the night (as in every other hourt on the hour...) and the next morning am but slightly hung over?

Not a method I would sincerely recommend, but  nothing to do with kidding either.
IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
kissmyglass
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Don't Mix Triptans

Email

« Reply #18 on: Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:49am »

Ave Dear...you forget to tell em you were washing down a handful of shrooms with that wine... Grin
IP Logged

"It does so fucking look like her" - Picasso
[img][/img]
JDH
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

We will get by, We will survive!

simnjue2u
Email

« Reply #19 on: Mar 3rd, 2004, 12:07pm »

on Feb 29th, 2004, 11:14pm, randal wrote:
Even if you drink out of cycle you are asking for trouble and its just real fucking stupid to swallow a demon when you have one with Clusters.Alcohol and clusters do not mix and that is fact just plain fucking Stupid Sorry!!!! Anyone who says they dont get a cluster from a drink of that demon is just kidding them selves--so with that said have a smoke... Grin

Kinda casting a wide net there aren't you Randal?
I'm episodic and I can drink with no problems when I'm not in a cycle. Drinking while in a cycle is definitely out for me but I know for a fact there are others here, mostly chronics, that can drink without triggering a h/a.

Jim
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2004, 12:08pm by JDH » IP Logged

9-11-01, to remember is to honor.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

ECH established 1985
ChrisUhl
New Board Newbie
Denmark 

Email

« Reply #20 on: Mar 8th, 2004, 7:33am »

Hey Laurie

I've had CH for a little over 3 years. When I first god the attacks, my father (who's suffered from CH for some +30 years) told me that smoking could easy the pain. Well, maybe not during the peak  of the attacks but just before and definately after. So that's when my smoking carreer started.

Some months later I went to see a neurologist. When he asked my about my smoking habits I was preparing myself for the speach. But then the guy actually said: Well, as a doctor I can't recommend that you start smoking. But now since you already do I'll let you in on a little secret. Some clusterheads actually find relief in smoking. So you just keep on doing it.

Delightfully political incorrect, right Wink

Anyway, I've found a way to easy the pain. And smoking certainly did not trigger my CH.

Hope this can be useful to you.

Cheers,

Chris
IP Logged

We keep dogs in a leash. Why can't we find a way to do this with Beasts?
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #21 on: Mar 8th, 2004, 8:21am »

Here come the unpopular answer (unpopular with me anyway as I smoke a lot)

We were told yesterday that although smoking is not a cause, nor will giving up be a cure, we should all stop as the long term effects of smoking on the heart may mean that in later age, many Ch treatment options may be closed to us and we will be harder to treat.

The message was very clearly that CH sufferers should give up.

I know I should but............ Embarassed

Wendy
IP Logged
genss
New Board Newbie
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #22 on: Mar 8th, 2004, 10:14am »

I started smoking at the age of seventeen.  The same age my cluster headaches started.  Over 2 years ago I changed my lifestyle.  No smoking or drinking or even being around people who smoke. No more smoky bars.   I had no cluster headaches during this period. Early this year in February I spent a lot of time at my sisters house (I hadn't for 2 years) and they all smoke.  My headaches came back that same week.
IP Logged
KarynG
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #23 on: Mar 8th, 2004, 3:40pm »

I smoked for twenty years and finally quit two years ago (March 1).  I have had clusters for seven years so I have experienced cycles both as a smoker and non-smoker.  I have not noticed any differences in cycles with the exception that the last two cycles were longer.  I doubt that had anything to do with quitting though; clusters just change sometimes.
I agree with Thomas that maybe Clusterheads tend to have addictive personalities.  These days I am addicted to the gym, but years ago... laugh
I also drink when not in cycle without any problems, but can't even take one drink during a cycle without bringing on a CH.
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2004, 3:42pm by KarynG » IP Logged

If you want to be somebody else, If you're tired of fighting battles with yourself, If you want to be somebody else, Change Your Mind
Sister Hazel
thomas

Email

« Reply #24 on: Mar 8th, 2004, 6:11pm »

on Feb 24th, 2004, 1:08pm, thomas wrote:
 If you can quit, it can't hurt...... Grin

Don't know about this anymore.  Since I quit smoking, have been having shadows and heavy shadows, daily.  Actually went and got more zomig yesterday, just incase. lol.  We'll see how it goes.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss