Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 4:07am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Age Doesn't Matter »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Age Doesn't Matter
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Age Doesn't Matter  (Read 655 times)
the_old_man
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I've had amnesia for as long as I can remember!

Age Doesn't Matter
« on: Nov 16th, 2004, 8:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm new to this site and hate the thought of having to be here.  I've had the beast for 26 years, and went through much the same as most of you...the pain...the shame...the ridicule.  Mine were as regular as clockwork...bed at 11...first hit 2 hours later...k6 or better for 45 minutes and back to bed...only to get hit 2 hours later for another dance.  This would happen 3 times each night.  In 26 years I only got hit during the day about 10 times.  Finally, about 6 years ago I found a neuro that understood ch.  She put me on a pred taper and lithium.  Worked the first night and got me throught the cycle.  The lithium gave me the shakes, so 2 months later as the beast struck again, I got the pred taper and verap.  Worked the first night and got me through the cycle, but the verap made my heart race like a drum solo in a rock song.  Couldn't go the med route, so for the next three years, I just toughed it out...crawlin, fallin, bawlin...knowing it would end in 45 minutes...mostly k7 and k8.  Then they stopped.  I was told they usually stop when a person reaches mid to upper 50's.  Two months ago I turned 60.  Two weeks ago, the beast returned with a vengence.  I was going to tough it out and found this site.  Years ago a man from Australia told me to try 1.5mg of time released melatonin before going to bed.  It worked, but only for that cycle.  Never worked again.  I've been reading about melatonin here so thought I'd try it again.  Meds are still a problem for me because I have arhythmia and they do a number on me.  Three nights ago I tried 9mg of melatonin and had a pfn.  The next night  I did 9mg again and the beast struck twice...a k8 and a k4.  I decided to try a different dosage and dropped it to 6mg.  The beast hit 3 times that night..all k6or7.  What do I do tonight?  Should I up it to 12 or should I just say it doesn't work for me?

This is a great site and has given me great comfort.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Here's to everybody being pf.
The Old Man
IP Logged
K-9
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Age Doesn't Matter
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 8:48pm »

Hey old man, I'm really sorry you have to be here and that you're going through this.  I'm REALLY sorry you're doing it at your age.  I hope it ends for you soon.  As far as the melatonin I don't have much experience but Hopefully someone in here, maybe Thomas could have a better answer for you.  Just support from me, no answers, hang in there!!

Chuck
IP Logged
Chillrmn1

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 9:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm sorry you have to be here too old man. Sorry we all have CHs. But since we do, this is a great site for information and help. I just joined a short while back and have understood my treatment better because if this site. Has helped my Neuro treat me better from info gleaned from the site.

I have had the Beast for 27 years and am 47 years old. I have never heard what Old Man said about CHs going away in the mid to upper 50s. Is this true????

I hope it is, at least there may be some relief in sight!!

Hope you get PF soon old man!
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2004, 9:34pm by Chillrmn1 » IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 9:55pm »

Have you tried oxygen to abort?
IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 9:55pm »

Hi Old Man from an even older man  Wink

Since you can't take many of the usual meds, I recommend to have a look at oxygen. The only effect oxygen has is that it can stop an attack in 10 minutes, if starting it at the very first sign.  

Every thing worthwhile to know about it is written up at
http://www.headachesupportgroups.com/oxygen/oxygen.htm

PFNADs, old man Ueli                 smokin
IP Logged
Testy1
New Board Junior
Saudi_Arabia 

Email

old_man
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 6:23am »

I've got some experience with malatonin and frankly it didn't work for me. Much the same kind of experience as yours, it seemed to work once or twice and then never again. I keep wondering how much of the times it worked were some kind of weird placebo effect. Anyway, I don't mean to squash your enthusiasm but melatonin just didn't cut it.

Best regards

Jack
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 7:23am »

If your clusters are still regular after going to sleep you might try Ergomar about one-hour before bedtime. This old time med is still effective even if not the latest kid on th block.  

It's an Rx item and your drugstore may have to order it because it has a short expiration date.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 2:51pm »

Quote:
I have had the Beast for 27 years and am 47 years old. I have never heard what Old Man said about CHs going away in the mid to upper 50s. Is this true????
Sometimes.  Some people do "outgrow" them in middle age.  Some people in their 80's still get them.  Pray we're in the first bunch!
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
marlin
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 3:11pm »

If the arythmia prevents you from taking Imitrex I would recommend O2.

And I'm discouraged by your story.  My father got CHs and tells me they disappeared as magically as they appeared after 50.  I only had a few years to go until you destroyed all HOPE!!!

Just kidding.  I only held a shred of hope, although this last cycle was 2-1/2 years from my last one.  Not bad.

Really hope you find something that works.  Otherwise it's a real bitch battling and not knowing when the next one will strike.
IP Logged
EvertBoer
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 6:33pm »

I'm an old guy too (well not that old, 55 years), and I had a doctor tell me that sometimes they just disappear (but he said in your 40s). I've had the episodic clusters since the age of 19, so about 36 years.  When I hit my 40s, I did start having longer PF periods. I used to get them every year, but in my 40s, it would skip a couple of years. When I went 5 years, I though, "Wow, I'm cured...good riddance", but like you I had another episode that started out strong immediately (from none to multiples per day and night), and lasted 7 months. But it too passed (Lasted from July to February of this year), and I'm just assuming I'll have another PF 5 years (or even more, why not...we've all become optimists by necessity).  So for you younger episodics out there, the future is not all gray (heh heh).
IP Logged
the_old_man
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I've had amnesia for as long as I can remember!

« Reply #10 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 8:09pm »

Tried 12mg last night....had 3 episodes.  Oh well...  Just to show how we're all different, O2 just didn't work for me.  Don't know why.  It was supposed to be fool-proof.  Guess I'm just not enough of a fool.  Wink  Someone mentioned another RX...something like ergomax or something.  Is that by scrip only?  I see some of you concerned about whether or not your insurance will cover your meds.  In a way I'm fortunate that I can't take most meds.  I don't have insurance.  I don't mean to sound like I'm a really sad case.  Hey, I had almost 2 years without the beast.  That was great.  So he's back.  It's only for a visit.  He always seems to get tired of me and leaves again.  I can wait him out.  At least I get some breaks.  I feel for those of you who never get a break.  They'll be a break-through sooner or later.  They'll find out that the common thread in all of this is that we're all just a bit more intelligent than the rest.  So let's just drink to the days that we're pf and to hell with the rest.

The Old Man
IP Logged
sailpappy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

sail_pappy   sailpappy1
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 8:30pm »

Grin GrinI'm feeling bad enough about aging and they wait till you turn(Whatever age) and the will go away, well at 53 and having daily attacks for 35 years now, I'M WAITING!!!!   With Bells on!

Oxygen doesn't abort or shorten my attacks at all!
                                                              Pappy
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2004, 8:30pm by sailpappy » IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 8:42pm »

Hey there!
 What is this old man biz? So your 29 twice. You will find your not alone, being 29 that is. Sorry for the return of the beast. There are some other alternatives, search around. My neuro told me as well that they sometimes taper off after 50, but what does he know!! laugh laugh
All the best young man.
BB
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss