Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 9:39pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Does everyone Dance? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Does everyone Dance?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Does everyone Dance?  (Read 2180 times)
yikes-another-one
New Board Old Timer
USA 

dancenshout2002   joyflheart2004
Email

Re: Does everyone Dance?
« Reply #25 on: Oct 16th, 2004, 1:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Some of us SING too   Shocked

bet cha    don't need a lyric sheet to guess
 Cool

IP Logged

Psalm 23 - Goodness and mercy shall follow US all the days of our lives and WE will dwell in the house of LOVE forever.
kimh
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

What don't kill ya makes ya stronger

Email

« Reply #26 on: Oct 16th, 2004, 3:25pm »

I'd bet my last dime we all dance - in one form or another.  I call it COPING. Smiley
IP Logged
RandyB
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #27 on: Nov 9th, 2004, 4:50pm »

On more than a few occasions I layed on the floor and put the couch on my head. Prolly not the smartest thing but who's think at that point
IP Logged
Chillrmn1

Email

« Reply #28 on: Nov 9th, 2004, 7:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Yeah, we all have our own dance, some similar, some not so similar. What I find difficult, besides the pain of course, is when you get hit with people around such as at work and then have to explain what you just went thru. Mention CH to them and they have no idea what they are. The only good thing is you know it will end sooner or later, the bad thing is you know you'll have another soon. Vicious, Vicious Things These Are!
IP Logged
Sophie
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #29 on: Nov 9th, 2004, 8:55pm »

My dance routine was as soon as I awaken (almost one hour  exactly after going to bed) I would jump up---start running a sink ful of hot water----make a pot of strong coffee----apply any mentol product on my neck & shoulders. Then take a wash cloth and wipe neck and shoulder with hot water. Get my cup of coffee, hit the rocking chair, put the wash cloth over my face and hyper-vetalate into that. Take a peak at the clock--moan, cry, groan----and in about a hour I can drink the coffee and smoke a cig. I did this for 8 years---not knowing what was going on. Last year I found out they were CH. Then I learned about all the meds. and side effects. I just got done with a cycle 5 months. In the future I will do the old routine----I'm convinced the meds. prolong my cycle. That's just me. My Dr. laughed---and asked me if I ever heard of ice. Compassion!
Not dancing now----and hope you won't be soon. sophie
IP Logged

WHERE ARE WE GOING?
AND WHY AM I IN THIS HANDBASKET?

Cluster Buster
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #30 on: Nov 10th, 2004, 10:10am »

No dance here.  I sit in a chair, slightly bent forward.  Hold an ice pack on my eye/temple and move it to the back of my neck when my temple gets to sore to touch.  Never paced, banged, rocked or socked.  Did try lying down in the early years but didn't take long to figure out that it made things worse.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
sailpappy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

sail_pappy   sailpappy1
WWW Email

« Reply #31 on: Nov 10th, 2004, 10:52am »

Roll EyesBob,
     I guess I have my own unique way of dealing with this, but I have always found that cold water or Ice packs do the most to expadite the point of relief.
  I can't imagine drinking hot coffee, or using hot anything for this, I have stood in coolers at the 7/11 store, sat inside a special beer keg ice box that stays at 28 degrees, but not before soaking my head with cold water.  
 If my attacks get beyond the recognizing its starting before I get to the shower, well I might as well just get ready, they are always the same, right sided and I have found that thinking of none destructive things, not tensing up my fist and muscles, and remembering that it will end as sure as it started helps get through them.
     I do find myself standing on my tip toes while the pain is so bad but standing out side the shower running cold water over my head and neck seems to be the best way to cope for me!
     Miss ya Bro------Pappy
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #32 on: Nov 10th, 2004, 3:09pm »

In my case, it depends on the kip level! Smiley
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #33 on: Nov 10th, 2004, 4:12pm »

Quote:
Miss ya Bro------Pappy
Same here Pappy.  I'm glad to see back on the message board.  I was really afraid that we were going to loose you last year.
I swear I'm gonna cook your lemon/pepper chicken one of these days too.

Take care of yourself buddy.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #34 on: Nov 10th, 2004, 4:39pm »

I prefer doing my dance in private in a bathroom where I can put Xtremely hot rags on my eye while in the dark. I rock back and forth, cuss, sweat !!

Unsolved <--- Dances too much !!
IP Logged
Magick

Email

« Reply #35 on: Nov 10th, 2004, 6:59pm »

My “dance” depends on the kip level and my physical and emotional condition that night. Also how much sleep I’ve had. On a good night, (hade sleep, well fed and not overly stressed) I can take a kip 6-8 by just breathing o2 and taking the pain. Not ignoring it or hoping it goes away, but taking it. Pain is just another sensation like any other. We need our pain just like we need pleasure. It’s to be experienced like all experiences. On a night where I’m not doing so well, (no sleep, no food, stressed and wore down from shadows or lighter attacks) I pace, bang my head and rock. I also get very violent sometimes.
IP Logged
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #36 on: Nov 10th, 2004, 7:40pm »

Yeah, I dance and I pace and I bump into walls a lot and I once found that hanging my head under the shower and turning the water from hot to freezing cold then hot again was good.

Not being entirely in control, of course, I mis-estimated the temperature, scalded my scalp, and half my hair fell out.

Still, if there's someone there to watch it's worth a try.

AussieBrian.
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
Chillrmn1

Email

« Reply #37 on: Nov 11th, 2004, 10:39pm »

Hey Aussie,

Damn near did the same to myself. Cold don't work for me. Hot rags and hot showers beating on the right side of the back of my neck and head do. First time I tried the hot shower routine, many years ago, was more into the relief of the CH pain and didn't realize I was roasting my skin. Skalded myself and had to deal with that in addition to the CHs for the next few weeks.  

Almost stupidly humorous now looking back, other people without CHs whom might read these posts might think we're mostly kooks writing out of institution media centers. LOL!
« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2004, 5:53am by Chillrmn1 » IP Logged
fullhead
New Board Newbie
USA 

GET UP OFFA THAT THANG & DANCE TILL YOU FEEL BETTA

Moorepain  
Email

« Reply #38 on: Nov 12th, 2004, 6:46pm »

on Nov 11th, 2004, 10:39pm, Chillrmn1 wrote:

Almost stupidly humorous now looking back, other people without CHs whom might read these posts might think we're mostly kooks writing out of institution media centers. LOL!

If anyone were to peer in my windows while CH-ing, they'd think I'd gone plumb loco. My dance is a pacing back in forth, around in circles, sitting down on different pieces of furnature, going from room to room (trying to find the darkest- we don't have kids yet). When I reach "critical mass," I grab ahold of a closet rack and hang on... never touch the face or head though - too sensitive, can't imagine banging or pushing. When things get down to #4 or so wife has lightly stroked the temple area while singing softly (am I spoiled or what?).
Hot showers have helped some - yeah, 2am!

Thought I was the Wacko till I found this sight!
« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2004, 6:47pm by fullhead » IP Logged

Thought I was the only Wacko till I found yall!
angel-ache
New Board Newbie
USA 

heaven cries too

lalanlalaland1977  
WWW Email

« Reply #39 on: Nov 13th, 2004, 1:09am »

fullhead you are singing my tune.  I act very similar when i dance.  I like to hang onto the arm of the couch, recliner, bathroom sink, etc. in a squating position and pull my weight up past my chin, then lean back, side to side, screaming, moaning, shaking, that is me dealing with my worst ache.  

Meanwhile, pacing, sitting, yelling, arrgghhhing, so on, kneading the hands, yes hands very important.  Rocking, love that move.  

Most very critical part, NEVER touch the side of the face that is acheing!!  I will kill anything that tries and succeeds!!  I told a friend once "you are lucky that I was almost over my ache, because when you touch the top of my head and "friend" kissed it, I felt the pins and needles shooting into my scalp, then echoing into my temple, edge of nose, ear, and then jaw.  I thought I just had caught fire...please don't ever touch my head again, I will kill you and your first born."

I am a good person,
Angela
IP Logged

"We gather strength from sadness and from pain. Each time we die we learn to live again." Unknown Author
K-9
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #40 on: Nov 13th, 2004, 2:46am »

I would agree with Magik regarding the difference depending on mental state at the time.  Also with Unsolved, I'm a bathroom guy, reason is the height of the toilet with the lid down, sit with feet on floor and rock.  Also cuz it's stable (course you can loosen a toilet over time like this) but if I am forced to use a chair that rocks, swivels, rolls or moves or is too soft, I could kill, it's got to be solid so when I rock, nothing gives.  I used to hold my head in two ways and just recently I've been trying to keep both hands resting or gripping my thighs.  My dance "menu" consists of Pepsi, toilet paper, and cigs, caffeine for the obvious, the paper for blowing to TRY to clear but usually doesn't work till nearing the end, and the aftermath cig when finished during the "what the fuck just hit me phase".  I think my dance has evolved over the course of 11 years of being chronic.  Did I mention I always hated dancing?  Fuck this bastard...
IP Logged
Ruth
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #41 on: Nov 14th, 2004, 10:13am »

I agree, we all dance, at one stage or another, what amazes me is that so many of us rock back and forth, I find my favorite rocking chair and apply pressure to the T. nerve. I have banged my head, then I am not dancing, I think I am dying.
Ruth
IP Logged
survivor13
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

thunderstruck
Email

« Reply #42 on: Nov 14th, 2004, 8:17pm »

it's possible that u might not have yet expierenced to top of the pain scale. i'm like you at level6-8, after that anything or behavior is possible.
IP Logged
Major_Headcase
New Board Veteran

« Reply #43 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 4:38pm »

Great thread! I've always wondered if I was "lucky" cuz I didn't literally bang my head during an attack ... this last week I've had kip5-6 CH attacks and I have to agree with others ... the higher the pain the more "animated" I get. At kip5-6 I mostly lie on the bed, rocking a bit, and running an ice pack over my left eye/forehead/ear/neck ... if I leave the ice pack in one spot it makes it worse - if I continually move it around (I leave it in one place about 5-15 seconds) it seems to help ... "seems to help" may likely be the small placebo effect I get from having "something/anything" to do besides lay there and take it. Keeps my brain occupied with something besides the pain and gives me the illusion that I'm actually doing something to help.  Roll Eyes

I wonder too if our different CH dances have to do with how we grew up and were taught about enduring pain. Me, I was a runt as a kid and got picked on quite a bit ... my parents, both pacifists by nature, encouraged me not fight back when I got bullied; "They only pick on you because they know they'll get a big reaction out from you, just ignore them and 'don't show you're hurt' and they'll quit after awhile." So when I'm in pain, I tend to want to get all stoic and stay still (maybe the bully/beast will get bored and go away, hah!) ... at least or until I hit a kip8 or higher, then it's the other extreme. Swearing, pacing, door slamming ... anything to let it out (and maybe to be sure others know I'm hurting???). Hmmm ...

So this thread has been good for me to read, my pain is not less because I dance/headbang less than others ... it's just the way I'm wired to cope with pain in all its many forms and flavors. So Becky8, however you want to "dance" is fine and normal.  PFDAN2U

-John
IP Logged
Testy1
New Board Junior
Saudi_Arabia 

Email

Becky8
« Reply #44 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 4:00am »

Well, I don't actually dance, I suspect it looks more like some kind of seizure! Smiley
When I get woke up by the beast I chew a couple of cafergot. They taste like a baboon's back-end but chewing them seems to make them work faster. (Or so I keep telling myself!) I then hit the shower with water as hot as I can stand and then gradually reduce the temperature until it is as cold as it will get. I then get out of the shower without drying off and march around for a while until the beast goes away. Riyadh is hot, but very dry and the evaporation gets me freezing cold. I stand under the AC vents and let them blow on me for as long as I can stand still. I have a theory that being cold helps the headache go away sooner but I couldn't prove it.
I massage my head VERY gently and that sometimes seems to help toward the end of a headache.
I moan and groan and curse venomously and creatively while I'm doing all the rest of this. It doesn't make the headache leave any sooner but at least I'm letting it know what I think of things.

Hope this helps.

Jack
IP Logged
Testy1
New Board Junior
Saudi_Arabia 

Email

Major_headcase
« Reply #45 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 4:06am »

I'm a bit like you in that I (usually) don't bang my head either. When I'm at the peak of my cycle and right at the top of the scale I might, but the walls here are cement and I've had a couple of ugly bruises once or twice. Angry
I think the thing that helps me most is telling myself "it's just pain. You're not going to die from this and it WILL end."  

Regards

Jack
IP Logged
Mac_Muz
New Board Old Timer
USA 

new hampster "eat seeds or die"

Email

« Reply #46 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 11:37am »

Thomas said it, Redd does it, and so do I.. "It ain't pretty"  Mac
ps: johnny about that thong.....
IP Logged

When all else fails read the instructions.
don

Email

« Reply #47 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 2:22pm »

Once while visiting Santa Domingo I danced the merengue.

I was deported the following morning.

IP Logged
tpitts77
New Board Junior
USA 

Solutions are not the answers!!

Email

« Reply #48 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 3:35pm »

The weirdest thing I have ever done was fill a bucket with ice and water.  I sat outside dunking my head in it.  All I was wearing was shorts and sneakers and there was snow on the ground.  Between dunks I would snort real hard and twist my neck.   My neighbors must think I'm a lunatic.
IP Logged
medic1852
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

This will only hurt for a little while!

medic1852  
Email

« Reply #49 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 5:34pm »

Lets see.. I start out saying oooohhhh shit not again... then we go to a dark room sit and pray that it does not get any worse...then the eye starts to redden..eyelid drops and light is a very bad thing...then i start to do the tango....(pacing back and forth) holding my head back and breathing deeply through my nose...lighting a smoke knowing it wont help but i need something to comfort me...then i start sweating and i feel pale and who ever sees me thinks that i am about to die...I wrap my arm up around my head holding on to the back and my forearm pressing the side...rocking my upper body back and forth....is someone breaths or looks at me i tell them to just shut the f_ _k up!..God has not answered my prayers so now he is the brunt of my anger and i am cursing him and in the same breath begging him to make it stop...then i get nauseated and the motility of my intestine increases and i get diarhea...soon (never soon enough) the pain starts to ease...i get cold and then i lay down exhausted and drift off to sleep the alram clock wont wake me...believe it or not the best sleep of my life....That in a nut shell is my dance!
IP Logged

Shoot Low Sherrif He's Riding a Sheltland Pony!

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss