Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 7:38pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Allergies? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Allergies?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Allergies?  (Read 437 times)
kcorrigan
New Board Newbie
USA 

Do, or Do Not... There is no Try          ~ Yoda

katies_passion   katiespassion
WWW Email

Allergies?
« on: Oct 22nd, 2004, 11:25am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Here's a quick question. Since these things tend to be seasonal for many of us (mine are spring and fall), and histamines are a known factor, can they indeed be brought on by allergens in the air?

My mom is a big allergy freak and is convince. I, however, am not.

This past spring I swear that I held them off with a combo of Clarinex and Flonase. But was saddened when it had no affect on this current cycle. I've also read where anti-histamines may help but again there is no pattern to that either.

On a more positive note: I've passed the time mark today when I usually get an attack. I've had some minor twinges, but no full-blown pain. Perhaps my new treatment is actually working...

IP Logged

Katie Corrigan

Passion Parties by Katie
I love my job! You can too
www.katiespassion.com
888-420-1501
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

Re: Allergies?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22nd, 2004, 11:29am »

I don't believe allergies cause them, but I AM convinced that they aggravate the condition.
my $.02
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #2 on: Oct 22nd, 2004, 11:55am »

Allergies are probably a trigger. My own experience: Had allergies all my life until I had brain surgery in 1999. Went allergy free until August, then started getting them again. Triggered the worst CH cycle I've had since 1973. Cry  I've been chronic for years, with occasional episodes, this one has been an ass kicker... doesn't seem to be over yet.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
floridian

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 1:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I agree with Vig and Nani - allergies are not the primary cause, but probably can make it worse or trigger.  If you have allergies, it makes sense to deal with them for its own sake - if it helps with clusters, great, if not - atleast you can breath.  

Flonase is a steroid nasal spray - wouldn't be suprised to find that it helps with allergies and clusters, maybe through 2 mechanisms, maybe just because it is a powerful anti-inflammatory for that region of the body.
« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2004, 1:11pm by floridian » IP Logged
Tom K
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wait 5 days, but I'm angry now...

Paintba11z

« Reply #4 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 7:23pm »

No allergies, here.  Taking a Claretin everyday did nothing for my CH.  It's a hypothalamus thing, not a nose thing....

T
IP Logged

"America, you're so fine, you're so fine, you blow my mind. America, America."-Bart Simpson
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #5 on: Oct 26th, 2004, 5:08am »

Hmm... I am quite allergy-free. I'm just lactose intolerant and once I had hayfever, but just once.
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Renee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

May we all find some pf time!  Is it summer yet?

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 26th, 2004, 6:46am »

I take/use flonase and clarinex.  Sure helps with the allergies but doesn't do anything in preventing my ch.  I also use advair.

Still, one of my biggest triggers is perfumes, candles, fresh cut flowers, clothing stores, eucalyptus, the aisle with all the rose dust and bug killer stuff on it, etc etc
IP Logged

23 years of battling the beast, 9 years chronic......uneducated docs/nurses make me irate.
The fungus among us is for real!

Kitzer
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Oct 31st, 2004, 1:03am »

I agree with the majority that the allergies are just a trigger. I've had seasonal allergies all my life and my clusters tend to to come during allergy season. But, on the other hand I have clusters in the dead of winter when allergies aren't active.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss