Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 8:59pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « When to start abortive treatment??? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   When to start abortive treatment???
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: When to start abortive treatment???  (Read 575 times)
elheilig
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

When to start abortive treatment???
« on: Nov 16th, 2004, 12:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have recently been dx with CH (after years of unsuccessful treatment of "sinsus disease"; 2 surgeries). My headaches are always preceded by flushing and buring of my checks (L>R) and nasal congestion on the headache side (always left). Everyday between 11AM-3 PM Is this the time to use an abortive treamtent or should I wait until I fell headache pain?
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

Re: When to start abortive treatment???
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 12:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

You should wait until you feel pain before taking any abortive medications ... otherwise you could be wasting your meds.

Unsolved
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 2:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Wait for the pain, otherwise just what is it you are trying to abort? If you are episodic you will be dealing with the symptoms (shadows) almost around the clock. Dont use abortives for symtoms, use them for the actual pain.
IP Logged
Mac_Muz
New Board Old Timer
USA 

new hampster "eat seeds or die"

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 3:37pm »

It has been a long time since I posted here.  
If you try O2 and that works for you then I would say at the very first signs you get to that O2 and begin doing the breathing.

O2 won't harm you, and then you might save what ever meds you have better. O2 so long as it works for a person is probably the best way to abort. Tye longer you wait to abort with O2 the longer it takes to work, and the more you suffer.

I can see no reason why anyone would not want to try O2. It has no after effects and with in reason will not harm you, so is about as safe as it gets.  Mac
IP Logged

When all else fails read the instructions.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 7:39am »

Most folks quickly learning their personal symptoms and so can tell when a certain set of symptoms means a cluster is coming. While I can understand why folks using Imitrex don't want to "waste" it, given the cost, I'll have to disagree about the timing advice.

Abortives work most effectively if you can get them into your body before the cluster has fully developed.  

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Mac_Muz
New Board Old Timer
USA 

new hampster "eat seeds or die"

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 8:01am »

Bob,  
I agree with that! First thing I get is a little sting in my right nostril. Thats when I mess around with tea's and other things I wonder "IF" about. This little sting hardly matters, and is a sign of whats coming soon....

Shortly that sting will run across my right cheek, and my nose begins to run clear mucus. And that is when I head for O2.

By doing that I can just about totally avoid suffering altogether, and that demon is beaten back to where it came from; granted I might rather being doing something else during the time it takes to breath in 35 breaths, but then when you compare the 1.5 hours of hell to the 45 minutes breathing somehow seems far better.

I owe Johnny here big time for the info and the how to and a few others that made a very big difference to me. I name Johnny because I can. Pirate's are afraid of nuthin Wink

My problems really begin when I am not home if the attacks occur. I really can't lug around a 5 foot tall steel bottle of welding O2 all that easy. And then I wait a bit longer as I have no choice but to abort with Imitrex.

Probably I am a very odd duck if you compare me to most other's no matter how you compare. Using Imitrex depresses me, and I feel like the demon won that battle whether or not I suffered much.

Mac
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2004, 8:02am by Mac_Muz » IP Logged

When all else fails read the instructions.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss