Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 11:40am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Prednisone and return of the beast »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Prednisone and return of the beast
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Prednisone and return of the beast  (Read 701 times)
NitroHunter
New Board Newbie
USA 

I'm goin' off the rails...

Prednisone and return of the beast
« on: Nov 16th, 2004, 10:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm not really new here, but rarely post.  Anyway, I've had CH for about 15 years now.  In the past 4 years my cycle has been July-September.  I take Verap and Trex and that usually gets me through the cycle. This year was no different.  September came and the beast seemed to take his normal time off.  Well, two weeks ago I got Strep-throat.  My doc gave me Amoxicillan, which I have always took.  Seems like now I'm allergic to it and I broke out in hives.  So the doc gives me a shot of Cortizone and Prednisone tablets to take care of the rash.  The same night I took the Prednisone I get slammed with a K9.  Broke out the Trex and it took about twice as long to work.(about 25 min)

I think I really pissed the beast off.  I've been hit 3 times a day with K7-9 since.  So I break out the Verap and Trex and I guess here we go again.  But this time the beast acts different.  No shadows, no warning just bang.  I'm just wondering if the Prednisone could have brought on another cycle?  It was only a 7 day pack and I only took 1 days worth.  Anyone think there is a connection, or did the beast just decide it was time to throw me for a loop?  For now I'll just take the Verap and keep the Trex cocked, locked, and ready to rock.  I just think this is weird that a single dose of Prednisone could bring on another cycle.  

Wishing everyone PFDN.
IP Logged
marcelonyc
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Prednisone and return of the beast
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 11:10pm »

My last episode the CH got to be pretty intense so my neuro prescribed Prednozone @ 60mg for 1 week to "shock" the system.  It worked while I was on it, but then a day or so later I got hit with more CH.  It was then that the dc prescribed more Prednozone for 2-3 weeks at 60 mg p/day. Again it stopped the pain while on the treatment, but as soon as it wore off, i was pummeled by the most vicious CH. It was the first time I experienced wanting to destroy something. So I took to slamming the door to my bedroom so hard that it broke the molding off parts of my wall.  Not to mention that Prednozone itself has so many nasty sideeffects. I now will not take Prednozone, but never say never...
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 7:32am »

The starting dose for Pred. ranges from 10mg to 100mg--and you can't predict what dose will be effective. Like so many treatments for clusters, having to do several trials to find what is effective for you is all too common.

BUT, while Pred. will abort a cycle rapidly, clusters will return after you get off. Your doc should be starting you on another preventive med, e.g., Verap., at the same time you start the Pred. (It takes several days to weeks Verap becomes effective and you may have to make dosage adjustments, in any case. The Pred. gives you time to make these adjustments.)
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 7:35am »

Verapamil Retard 120mgX5-7/daily during cycle  
Oxygene alone at 10ltm for at least 15 minutes on  a nonbreathermask or combined with imitrex-shots does miracles.The shots should start working in 6-9minutes.a few seconds after that you are almost painfree  
Prednisolone in high doze for 10 days 80mg  
then over a 3 weeks periode step down like 60-40-30-20-10-5mg every 3dh day
Tapering down the verap im on full dozage 7 days after my last hit,then over the next 5 weeks im down to 1/daily.
after 1 week on Verap retard 120mgX1 and still no hits i can quit that to

The very best from Svenn
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss