Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 3:25am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « clusters and depression (important). »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   clusters and depression (important).
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: clusters and depression (important).  (Read 802 times)
survivor13
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

thunderstruck
Email

clusters and depression (important).
« on: Nov 17th, 2004, 9:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

have shared alot of post this week, some funny, some serious and some general. but this is probally the most important. i'm sure those who have suffered long term like me, can easily relate. clusters will bring on depression. those of you who are new "clusterheads" are lucky in some since. you have this site available to you. in my first ten years there was no site (that i knew of), no one i knew had any idea of what c/h's. were. that's why i've shared so many post in the last week. people started shunning me, avoiding me and even made jokes. i got to where i wrapped my whole life around my dog, but he can't talk and that is what i wanted to do. even though we now have this site (thanks to dj) you will still go thru depression. when your depressed talking is very important. to anyone who needs to talk, my personal e-mail is on my profile.  send me a message and i will glady send u my phone #. i wish that no-one have to go thru cluster/depression alone. i'm sure their are many people on this site who feel the same. i'm six days cluster free, alive and otherwise healthy and happy. Smiley
IP Logged
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

Re: clusters and depression (important).
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 9:50pm »

Six days PF ....Yahoo!

So glad you found a comfortable place here. Thank you for sharing your experience and what a difference this place has made for you. I know a lot of us, myself included, feel the same way.

And now you're offering your support...that's wonderful!  

be well,
lionsound
IP Logged
MOMO3
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 10:04pm »

Survivor-
Congrats on being pain free.  

How wonderful you are to offer your support.  I know there are people out there that need it.  

Here's to more pain free days ahead!!   Smiley
IP Logged
Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's always darkest before the dawn.

tara_ann_77  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 18th, 2004, 12:49pm »

That's wonderful to hear you are PF.  I agree Depression is a big issue with CH (or any chronic pain or incurable disease I'd imagine) that's wonderful of you to offer your support.  Here's to many more PF days ahead for you.
IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/taraann77
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 18th, 2004, 12:58pm »

seems that a few things is forgotten here the way i see it:

Pain

Fear of getting hit

Depression

lack of sleep

the most infamous line in the world, "not now darling,i have a headache"   Grin Grin Grin Grin

Sorry could not resist to say nr 5

The very best from  

Svenn
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
survivor13
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

thunderstruck
Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 18th, 2004, 1:41pm »

been there done that! read my post at funnies and jokes (clusters while having sex) me and testy had fun tossing that one around. (WAS'NT FUNNY THEN THOUGH). JUST NOW STARTING TO DATE AGAIN. THAT WAS 5 OR 6 YEARS AGO.
IP Logged
Mac_Muz
New Board Old Timer
USA 

new hampster "eat seeds or die"

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 18th, 2004, 3:02pm »

survivor13, Take care what y wish for, I called Johnny once! LOL

Being serious, Hell yeah this Ch will kick yer ass's and create depressions.. it does me too... I also extend my e-mail and will hand over my number if anyone ever with in reach locally or mentally wants to chat with yet another demon... Thats me... I have one thing better than the beast... You can reach right out and give me one good wack in the chops.... and who wouldn't wanna do that to the beast!  Mac
IP Logged

When all else fails read the instructions.
toolong
New Board Veteran
USA 

Looking for an answer

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 18th, 2004, 6:39pm »

Don't know if CH cause depression or I have CH because I'm depressed.Keep close to those who mean the most to you,they will understand and help you thru the rough times. WinkDavid
IP Logged

Hey,watch this!I saw it on a cartoon and I think it might work!
thomas

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 18th, 2004, 9:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

One of the characteristics of ch is low serotonin levels.  Low serotonin levels can cause depression.  What we have here is a chicken and egg type situation.
IP Logged
Wendy1
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 18th, 2004, 9:55pm »

I think depression would be a normal symptom of a Clusterhead... for several reasons.  

I find myself unwilling to share my 'illness' with others because it's just to damn hard to explain the pain.  No one but a sufferer understands.  So we live this pain that we feel we cannot talk about.  Although (the pain, etc) is life altering.

We live in fear of the next attack that grips us and has control over our lives, and again, how do you explain this to someone.

I know that God (and DJ) made this site for us.  We would not have survived without it.

I love you all!!
IP Logged
Ruth
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 19th, 2004, 8:44am »

You are just so right on there.
I have taken antiderpessants for over 10 years now.
When I was younger I had no idea what depression was but when my cycle would start I noticed I would start to feel really down and very tired.
Back then I had no computer and Doctors who didn't have a clue.
So the years have gone by and progress has brought us to the age of computers and internet. Thank you God and Thank you God for people like DJ and all of those that are able to find this site.
We have found a home where people really understand our pain and we can share and offer our help.
I am so glad you found us survivor 13 and I too am here for anyone that needs a big helping of love.
Ruth
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 19th, 2004, 9:55am »

That we pay so little attention to depression & clusters always surprises me until I recall that depression is the most underdiagnosed and misdiagnosed of the emotional disorders. This is so for at least three major reasons: 1. We still bear the burden of major social stigma about and, therefore, fear of emotional issues; 2. About 50% of depressions are not recognized because a marked "sadness" is not experienced by the person; 3. And, over the last decade or so, we have seen the use of "chemical imbalance" dominate talk about depression to the point that some of the most valuable elements of understanding it  and finding a  "cure" are not on the table to become appreciated by the public.  

The reality is that most depression is not the automatic effect of serious illness or even of emotional/social trauma. (Recent research has show some exceptions to this statement but I'm trying to focus on the more "garden variety" depression which is so common in our society.) Some of the most important and valuable research into the nature and treatment of depression points to two majors factors: First, there is a chemical imbalance which can be modified by some of the wonderful antidepressants which are available; Second, it's clear that how we THINK about our problems has a direct effect on how we FEEL.  

The National Institute of Mental Health has repeatedly published research reports showing that the most helpful treatment for depression is a combination of medication and cognitive based therapy/counseling. Cognitive therapies, in its various forms, help the person recognize and alter their ways of thinking which feed the development and enduring nature of depression. (Some of the most exciting developments in the use of exotic brain imaging technology support this research. You can image changes in brain functioning due to depression, changes resulting from using antidepressants, and changes from use of "talking" therapies [used without medication)]. In fact, the use of antidepressants has changed as a result of these brain studies. Today, medication is continued for 18-24 months past the point where the depressive symptoms have lifted because the brain continues to go through changes which help to prevent relapses.  

As applied to us & our life with clusters: This research strongly suggests that that how we think about Clusters and how they affect our life, can have real impact on our coping skills and, ultimately, our vulnerability to developing depression.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Thomas_Martin
New Board Newbie
Denmark 

Yippie.My Head is blowing up.

« Reply #12 on: Nov 20th, 2004, 3:09pm »

on Nov 18th, 2004, 6:39pm, toolong wrote:
Don't know if CH cause depression or I have CH because I'm depressed.Keep close to those who mean the most to you,they will understand and help you thru the rough times. WinkDavid

I think I can relate to both of them. I think I'm getting shadows and Kip 7-8 because I'm depressed and I'm depressed because I get hit by the kips and shadows.  

It should be noted that I've had a depression because I had a relationship gone bad. Right about the time the depression hit so did the chronic CH. Right now I'm beginning to get out of the depression and the chronic CH seems to be going away.

Since I'm new to this board it should be noted that I was diagnosed with CH before I became depressed and therefore it isn't the cause but more like a trigger.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss