Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 10:50pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Narcs, do they woork? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Narcs, do they woork?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Narcs, do they woork?  (Read 1972 times)
tpitts77
New Board Junior
USA 

Solutions are not the answers!!

Email

Narcs, do they woork?
« on: Nov 16th, 2004, 1:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Has anyone had any luck using any Narcs ( Percocet, Oxycodone, etc) in an abortive therapy?  I tryed Percocet before I was properly diagnosed and it didn't help the CH at all.  I always do a taper of prednisone when I start to go into a cluster and it almost always stops it.  But my doctor has been worrying about the amount of Prednisone I have taken and the side effects of use.  He offered me Narcs last time they got bad, but I asked him to just stick to the Prednisone.  I have done some research on the side effects of Prednisone and am starting to worry a bit also.  Would it be worth stopping what works and going on a Narc or should I stcik with the Prednisone and its horrible long term side effects???

Just wondering if any has any advice???
IP Logged
tpitts77
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

Re: Narcs, do they woork?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 1:28pm »

Oh yeah, I am on Verapamil and Indocin for preventative.  Imitrex injections for abortive, until I have A couple bad days in a row.
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #2 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 2:22pm »

have you tried oxygen as an abortive? narcotics won't work. long term use of any steroid wreaks havoc on your body. any prednisone treatment should be done as a taper, taking less and less each day. talk to your dr about oxygen.  good luck and welcome.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
debco
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 2:26pm »

I tried Percocet, and if anything it prolonged a CH for way longer then usual, and made me feel yucky.  I feel bad enough during/after an attack that I don't want any narcs in my system. Last few nights I just started O2 and they seem to abort within 5-7 minutes. I am able to back to sleep right away. But did wake up on the hour with another one but used O2 again. Crazy stupid headaches!!! I hate them!!!
IP Logged
tpitts77
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 2:39pm »

I ahve tryed O2 it only aborts the CH, if I catch it early, and thenstill it only works about half the time.  Since I've been on the perventatives, the chs only get real bad a couple times a year (was chronic for 6 years), but when they do I'll have one ch every 2 hours almost to the minute.  The only thing I have found to stop them when they get like that is the Prednisone.  But like I said i'am looking for some other alternatives to suggest to my doctor.
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 2:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

The simple answer is........no.

Skip the narcs and try the medications that are proven effective for CH. Both abortives and preventatives.
IP Logged
tpitts77
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 2:49pm »

What are some abortive drugs/therapy, besides O2 and Imitrex, that has worked for you folks????
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 3:02pm »

I would start by checking that your Verapimil dosage is right, which it almost certainly isn't. If it is working it should stop the attacks, and you DEFINITELY wouldn't be getting them every two hours.

Can I be nosy?

How long are your attacks lasting on average?

What type of Verap are you taking and at what dose and how often?

Wendy

P.S. Indocin isn't a preventive, it also isn't something to be taking long term. If it is going to work, it works very quickly
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 3:31pm »

I haven't found a narcotic that will help me yet ... and I've tried LOTS !!

Unsolved
IP Logged
tpitts77
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 3:41pm »

Attacks last 30-40 min.

2-3 tabs of 240mg verapamil SA daily,  I start at 3 and go down to 2 when I am no longer in a cycle.

2-3 caps 75 mg indocin SR daily.  I start at 3 and go down to 2 when I am no longer in a cycle.

The verapamil by itself didnot work.

When on prednisone I do not take the indocin.

Imitrex and O2 to abort.

Two years ago I was chronic have 2-8 CHs daily, since on this regiment I have maybe 1 a week and a couple times a year I have the severe attacks every 2 hours.  That's when I use the prednisone.
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2004, 3:44pm by tpitts77 » IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 3:51pm »

That isn't the recommended regime for Verapimil. The most important thing is that you should have the Normal release NOT sustained or slow release form, and it should be taken in 80mg tablets at regular intervals throughout the day to hold the Verap levels up and steady. It is then increased every two weeks until the attacks stop, up to 960mgs a day, although I know quite a few people who take more than this quite safely with their neuro's approval.

I am about to email you the recommended Verap regime we use over here from our "guru"- the best in the world. It doesn't mention the type of Verap but it does detail the dosage and how it should be increased until prevention is achieved.

It sounds suspiciously like you may have moved from chronic to episodic, which would be great.
Have you ever tried coming off all the drugs between cycles, as Verap can often work better if you have a break from it. In any case it is recommended that all users take a "holiday" from it every few years.

Wendy
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 7:59pm »

Quote:
That isn't the recommended regime for Verapimil

Wendy, thats the dosage I use and it works fine.

Quote:
The most important thing is that you should have the Normal release NOT sustained or slow release form

That should make no differance at all. It takes 10-14 days to reach a theraptutic level. Once thats reached you should be able to sustain that level with either normal or sustained. I use sustained release with no problem.
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2004, 8:00pm by don » IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 10:14pm »

on Nov 16th, 2004, 3:51pm, pubgirl wrote:
. It is then increased every two weeks until the attacks stop,

Or you heart stops  Wink

PS. Wendy, your 'regime' would kill me

Unsolved
IP Logged
kissmyglass
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Don't Mix Triptans

Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 12:10am »

on Nov 16th, 2004, 3:51pm, pubgirl wrote:
it should be taken in 80mg tablets at regular intervals throughout the day

Wendy

HUH??
IP Logged

"It does so fucking look like her" - Picasso
[img][/img]
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #14 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 2:40am »

Unsolved

It isn't MY regime! (christ, surely you don't think I'm THAT arrogant) Only telling you what Goadsby and The London Institute of Neurology say. He and they have probably treated more Ch patients than most people in the world and the advice is that the slow release given in 240mg tablets is much less effective than the normal release given in 80mg doses at regular intervals. We have had countless sufferers who have said that Verap doesn't work for them, but when they change to this dosing and the Normal release, suddenly it does work.

Also it isn't dosed indefinitely (as you well know Unsolved Grin) ECG's are done at each two week increase to a theoretical maximum daily dose of 960mgs.

Don
I'm glad the dosing works for you, but it patently isn't for tpitts, hence the suggestion he tries this way of taking Verap. Truly, it can make all the difference if Verapimil doesn't seem to be working for someone.

Tpitts
I'm not saying this definitely WILL work, as Verap just doesn't for some people for some reason (and of course some people can't take it) but it may be worth trying to try and block these bad attacks you are having.
Also to stress, the ECG mentioned at each increase in the regime is really important to check that your heart is coping with the increases.

Wendy
IP Logged
Testy1
New Board Junior
Saudi_Arabia 

Email

tpitts77
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 3:41am »

I've never been prescribed narcs but have tried oxycodone and codiene. On the oxy, I took upwards of 70 mg as an abortant and it didn't seem to do anything at all for the pain. Codiene did much the same at around 250-300 mg dose.
Really, the only thing I noticed was that I was incredibly stoned and still in pain. Also, when marching through the house in the middle of the night, I kept bouncing off walls and door-frames.
I found the whole thing exceedingly unpleasant and wouldn't do it again. I'm a bit scared of narcs anyway, too many horror stories.

Best regards

Jack
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #16 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 5:31pm »

Pubgirl,
 Have you ever met Prof. Goadsby ? Me either. But I have met some of the top CH doctors in the US (Dr. Saper, Dr. Rozen, & Dr. Diamond) and they have me on VerapAmil E.R. 180mg twice daily.
That's about as much as I can do.

Plz, before you tell people what doses to take, ask them to see their doc first Wink

Unsolved
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #17 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 5:46pm »

Unsolved

I was assuming (and shouldn't assume) if people were going to get prescribed a different form of Verap they would be getting it from their doctor and talking about it. I forget that people in other countries sometimes just buy their drugs. I wasn't in a million years recommending people change their Verapimil dosage on their own, just that it may be worth discussing this way of doing it if the SR isn't working.

I'm not trying to say this is the ONLY way of taking Verap , but it is one which frequently works for people who had thought Verapimil wasn't working at all when they were taking the SR version in larger doses. I'm not speaking theoretically here either, we have had a lot of evidence from people calling our Helpline who had said Verap failed to prevent, but found it worked when they changed the way they were taking it.

Not sure why it is relevant whether I have met PG or not, but most active OUCH UK members have as he attends our annual meetings and is a wonderful and active supporter of OUCH. I know it sounds sycophantic, but he is a very busy man indeed, but always finds time for OUCH, and I am happy to shout about it as I think it is wonderful that he does this

W
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2004, 5:47pm by pubgirl » IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 6:19pm »

Left out a small part about side effects.  PG says:

"verapamil

Verapamil is the preventative drug of choice in both episodic and chronic CH. Clinical experience has demonstrated that higher doses than those used in cardiological indications are needed, so outpatient assessment and follow-up is appropriate. The dose is increased until the cluster attacks are suppressed, side-effects intervene or the maximum dose of 960mg daily is achieved."

At the Vancouver convention Dr. Robinson said that he had patients taking 1120-1200 mg in some cases.

On the original question, Goadsby says:

"Analgesics

Opiates, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and combination analgesics have no role in the acute management of CH."

I always get opiates from my doc but I save them for recreational use after the cluster is over Grin
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2004, 6:23pm by Bob P » IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #19 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 6:25pm »

While we are at it, shall I post the two pages of things you shouldn't eat, drink or take when using Verapimil! Grin

Wendy

IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #20 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 9:42pm »

Quote:
Have you ever met Prof. Goadsby ?

I have. Nice guy and I'll bet he'd be the first to tell you that nothing he nor anyone else says about CH is etched in stone except they hurt like hell.
IP Logged
Wendy1
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #21 on: Nov 18th, 2004, 10:15pm »

Verapamil (regular) 360mg (1 1/2 pill of 240mg) stopped my full-blown cycle dead in its tracks (after it got fully into my system).

NEVER, ever have I had this happen.  I have taken Verapamil in the past with no luck.  The key to Verapamil working is a high enough dose, which many docs are unfamiliar with and are also skeptical.  Unless you have really low blood pressure, it's fine.

My doc wanted to try SA, I told him, uh no... regular works just fine for me.
IP Logged
Wendy1
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #22 on: Nov 18th, 2004, 10:19pm »

Oh, and about the narcs...   I try to have Vicodin on hand(that is when the stingy docs will give you any) so that when I have a h/a I can take one and if the O2, etc. doesn't work, I know that within 1/2 hr to 45 mins, I WILL be getting some kind of pain relief.

WHY OR WHY can't these doctors understand what we are telling them?  They look at me like I'm stupid.

Well I shouldn't say that, my doctor is FINALLY after 23+ yrs beginning to listen to me... somewhat.

Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em..... Tongue
IP Logged
Versilleus
New Board Newbie
Canada 

WWW Email

« Reply #23 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 1:19am »

Narcotics are very controversial at best when it comes to treating cluster pain. Definately research the issue yourself. Find some independent sites that have links to long-term trial studies and the lastest information. Our knowledge of opiods for medical is not what it once was.  

Narcotics are useless for being both an abortive and preventitive. The 'ups and downs' of taking opioids tend to be a bit troubling because they do not stay at 'peak efficiency'  for long enough and tend to trail off turn too soon. eg Chronic pain sufferers will tell you Oxycontin die off around the 8 hour mark and can not & should not be taken before 12 hours(without a dr. monitoring the situation). So the possibility of physical withdrawal increases. Demerol is being strongly recommended not to be used for chronic pain. Why I am not completely sure of.   The added downside is by the time the opioid starts working to be effective, that particular may be over. The cluster won't be, usually. The Actiq(Fentynal) lollipop works quite faster that anything in pill form and one would think could be ideal for occassional use. Though I have never known anyone to use it personally.

With that being said if nothing else seems to be working for you, there is no reason for you to spend your life in pain. Some of us have chronic clusters which do not respond well to medications and impact our life in such a way we have no quality of life. Nothing is 100% effective, by itself or in combinations. Right now the best we can hope for is to make life enjoyable again.  I hope and beg there will be some day be a cure but right now no possibility. Don't forget most drugs that have the ability to alter brain chemistry need to be monitored to come off due to the physical and phsychological dependancy . eg steriods, anti-depressants, hypnotics, opioids and so on. The list is long..  

If you are experiencing no relief maybe ask your dr. about methadone or the Duragesic(Fentynal, lasts for 2-4 days). That way every attack will help with the 'quality of life' issue. That is why we are all here. To help each other get through this in the best way for each particular person.  

Versilleus
IP Logged
tpitts77
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #24 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 11:22am »

The only time I'm thinking about taking some Narcs, is when I am in an extreme cluster when I'm having 5 or more within 24 hours and the Imitrex and O2 are not working anymore.  Usually after about CH number 4 the Imitrex and O2 no longer work and I'm thinking it maybe nice to have some sort of pain relief until I can get my verapamil levels up.  Instead of taking all the prednisone to abort.    Comments?????

pubgirl-

I think my verapamil regime is working.  I went from 2-8 CHs daily to 2-3 CHs monthly.  2 or 3 times a year I have these bad days.  Thanks for the advice though.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss