Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 11:51pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Needing advice »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Needing advice
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Needing advice  (Read 357 times)
crazy_mj
New Board Junior
USA 

SSDD

Needing advice
« on: Oct 4th, 2004, 9:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I went to the neurologist friday for my two month check-up, and he increased the dose of my verapamil from 120 to 240.  I started taking them on that day, and by Sunday I was in serious trouble.  I could not get my heart to calm down, it was racing so fast, like right after you get an adrenaline rush.  This went on from about two p.m. until eight p.m.  I thought I was going to die.  I also constant pressure in my head like when you have a head cold, and my body was burning up on the inside and freezing on the outside.  I took my pulse at one point and it was around the 110-120 range.
I called the doc this morning and they told me they wanted to reduce my dose from the 240 to 180, and what I had felt was just a "nasty little side effect".  I told them that I would take the 120 for now until I could make my way to the pharmacy.
About thirty minutes after taking it my heart began to race again.  This lasted for about an hour this time.  I called again, and was told to start taking the 180 dose now.  
Has anyone else ever had a side effect like this??? Should I continue to do what the doctor says?
IP Logged
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

Re: Needing advice
« Reply #1 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 4:31am »

No one in their right mind is going to say "Don't do what the doc says"...
I have not heard of anyone reporting that side effect from verap... But that doesn't mean much...
It seems sort of backwords to me since it lowers the BP... Huh
If the effect is too uncomfortable, I would discuss alternative treatment.
Did it help the CH at all?
IP Logged

Chris
Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 7:34am »

Hi MJ
I took 240 mg/ day for the first time a couple months ago and had the same thing for a couple days. It felt like a real adrenailine rush for a couple hrs. Then it was gone.
IP Logged
crazy_mj
New Board Junior
USA 

SSDD

« Reply #3 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 8:36am »

The low dose of verapamil had kinda kept the attacks in check for almost a month.  But they had started in again real hardcore last month, so that was why he increased the dose.
Actually I thought it would lower my BP too, but on my first visit before the verap. my BP was like 70/120 and now it is  80/140 before the increased dose.
I don't know man, the side effect sucks pretty bad.
IP Logged
netniet
New Board Junior

going to the headbangersbal

« Reply #4 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 1:48pm »

Im getting 240 mg when i just start taking the meds I had mild headaches feeling cold most of the time. And Sometimes it feels like my heart is jumping.

I think your body needs to get used to verapermil.

Ninet  

IP Logged
RPS
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 2:06pm »

I got a similar effect when I increased my Verapamil dossage to 480.  I would get shortness of breath and my heart would race or feel like it was beating heavier.  This would happen after meals or even after walking a few blocks.  I stopped taking it cause when this would happen it would trigger a HA.  Plus it didn't feel right.  

After I stopped taking it the symptoms went away.  I was also on the tail end of my cycle so I am not sure if stopping the med actually did anything to make my cycle longer.  I told my Doc and they said maybe we'll do a Prednisone taper for my next cycle.
IP Logged
hoosierdaddy
New Board Newbie
USA 

Are we having fun yet?

« Reply #6 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 2:49pm »

I'm taking 180 Verapamil and I have the same side effects. My heart rate has been up to around 90 for several hours but I am staying with it. I think anxiaty might have an impact as well. I do deep breathing, long slow breaths in through the nose and out the mouth.  

Good luck,
IP Logged

..."it feels as if my head is giving birth to my brain and can't decide whether to use my right eye or right nostril as the birth canal."

Hoosier-Daddy?
;^)
Tom
New Board Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 6:33pm »

Hi MJ,

you definitely need an ECG!

In a person with normal electrical heart conduction system verapamil should slow down the heart rate, but not so in individuals with certain types of accessory conduction fibres.

In some individuals there are special heart conditions, they posses accessory conducting fibres that connect atrial and ventricular myocardium outside of the normal conduction axis of the heart. Two of the concerning syndromes are cold Wolff-Parkinson-White (WPW) syndrome and Lown-Ganong-Levine Syndrome.

In persons with either a WPW or the Lown-Ganong-Levine Syndrome verapamil can cause a dangerously rapid heart rate, it can reach up to ±200 beats/min and even lead to a sudden death.

Speak to your neurologist and try to consult a cardiologist, the a.m. syndromes should be ruled out urgently!

Thomas
IP Logged

Thomas/Munich
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 8:46pm »

Ditto to Thomas ...

Verapamil's primary purpose is to slow down and regulate the heartbeat.  It's just per chance that it also helps with Cluster Headaches.

If your heart is experiencing the opposite effect, it needs to be evaluated ASAP.  Don't increase your dose until you've had that done.

Take Care,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss