Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 10:10pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « food and chemical triggers »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   food and chemical triggers
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: food and chemical triggers  (Read 646 times)
violet
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

food and chemical triggers
« on: Feb 27th, 2004, 7:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Everyone,
Do any of you have food or chemical triggers?  What are they?  Nutra-Sweet is a biggie for me, as well as MSG.
Thanks,
Vi
IP Logged
thomas

Email

Re: food and chemical triggers
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27th, 2004, 7:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

When in cycle......... grilled meat is a big one.  And that stuff that they put in diet soda.
IP Logged
renny
New Board Junior
USA 

rennny07   renny
Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 27th, 2004, 9:11pm »

hi!    I for sure have MSG reaction...some chinese food and frozen dinners...also I think strong scents...heavy perfume or cologne will do it!  ...Karen
IP Logged

tell me...did the wind sweep you off a' your feet...
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #3 on: Feb 28th, 2004, 8:32am »

Violet, as long as you don;'t forget that for each the trigger may be different...

Never had any food/drink triggers, not even alcohol,  till I forgot myself over some liquorice. I didn't know I could run 20 meters (to my O2 bottle) that fast!

Smells make me uncomfortable,  East winds used to bring out my migraines. Having my hair done vigorously and, tweezering my eyebrow on that side will call up biiiig shadows.

's Why I always go for wax jobs now. Short, sharp and Ooooover!

IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Feb 28th, 2004, 8:06pm »

I wonder if this is why when in a cluster cycle i tend to forfeit cleanliness of any sort while eating next to nothing.....I can't stand the smell of anything - LOL - except my own stinky self.... Embarassed

Oh well, i always look on the brite side - .......SO> on the one hand i always know who my friends are and at the end of EVERY SINGLE cycle - i'm svelt Cool

No food.  No odiferous chemicals (this may often include body odor control Shocked)

I have said it b4 and i'll say it AGAIN -= Clusters tend ta make ya "flatline"............avoid the stuff that sets ya off

But. - that's jes me. Cheesy
IP Logged
paul_b
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

guido90601  

« Reply #5 on: Feb 28th, 2004, 11:32pm »

Msg, celantro, jasmine;  they are bad dudes for me.
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 29th, 2004, 10:16am »

Just beer...
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
kissmyglass
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Don't Mix Triptans

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 29th, 2004, 8:00pm »

Ave??  
How you doin dear?  East winds used to bring out your migranes??  What the fuck is up with that??   Smiley

Perfume & candles are a serious trigger for me, doesn't seem like any food bothers my chronic head...

Kev
IP Logged

"It does so fucking look like her" - Picasso
[img][/img]
NYRenee
New Board Newbie
USA 

All I can do is B there for U

« Reply #8 on: Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:25am »

My boyfriend has found several foods that can send him bouncing off the walls.  We've made the connection to foods with MSG, this includes certain seasoned salts etc. that I've had to remove from my cupboard, such as meat tenderizer, seasoned salt, some bullion cubes also have MSG in them.  I don't dare use them anymore.

After some investigation we have found foods with something called Tannins in them can be a trigger.  After two horrific weeks and a trip to the ER, we made the connection to of all things Bananas these little buggers have Tannins in them...needless to say bananas are not welcome in our home.  Sharp cheddar cheese is another tannin food.  Oh and last night (he knows better then to do this) he had a soda and with in the same hour had a piece of chocolate...it was almost an ER night.  Go to this website for more info http://www.widomaker.com/~jnavia/tannins/tannexpl.htm
The title of the website is Could Tannins Explain Classic Migraine Triggers? Now I know that this is more for Migraine sufferers but I think it has a lot of good info.  

Oh and I'm starting to look into spices with Annatto seeds in them.... a lot of Latin type spices have annatto, like curry mixes etc.  I would have to get back to you on where I saw that this can be a trigger.....good luck Violet.  
IP Logged
JDH
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

We will get by, We will survive!

simnjue2u
Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:39am »

Only sure fire triggers I have are 2 of my favorite things...sleep & beer  Angry

I also triggered a h/a once while in a hot tub so no more of those for me.  

Jim
IP Logged

9-11-01, to remember is to honor.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

ECH established 1985
Belle
New Board Veteran
Canada 

Kiss Me You Fool!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 3rd, 2004, 4:27pm »

My triggers are oranges and anything perfumy.  It gets so sensitive that I change all my product to scent free.  Do you know how hard it is to find odourless shampoo and cond.?  I'm 50/50 with beer but one glass of wine while I'm in a cycle and my night's over.  

Belle
 Roll Eyes

P.S.  That's an interesting thing about the Tannin's.  I thought that I had been out of my cycle for about 2 weeks.  Had a banana two day ago and had a kip 3 and I had another last night and had a kip 8 this morning.  T wonder???
IP Logged

Take the time to stop and smell the roses!
Jayster
New Board Newbie
USA 

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

3105147 3105147   jayster75075  
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 4th, 2004, 6:08pm »

For me, the only trigger I have been able to find is ANY alcohol.  It doesn't matter, beer, wine, or liquor.  I would like to know if anyone has noticed their clusters to be seasonal?  I have had sessions at every time of the year, but mostly in the fall or early Winter.  I had an attack start about 2 weeks ago, and the last episode was 3 years ago, which also started in January (and lasted for 6 months).

Fortunately, I am one of the lucky ones that responds well to oxygen.  This session I have not had to go on narcotics to help with the pain.  Also, the oxygen really seems to help shorten both the frequency and intensity of the attacks.  I have had several nights with no headaches.

One other treatment I have found is mild Yoga just before bed.  I started doing PM Yoga (available on DVD) to help me sleep, but I noticed once the attack started that if I do Yoga before bed, my headaches are greatly reduced.  It has been on the nights I've skipped it that I've had my worst headaches.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Jay
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 4th, 2004, 6:11pm »

on Feb 27th, 2004, 9:11pm, renny wrote:
heavy perfume or cologne will do it!  ...Karen

Oh yeah......... those get me everytime too.
IP Logged
FZfan
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Not Insane

Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 4th, 2004, 6:38pm »

Wow Jay, your story sounds almost identical to mine. I had a nine month hiatus, and then nearly two weeks ago, wham!  

It's an early changing of the seasons here where I live. Much earlier than normal. Coincidence?

Like you, my only trigger is alcohol of any kind, and thanks to this web-site and their excellent information on o2, I have found that I don't need narcotics this time around. Turns out I was using o2 incorrectly. This web site deserves a medal! Now oxygen is killing every h/a I'm getting this time around if I get to it fast enough.

I've also had the similar experience of less intensity and the occassional "day off". I was so excited by my success with o2 this time around I bought my own tank and regulator yesterday. No more rentals!

Now I'm not quite sure if all the progress I'm making is strickly due to the o2 as I am also taking Lexpro to increase the amount of seretonin in the brain. Maybe it's the combination of the two or maybe the Lexpro isn't doing a damn thing. Who knows? I guess I could stop taking the Lexpro and see if anything changes, but since I'm having success killing the h/a's and getting the occassional night's sleep, I'm afraid to change anything I'm currently doing.

Hope the o2 keep working for ya man! And let my experience be a lesson for others, just because something wasn't working for you in the past, doesn't mean it's not worth another try, especially when you learn something new about it. Read everything available on the buttons to the left, even if you think you already know about it!
IP Logged

There is no such thing as a dirty word. Nor is there a word so powerful, that it's going to send the listener to the lake of fire upon hearing it. - FZ
BlueMeanie

Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 4th, 2004, 7:42pm »

Nope. No foods are a trigger for me. Only BEER and those aroma floral smells will trigger my CH's.
IP Logged
echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Chronic and still alive --- I Win!

« Reply #15 on: Mar 5th, 2004, 11:23am »

Any beer other than Miller High Life, and  Chardonay  wine are the only ones that are a sure thing to rip my eyeball out.
IP Logged

"If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".

Proud Dad of a US Marine, and a former Marine turned Police Officer.

KarynG
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #16 on: Mar 5th, 2004, 3:26pm »

Just alcohol for me.  It really stinks because I love to sit out back and drink wine or beer on warm nights... sigh.

But heavy perfume does give me a regular headache (oh shoot can I SAY regular headache? Grin)
IP Logged

If you want to be somebody else, If you're tired of fighting battles with yourself, If you want to be somebody else, Change Your Mind
Sister Hazel
JoeKen
New Board Junior
England 

Late Life Sufferer.

« Reply #17 on: Mar 5th, 2004, 3:28pm »

Smiley
Hi All,
When in cycle, commercial alcoholic drinks in any form are a trigger for me, (and I just love red wine!!), but less so when out of cycle. Aspartane (or Aspartan, depending on where you live), which is a source of Phenyl Alanine, will trigger me any time. Aspartane is found in many low calorie drinks and unfortunately also in many other non-diet foods and drinks. My advice is to read all the labels carefully.  
I also suspect that Aparane is used in varying amounts in many alcoholic drinks, but as they do not have to list the ingredients this is difficult to confirm, unless someone out there works in the alcoholic beverage industry. What I do know is that, when on holiday in southern Italy, I could drink the local red wine, served 'loose' in carafs, with impunity, but when I tried red wine of the same name but from a bottle, in a good hotel in Naples on the last day of the holiday, I had an horrendous ha a few hours later.
My strong suspicions are that what goes in the industrially produced drinks, (like Aspartane), rather than the alcohol, is probably the real trigger  -  anyone out there have any views on this??
JoeKen.
IP Logged

Not sure I should be here, but it's as near as I'm going to get to finding out what is the correct name for my condition. Usually KIP 5 or below but last up to 16 hours and always one-sided, behind the eye, usually right but ocassionally left.
Rick_K
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #18 on: Mar 5th, 2004, 11:20pm »

When in cycle a beer will bring it on every time.......

gotta keep away from MSG (bad shit), nitrates and sleep
IP Logged

episodic since 1969........damn
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss