Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 11:52pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Shadows & Final Resolution »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Shadows & Final Resolution
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Shadows & Final Resolution  (Read 350 times)
Jeepgun

Email

Shadows & Final Resolution
« on: Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Sorry for the bolus of noobie questions, but here they are:

1. What are "shadows"?

2. Once you have clusters, do you ever "outgrow" them? Do they ever go away forever and never come back?

Thank you.

-Frank
IP Logged
ChrisUhl
New Board Newbie
Denmark 

Email

Re: Shadows & Final Resolution
« Reply #1 on: Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey Frank

Welcome aboard. I'm a newbie too having had CH for only 3 years. But I'll try to answer your questions anyway (although you're probably gonna get much more in depth and qualified answers).

Shadows is that annoying pain inbetween attacks. For the first two years I didn't experience them. The out of the blue they appeared when I was in my cycle. As I understand shadows manifest themselves quite differently from person to person. In my case it's a burning sensation behind my left eye and temple. It's kinda like the attacks just way more bearable. Sometimes my teeth ache too. I found caffeine, nicotine and oxygen good ways of killing the shadows. I use caffeine pills and nicotine pads for that. And of course the oxygen mask when I'm near my tank.

When the shadows get really bad I use one third of Imitrex. It's described in another post how to do that but in short you unscrew the syringe, plunge it in your thigh (almost all the way in) and plunge down the rubber plunger with a thin something (a tooth pick for instance). This will sure kill the shadows - at least in my case.

There's hope ahead for loosing the clusters altogether. My neuro told me that most people grow out of it about age 60. But some people experience it longer. My dad had CH from he was 26 to 53. And has been pain free for 8 years. So hope lies ahead - way ahead.  Wink

Sorry to hear about your CH by the way. How long have you had it?
IP Logged

We keep dogs in a leash. Why can't we find a way to do this with Beasts?
Jeepgun

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:38pm »

on Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:30pm, ChrisUhl wrote:
Hey Frank

Welcome aboard. I'm a newbie too having had CH for only 3 years. But I'll try to answer your questions anyway (although you're probably gonna get much more in depth and qualified answers).

Shadows is that annoying pain inbetween attacks. For the first two years I didn't experience them. The out of the blue they appeared when I was in my cycle. As I understand shadows manifest themselves quite differently from person to person. In my case it's a burning sensation behind my left eye and temple. It's kinda like the attacks just way more bearable. Sometimes my teeth ache too. I found caffeine, nicotine and oxygen good ways of killing the shadows. I use caffeine pills and nicotine pads for that. And of course the oxygen mask when I'm near my tank.

When the shadows get really bad I use one third of Imitrex. It's described in another post how to do that but in short you unscrew the syringe, plunge it in your thigh (almost all the way in) and plunge down the rubber plunger with a thin something (a tooth pick for instance). This will sure kill the shadows - at least in my case.

There's hope ahead for loosing the clusters altogether. My neuro told me that most people grow out of it about age 60. But some people experience it longer. My dad had CH from he was 26 to 53. And has been pain free for 8 years. So hope lies ahead - way ahead.  Wink

Sorry to hear about your CH by the way. How long have you had it?

Thank you. I've had them for about four years now, but have yet to experience shadows, thankfully.

I'm turning thirty-five in a couple of weeks, so maybe I have only twenty-five years left to go! Yippee!! LOL! *sob*
IP Logged
echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Chronic and still alive --- I Win!

« Reply #3 on: Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:46pm »

on Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:17pm, Jeepgun wrote:
1. What are "shadows"?

To me they are the dull feeling pre and post CH.  Not enough to rip you eye out, but enough to know the SOB is about to, or has, knocked on your brain.

on Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:17pm, Jeepgun wrote:

2. Once you have clusters, do you ever "outgrow" them? Do they ever go away forever and never come back?

Good God I hope so!  I doubt it --  but I hope so.  The only real cure is a "Dirt Nap".

IP Logged

"If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".

Proud Dad of a US Marine, and a former Marine turned Police Officer.

Jeepgun

Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 2nd, 2004, 1:06pm »

When in the throes of one, I swear I would sell my soul for relief if I could, and I have sincerely prayed in pain-wrackled sobs for death.  Cry Sad Embarassed
IP Logged
joesf
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Apr 2nd, 2004, 1:29pm »

My shadows consist of the spectrum from a HA behind both eyes and top of head ( kind of like you been out in the sun too long) to bruised tender feelings on the cluster  HA side sideburn, neck, eye.
I have been getting these for 40 years.  I am 55 now. The time between episodes went from annual to biannual to now 5 years as I got older. HAs are not as intense as when I was younger, or I am dealing w/ pain more effeciently.  
I gave up trying drugs and doctors at 40. I just tried O2 this time and I am unsreof its effectiveness. At first I thought it was working, but then I got 2 bad ones that went right through it. If theses HAs were lessened from the O2 I dont know however. I stopped using it and noticed i had a series of brief ones coming and going. Last night I had  the longest but certainlly not the most painful HA ever lasting about 11 hours. I dealt with that one with showers, rubbing the head, and trying to be calm. These were brief waves out with longer periods of pain. Kind of like a sine wave. About a 8 max on a 1-10 scale of pain.
IP Logged
Killroy 2.0
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kilroy 2.0 is Here! Kilroy 2.0 is Everywhere!

gmlevenhagen  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 2nd, 2004, 2:17pm »

on Apr 2nd, 2004, 1:06pm, Jeepgun wrote:
When in the throes of one, I swear I would sell my soul for relief if I could, and I have sincerely prayed in pain-wrackled sobs for death.  Cry Sad Embarassed

Don't worry about this one, I think everyone has had those thoughts a few times, I know I have Tongue
IP Logged

Do the walls speak to you? Do you follow the Geek Messiah? DO YOU COMPLY?!
Jeepgun

Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 2nd, 2004, 2:59pm »

Thanks, Gena. It's reassuring to be among people who actually understand. That's the hardest thing, I think: You can explain these things until you are blue in the face, but nobody really ever understands.  Undecided
IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 4th, 2004, 7:55am »

The good news is that a lot of people have seemed have "outgrown" this horror. I had them for 22 years but my last real attack was April of 1991. It's been 13 years for me. I'm 57. There may indeed be an age factor but it isn't proven. There are those who have developed CH in their 60s.  

I don't know about "shadows." To me I was getting clobbered or not. I don't remember anything else.  

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Turts
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight

Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 6th, 2004, 3:44am »

Quote:
1. What are "shadows"?

For me shadows herald the start of the cycle. I usually wake up of a morning with a sickly hunger pain in the stomach. You definately know what is means when they turn up. Once the cycle picks up momentum the shadow dissapears and I just get a sudden WHACK. We all know what I mean.  
Sometimes I get an aura, a flashing of specs in my eyesight and a slight dissiness before the,tap,tap, tap at my cellar door.

shadow- Also used in the kip scale to the left of screen

Quote:

I hope so.

Turts
IP Logged

'I'm very brave generally,' he went on in a low voice: 'only today I happen to have a headache.' (Lewis Carroll)
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss