Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 10:51pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulator »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulator
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulator  (Read 436 times)
KarynG
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulator
« on: Mar 18th, 2004, 10:35am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Everyone,

A family member recently gave me a Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation system that can be also be used as a Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulator.  The literature says that when the electrodes are placed on the skin over cutaneous nerves, the stimuli travels through the cutaneous nerves to the deeper afferent nerves and then to the spinal cord and brain to control pain.

Whew!  Okay, now I have a fairly slow computer and google brought forth a LOT of information which may or may not be accurate as lots of people are apparently selling these things for a ridiculous array of conditions. I did not find anything on the search engine here.  It does not seem that this machine helps with back pain according to the study I read in the New England Journal, but I am wondering if anyone has tried it for a CH and if so what were the results?

Thank you!
IP Logged

If you want to be somebody else, If you're tired of fighting battles with yourself, If you want to be somebody else, Change Your Mind
Sister Hazel
thomas

Email

Re: Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulator
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18th, 2004, 10:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have not used it, but would be interested in what results you may have with it.  Although, I hope you never have to use it.
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2004, 10:40am by thomas » IP Logged
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 18th, 2004, 2:17pm »

My father uses a TENS Unit for his back and so does my husband.  Never thought about using it for CH though. Not sure where you would put it.  

PF Wishes to you.
Tiannia
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
KarynG
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 18th, 2004, 3:02pm »

Thanks, I appreciate the input and I saw those websites but I'm not really looking for information from the people who sell these things.  The receipt in the bag for the one I have says $950.00 so I think they might be just a little biased on how well they work...  I'm just looking for any info from someone who might have tried it or just has some thoughts or ideas about it.  I doubt there have been any studies, but you never know.  It's hard sometimes in the land of dial up with a prehistoric phone line...
 Grin
IP Logged

If you want to be somebody else, If you're tired of fighting battles with yourself, If you want to be somebody else, Change Your Mind
Sister Hazel
UN_SOLVED
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I need a fully-automatic Imitrex injector !!

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 18th, 2004, 4:44pm »

Sorry...No faith in it. The OSNI failed for me so I doubt a TENS unit would work either.
See "Occipital Nerve Stimulator" in the Medications & Treatments board.

Unsolved
IP Logged

I'm STILL alive ?
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

primary chronic since 1999

« Reply #5 on: Mar 18th, 2004, 6:27pm »

It's probably not the best idea to go zapping your head with even a little electricity without any kind of knowledeable medical guidance, CH or not.
IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 19th, 2004, 10:26am »

THe electricity experience I have . .wasn't/isn't for ch . . .I liked it, but it didn't 'fix' anything . . .even the hospital/therapy strength TENS didn't 'fix' anything, just felt like elephants dancing on the injury . . .no healing power for me . . .I even wore an e/s patch . . .

$950 is WAY expensive . . .if you really would like one, let me know the mondel/style etc, and I'll check the prices here . . .if they are the same, your relative can return that one, and I can send you the information on  how to get it from here . . .they were only . .maybe 1/2 that price, last time I checked.
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
KarynG
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 19th, 2004, 11:17am »

Thanks very much for the offer, but it was paid for by insurance. (Probably explains why it was so expensive)  I will just keep it and talk to my physical therapist about whether it would be safe to at least try using it for CH and keep my ears open for future info.  Thanks again!
IP Logged

Sister Hazel
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss