Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 11:49pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Imitrex, good for you, bad for me! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Imitrex, good for you, bad for me!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Imitrex, good for you, bad for me!  (Read 421 times)
cwp2002
New Board Newbie
USA 

Take the bag off your head!

cwperry2002  

Imitrex, good for you, bad for me!
« on: Oct 20th, 2004, 6:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Had my first Imitrex injection last night.  I started to sweat, then my heart started to race. My chest started to tighten, and I had this real funny tingly feeling in and around my ears.  Huh My headache stopped after about 20 min but theses symptoms persisted for about 45 min.  And here is the hell of it, The devil woke me up in the middle of the night Pissed off and hotter than the hinges to the gates of hell. I called the doc and he said stop taking it. try maxalt.  I was more than a little disapointed because I was really excited about being able to abort the HA.  I didn't have the O2 yet but they delivered it today. I guess I'll try the maxalt... Has anyone had this happen? how about Maxalt.?  by the way, 50 bucks a shot was worth it to spend some time with a little hope.
IP Logged

Son! Take the bag off of your head and the spoons out of your shoes!
marcus
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Imitrex, good for you, bad for me!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20th, 2004, 6:28pm »

I was given imitrex a while back and it didn't do nothing for me but make me have an anxciety attack.  I hate that stuff, I'll never take it again, didn't do nothing for my headaches and pain.

In His Love,
Marcus
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2004, 6:29pm by marcus » IP Logged
Jonny

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 20th, 2004, 6:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

First time I took trex I got a hot tingly feeling in my face, the more I took it the less I had that feeling.....But, the more I took it the more HA's I got.

Get on the 02 as soon as you feel the slightest twinge.....Thats the key with 02

.....................................jonny
IP Logged
cwp2002
New Board Newbie
USA 

cwperry2002  

« Reply #3 on: Oct 20th, 2004, 7:00pm »

Jonny,...........

what do you use to abort besides o2?  

Oh By the way, The doc said something a little strange: He said that Clusters if untreated could cause an anyerism ( spelling, I know)  Scary thought HUH?
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2004, 7:31pm by cwp2002 » IP Logged

lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #4 on: Oct 20th, 2004, 10:02pm »

you know not to mix triptans within 24 hrs of each other, right?
IP Logged
Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 7:20am »

I've never heard of a CH causing any ism other than pain and desperation. Possible? maybe, but unlikely.  
Any of the triptans may cause more ha's
     02 is great, trying to stay realxed during a hit works for me. Its real hard to accomplish sometimes but slow,deep breathing from the dyaphram and concentraing on staying relaxed works for me. It seems that the more out of control I get the longer the hit lasts. I drink lots of cold water during a hit and breath, breath. It doesn't stop the pain but i does lessen it and shorten the hit.
IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #6 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 8:23am »

Sounds a bit like my first imigran inj. I had been getting my mind around to trying it our for a long time and was quite anxious because of all the possible side effects noted on the leaflet. I also felt wierd. But.... the nexy time was ok and every time after was ok. Id it didn't kill you the first time it is probably ok. Just make sure you or your doc are not just over-reacting. It did abort your headache so maybe give it anmother try?

My experience with Maxalt was useless. I tried it several times and it did nothing. The last time I took it right at the start of the CH and the pain just ramped up until I was in agony an hour later. I then got out the inj in desperation and 10 mins later was feeling great again.

John
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #7 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 8:24am »

Sounds a bit like my first imigran inj. I had been getting my mind around to trying it our for a long time and was quite anxious because of all the possible side effects noted on the leaflet. I also felt wierd. But.... the next time was ok and every time after was ok. If it didn't kill you the first time it is probably ok. Just make sure you or your doc are not just over-reacting. It did abort your headache so maybe give it another try?

My experience with Maxalt was useless. I tried it several times and it did nothing. The last time I took it right at the start of the CH and the pain just ramped up until I was in agony an hour later. I then got out the inj in desperation and 10 mins later was feeling great again.

John
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
cwp2002
New Board Newbie
USA 

cwperry2002  

« Reply #8 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 9:19am »

Nobody said a thing about not mixing triptans in 24 HRS.  Thanks doc!   I think maybe I will try the Imitrex again. But hell  it wasn't long after and the HA came back with a vengance.  Last night THe O2 and Maxalt Just pushed My HA off Untill This Morn. I had to have my wife drive me in to work while I was busy trashing my eyeball.  At least this time it wasn't back and angry like the night before. Although this is the First A.M cluster I have ever had.  ( way to start the day, at least I don't look to stupid pounding coffee, cup after cup in the A.M.)
IP Logged

cwp2002
New Board Newbie
USA 

cwperry2002  

« Reply #9 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 9:44am »

called the doc, He doubled the dose of verapamil and put me on depacote? What is that?
IP Logged

vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 10:06am »

Depakote is an antiseizure medication (Epilepsy?)
Divalproex Sodium.
http://depakote.com/dephome/dephome.htm
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
dafreeman
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 10:26am »

Had my first Imitrex shot last night and unfortunately (or fortunately – however you want to look at it) had my second one this morning at work. Both times the HA was completely aborted!  Cheesy I do feel more side effects with the shot vs. the nasal but (for me anyway) it's well worth it. I get tingly arms and feel hot but it goes away after 5 - 10 minutes (along with the dagger through the head). I also found out that I'm covered for O2  sayyes! So, I'm going to the Dr. today to get the ball rolling on that.
IP Logged
cwp2002
New Board Newbie
USA 

cwperry2002  

« Reply #12 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 1:10pm »

congrats on that freeman,  
My first bottle was covered by ins but same thing the O2 and maxalt moved my HA to the AM. Called the doc asked about a portable O2.? He said cool go for it called INs they say No way!  SO I have a call into the local O2 dealer and the fire dept. to see if I can pull a few strings. we shall see!
IP Logged

dafreeman
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #13 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 2:06pm »

Good luck getting the portable. I just hope the process of getting the home O2 goes smooth for me now....I'm really looking forward to giving it a try.
IP Logged
cwp2002
New Board Newbie
USA 

cwperry2002  

« Reply #14 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 4:37pm »

Yeahm, O2 is Schweeeeet,. Grin
IP Logged

don

Email

« Reply #15 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 5:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
He said that Clusters if untreated could cause an anyerism

He should share that little insight with the rest of the world.

Through all the Docs I've used, good and bad, not one has mentioned that.

Of all the sufferers I've known over the years not one has developed an anyerism.
IP Logged
cwp2002
New Board Newbie
USA 

cwperry2002  

« Reply #16 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 6:41pm »

You know that little tidbit of info scared the hell out of me.  I am not defending him but I could see that happening, Because I do some really stupid stuff during a HA, not to mention my Heart rate goes up, I don't breath, I Hold my breath and push, All kinds of crazy stuff I know I shouldn't do. But Hey what do I know. Doctor Muskrat (As I call him) Has Had a grand total of 7 Ch patients in 10 years in two offices.   He has a ton Of experince!
IP Logged

kcorrigan
New Board Newbie
USA 

Do, or Do Not... There is no Try          ~ Yoda

katies_passion   katiespassion
WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 7:07pm »

Same here. My DR (family doctor for 16 years) said that I am only the 3rd person he's ever treated with CH. I love him to pieces, though. He's one of those amazing DR's that lets me tell him what's wrong with me and what I'd like to try to do to treat it, esp. with my HAs. He's at a lost and just learning as we go. Needless to say, I had him refer me to a neuro at the Cleveland Clinic for a 2nd opinion.
IP Logged

Katie Corrigan

Passion Parties by Katie
I love my job! You can too
www.katiespassion.com
888-420-1501
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss