Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 4:21am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Does CH know the O2 Mask? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Does CH know the O2 Mask?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Does CH know the O2 Mask?  (Read 360 times)
Connie
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

Does CH know the O2 Mask?
« on: Oct 10th, 2004, 8:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Seems everytime my hubby (James) puts on the rebreathable mask at the onset, the pain seems to intensify.  Almost like the monster knows he coming after it.  

Anyone else experience this?

Sounds weird to me, but I told him I would ask.

IP Logged

Connie
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: Does CH know the O2 Mask?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10th, 2004, 8:38pm »

Do you mean the non-rebreather? The one with the baggy Wink Taht is the one he needs.

First a question? Is he strapping it on him or just holding it? If strapping around the head,,,It might be from pressure????

If not....no clue sorry

IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Sean_C

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 10th, 2004, 8:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Connie, open this link, hopefully it will answer some  of your questions Grin

Sean...............

http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm
IP Logged
Connie
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 10th, 2004, 8:45pm »

on Oct 10th, 2004, 8:38pm, E-Double wrote:
Do you mean the non-rebreather? The one with the baggy Wink Taht is the one he needs.

First a question? Is he strapping it on him or just holding it? If strapping around the head,,,It might be from pressure????

If not....no clue sorry

Yes he is using the non-breather with the baggy and he is strapping it on not holding it.  
Very Odd.
IP Logged

Connie
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 10th, 2004, 8:53pm »

on Oct 10th, 2004, 8:45pm, Connie wrote:

Yes he is using the non-breather with the baggy and he is strapping it on not holding it.  
Very Odd.

Maybe have him just hold it. This way the elastic is not pressing on the skull.

Hope both get relief

Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Connie
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 10th, 2004, 8:53pm »

Sean,
Thank you, I did check that link out but it really didn't give me an answer.  Maybe it's just him.  Oh, well at least the O2 works.

I hope this is not a repeat of Thursday, he has been pretty good the past 2 days only using the 02 1-3 times a day or night.

Tonight he has been using it every 15-20 minutes for the past hour.

Connie
IP Logged

Connie
Ueli

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 10th, 2004, 9:04pm »

Connie,

Maybe James takes to the O2 too late.

Generally, oxygen is most effective at the very start of an attack. When the attack has reached the peak oxygen is usually helpful too, but for many it is not very effective during the ramping up phase.

So tell James to stop playing the tough guy  Grin, and start with the oxygen at the first sign of a coming attack.

PFNADs, Ueli                 smokin

IP Logged
alleyoop
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake me up when it's all over.

alleyoop_49  

« Reply #7 on: Oct 10th, 2004, 10:13pm »

Hey Connie,

Ditto what Ueli said. Also, I can't speak for others but my HA's seem to ramp up when I first start with the o2 also. I don't know why but the same thing also happens when I poke myself with the imitrex. Right after doing it, the pain seems to ramp up until the trex or o2 has time to do it's thing. I always look at it as a precursor to the pain ending- "I feel it intensifying, so it can't be long now!"

.........................alley
IP Logged

I know that the Good Lord won't put any more on you than you can stand, but sometimes I wish He weren't quite so PROUD of ME!
Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Oct 11th, 2004, 7:04am »

Hi Connie,
Ueli may be right. Hit it EARLY  
But there may be something else here. When I feel the ineviatble coming on and I can't get some place private to deal with it the pain will get to a certain point and stop. As soon as I get ready to deal with it the pain seems to go into overdrive.
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #9 on: Oct 11th, 2004, 8:28am »

on Oct 10th, 2004, 10:13pm, alleyoop wrote:
Right after doing it, the pain seems to ramp up until the trex or o2 has time to do it's thing. I always look at it as a precursor to the pain ending- "I feel it intensifying, so it can't be long now!"

.........................alley

Exactly alley, I get something like that with the nasal trex.  I always think that is the last efforts of the beast to stay alive.  It fights before going down it seems, I know that is a sign it's struggling to persist.
Kevin M
IP Logged
K-9
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Oct 12th, 2004, 2:57am »

Hey connie, to answer your question, YES.  Anything touching my face at that stage is both painful and therefore irritating.  What everyone else here said though is same for me, the earlier, the better.  I know that sometimes that's just not possible.  Hope you both are doing as well as can be expected.  Smiley
IP Logged
rumplestiltskin

Email

on the upswing
« Reply #11 on: Oct 13th, 2004, 1:39am »

When the pain is ramping EVERYTHING irritates me and EVERYTHING makes it worse...actually nothing is making it worse...it's just getting worse...butt my reason and all my senses demand triggers and scapegoats...I have to fight my dumbass self to keep the mask on.

good grief
den
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #12 on: Oct 13th, 2004, 2:01am »

Yup.  I usually seem to get a spike after the first couple breaths of O2, but then it settles back down to just an incomprehensible pain.  Undecided

Tell James to get his arse on here and ask his own damned questions.  We want to meet him.   Grin

Keep up the good work, Connie.  You're a fine supporter.  James is a lucky man and you can tell him I said so.

Gator
IP Logged
cschick

Email

« Reply #13 on: Oct 14th, 2004, 7:26pm »

Well this was kind of interesting.  I just used oxygen last night for the first time - hubby called 911 and the firemen arrived first and had o2 - and the guy tried to put the mask around my head and I actually ripped at the elastic until it broke then just held the mask with my hand.  I couldn't stand the feeling of it around my head.  Probably all in my head but I didn't like it at all.  AND it got worse before it got better with the oxygen.  I was just breathing as deep as I could.  Such a wonderful feeling to get that relief.
IP Logged
Connie
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #14 on: Oct 16th, 2004, 10:54pm »

on Oct 13th, 2004, 2:01am, Gator wrote:
Yup.  I usually seem to get a spike after the first couple breaths of O2, but then it settles back down to just an incomprehensible pain.  Undecided

Tell James to get his arse on here and ask his own damned questions.  We want to meet him.   Grin

Gator

Maybe one day he will join in but for now I'll do his dirty work.  It makes me feel useful.  

Connie
IP Logged

Connie
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss