Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 3:45am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « I need some opinions...... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   I need some opinions......
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: I need some opinions......  (Read 521 times)
ExplodingEyeBall
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I can't think of anything clever to put here.

I need some opinions......
« on: Oct 7th, 2004, 8:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

OK. I'm still not sure about some things here.

When I get woke up in the middle of the night by a headache, I'm pretty sure that it is CH. Typical extreme pain behind the eye, temple, teeth, etc... Can't sit still or sleep. The only typical symptom missing from these is the nasal thing. It may be there but so far I havne't noticed maybe because of the pain or because I got woke up in the middle of the night and I'm still in a daze.

Here's the confusing part...  

I have been out of cycle for a few months. Over the last few day, I have felt what seemed like they could be shadows coming on.

Yesterday, I got hammered with a really bad sinus cold. That is what I've always called them any way. I get these about the same time every year and they are extremely painful.

I did a google on CH symptoms last night and What I'm thinking of as my yearly sinus colds fits perfectly with these symptoms.

Pain behind the eye (not as painful as the night time head aches). Extreme burning, itching in the eye and on the side of the nose right by the corner of my eye. Runny nose (what a f*****g mess). Pain in my temple (again not as bad as the night time ones). Droopy, watering eye. Pain in my teeth.

The pain in my eye and temple are not close to what I get when I have a night time CH but the discomfort from ithe itching/burning in my sinus(one side only) and eye is almost unbearable.

This pain DID eventually move into the deeper extreme pain in my eye and temple.

Is this classic CH or was it a sinus cold that triggered CH??

I'm open to opinions right now since I have a Neuro appt. on the 14th. I'd like to know what I should discuss with him.

As it is right now, I'm afraid I'm going to have to say my cycle has started. This is going to suck really bad while I'm camping this week end.

Thanks.......

Pat
IP Logged

Just poke out my eye and get it over with!!!
don

Email

Re: I need some opinions......
« Reply #1 on: Oct 7th, 2004, 11:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

All I can add is that sinus infections and even common head colds have triggered attacks for me.
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Oct 7th, 2004, 12:07pm »

IMHO your symptoms sound like clusters.

Except the burning/itching. I've never experienced that but we are all different. Maybe other have felt it.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Tessjasmine
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 7th, 2004, 1:09pm »

For me the clusters ALWAYS seem to be linked to sinus colds.  For anyone else a common cold is just a common cold - for me it's the start of a month of agony.  I don't know why sometimes I get the cold but no clusters - but I never get the clusters with no sinus congestion.  Try sudafed along with your cluster medication - it can't do any harm and may help.  Also stick your head over a bowl of really hot water and menthol before bed - and try to sleep with your head propped up so it drains instead of collecting.  Good luck. xx
IP Logged
snook
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

know what your feeling!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 7th, 2004, 2:05pm »

Roll Eyes Undecided Huh Huhim so glad to have read your question, you are so not alone with this feeling. my husband about 3 years ago got a very bad sinus cold, not long after that ch started. he went to a few eye nose and throut docs , then finnally ch doc. anyway we think hes at the end a a very bad cycle of ch that has lasted what seems like forever, now were not sure if what he is experiencing are shadow ch but he has described the feeling of the very painful burning on his left side of his head and nose and he also has this feeling like something is stuck up in his nasal passage like he just wants to blow it out or like something is stuck up in his passage, the burnig , watering itching . he says the feeling is not like that pounding with ch the left side of his head is really sore and really hurts but it is really affecting or feels really sinus like. hes on antibiotics now were hoping that will  help. but again your not alone its hard enough to deal with the chs but now and really  through all his cycles with the beast he  ALWAYS remarks about how its so closely related to the sinus. anyway hope this gives you alittle comfort to know your not alone with those symtoms.  we still are trying to understand the ch thing and on top of it the sinus thing too.   i hope your not going through this alone if you are were all here . thats one thing ive learned as a wife of a ch  husband, im ever so grateful for this web site   ... good luck hope i helped a little!!!!!! my prays are with you barb Huh
IP Logged
Tom K
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wait 5 days, but I'm angry now...

Paintba11z

« Reply #5 on: Oct 7th, 2004, 2:49pm »

I've done the "No, it's sinus" thing plenty of times.  Sinus infections have triggered CH cycles or was it the cycle all along?  Just heard the other day that what most people think is a sinus infection is really a headache, possibly CH.  That could cause the jump in the number of new people on the boards, not counting Ali, of course.
IP Logged

"America, you're so fine, you're so fine, you blow my mind. America, America."-Bart Simpson
ExplodingEyeBall
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I can't think of anything clever to put here.

« Reply #6 on: Oct 7th, 2004, 3:02pm »

Thank you for the advice everybody.

I am just about convinced that what I thought was my sinus colds are actually the beginnings of my CH cycle.

I'll ask the doc what he thinks when I talk to him next week.

Snook........
I'm as gald to have read your reply as you were to read my question. At least I know that someone else has something similar happening.

It sounds like you understand CH a lot better than most CH spouses. My wife is supportive but doesn't completely understand it too good yet. When I wake up a night with a head banger, she always gets up with me and tries to help.
IP Logged

Just poke out my eye and get it over with!!!
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 7th, 2004, 7:40pm »

Quote:
Is this classic CH or was it a sinus cold that triggered CH??

I understand entirely where you're coming from, since I too am a fall sinus infection initiate as well.......but according to the numbers from the Big Time Guys, it's the solstices, not the equinoxes that are seasonal triggers for the majority.
It really doesn't matter. If you take a triptan, and it goes away, you pretty much have your answer.

Screwed again,
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Jonny

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 7th, 2004, 7:48pm »

Your just a pu-ssy....suck it up, man!!

(I know he wont be back till next week so I can laugh till then Grin )

..................................jonny
IP Logged
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Oct 7th, 2004, 8:08pm »

My inability to end my last cycle was tied to f'ed up sinuses.

The simple test I perform to see if a given headache is in any way CH related:
Take a small shot of Trex... see if it goes bye bye.

I had an annoying little K3 last month that seemed very CH-like.  Trex chased it away in 5 minutes.  Which left me going WTF, since it has been 3-4 months since my last cycle and should be 2 years until my next.

Best EEB.
IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
rubberplant
New Board Junior
United_Kingdom 

"Why me, why me, why me!?!?"

rubber.plant@mac.com
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 8th, 2004, 12:02pm »

Man!

I thought this thread read " I need some onions "! laugh

James
IP Logged

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
http://www.james-gardner.co.uk
toolong
New Board Veteran
USA 

Looking for an answer

WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 8th, 2004, 12:20pm »

Back in March saw some witch doctors at the Michigan Head Neck and Pain Clinic.Some of the things they used to diagonse my CH,were the history of symptons you describe.The Nero,with the bone in his nose,said it was very common to have sinus symptons before and during a cycle.Don't know if that is an opinion.But it cost me mucho $ to find out.Hope it helps.Good luck. hammerDavid
IP Logged

Hey,watch this!I saw it on a cartoon and I think it might work!
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #12 on: Oct 8th, 2004, 1:29pm »

on Oct 7th, 2004, 1:09pm, Tessjasmine wrote:
Try sudafed along with your cluster medication - it can't do any harm and may help.

Actually, it is dangerous to suggest someone add extra medications to their mix without knowing what meds they are taking or without knowing their medical history.  It quite possibly could do harm.  

Maybe you should suggest that they consult their doctor about adding xxxx medication or at least check for interactions at one of the many sites such as

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/Home/AllAboutDrugs

Medicines for migraine and mental depression, of which clusterheads take many, are listed as having interactions with sudafed.  Likewise it can have negative effects on people with heart disease, heart rhythm problems or high blood pressure and others as well.  See here:

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/DVH/Uses/0,3915,573|Sudafed,00.html

Food for thought for everyone, not just you.

Gator
IP Logged
snook
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

still thinging of ya
« Reply #13 on: Oct 9th, 2004, 4:06pm »

Roll Eyeshey pat,   hope your hanging in there? the one of many things ive learned being the wife of a ch is to keep learnig , listening and asking ? all the time. what always  really blows me away is how many mates parteners or freinds bail on chs. thats why this site is a god send to me, nothing will EVER stop me from trying to continue to help my husband. i know my roll as for what works for us, when the beast comes be it sinus or ch which i believe are tied together anyway, i make sure he has plenty of h20, the blinds are drawn, then i LEAVE HIM ALONE. that sounds cold but ive learned from talking to him when it hits the ch DOES NOT WANT TO BE TOUCHED OR TALKED TO . its hard enough dealing with the ha having someone thinking thier helping touching them or hanging or even talking to them can be the worst thing at the time  that works for us anyway. i  like i hope i said before i hope you have someone to understand and love you through the nightmare of chs.  i got side tracted i just wanted to check back with you my prays are with you and all. snook
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Oct 9th, 2004, 4:46pm »

Quote:
http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/DVH/Uses/0,3915,573|Sudafed,00.html  
Food for thought for everyone, not just you.

Thanks for that Gator, I looked up all my prescribed medicines and found three interactions which just goes to show how careful you have to be
I shall use this alot from now on!
Helen Smiley Smiley
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

BlueMeanie

Email

« Reply #15 on: Oct 9th, 2004, 5:20pm »

on Oct 7th, 2004, 8:54am, ExplodingEyeBall wrote:
When I get woke up in the middle of the night by a headache, I'm pretty sure that it is CH. Typical extreme pain behind the eye, temple, teeth, etc... Can't sit still or sleep.  
(CLUSTER HEADACHE)

Pain behind the eye (not as painful as the night time head aches). Extreme burning, itching in the eye and on the side of the nose right by the corner of my eye. Runny nose (what a f*****g mess). Pain in my temple (again not as bad as the night time ones). Droopy, watering eye. Pain in my teeth.
(SINUS HEADACHE)

IMO: If you're episodic and don't continue getting those hurting runny nose headaches for a CYCLE then they are probably NOT clusters, but in fact sinus headaches.

I hate to see everyone who gets sinus headaches thinking they are Cluster Headaches. I've had both and a sinus headache hurts NOTHING like a Cluster Headache.  

on Oct 8th, 2004, 1:29pm, Gator wrote:

Actually, it is dangerous to suggest someone add extra medications to their mix without knowing what meds they are taking or without knowing their medical history.  It quite possibly could do harm.  

Likewise it can have negative effects on people with heart disease, heart rhythm problems or high blood pressure and others as well.

Gator

Sudafed mixed with Trex can cause your heart to nearly explode. I tried it once and I'm lucky to warn you about it now. Be careful !!!!!!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss