Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 12:00pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Headaches and Reading »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Headaches and Reading
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Headaches and Reading  (Read 1639 times)
jessipo
New Board Newbie
Noflag 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Headaches and Reading
« on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 1:56am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've found that since I started having the migraines and clusters (I often get both at the same time--it sucks!), I can't read books.  I can read online and I think it has something to do with looking straight ahead.  Also, I don't have to move my eyes from side to side which is extremely painful to me.  Does anyone else experience this?
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: Headaches and Reading
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 8:35am »

I can't do anything during a CH, except pace, rock and moan. My eyes are sensitive to movement after one though.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Ruth
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 9:39am »

Good morning,
I love to read, but do not read while in cycle. I also wear glasses and have to use them to read and they are uncomfortable to wear any longer than I have to maybe the pressure above the ears. Who knows, not me.

Ruth
IP Logged
jessipo
New Board Newbie
Noflag 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 11:40am »

Nani,

I know what you mean about the pacing, rocking and moaning.  I bang my head too, which I'm sure is not healthy, but the pain I get from banging my head kind of covers up the pain from the cluster.  I feel like I'm going insane when I have a cluster.  I also wanted to kill an ER doc once, because he was such a b*strd about meds.  You know, he didn't want to give me anything to give me relief?  I know the meds don't take away the cluster, but let me tell you that Dilauded does make it go away, even though I have to have a huge dose of it.  I've had morphine for it before and that didn't do a damn thing. *sigh*
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #4 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 11:45am »

I got 2 shots of morphine my last ER visit. (the dr said he knew it wouldn't help the CH, but he thought I'd at least get a little buzzed). NOTHING. No pain relief or buzz. Many of us have banged our heads. It's part of CH. Go to a neuro and in the meantime, if you end up back at the ER, ask for oxygen. It aborts for many of us. It' needs to be 100% oxygen with a non rebreather mask.
IP Logged

sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #5 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 11:47am »

I can't concentrade on reading when I have CH. I can read short articles, if I must, but books are a no no to me then.
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

jessipo
New Board Newbie
Noflag 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 11:59am »

Nani,

Morphine didn't work a damn for me either.  But, guess what?  I have a migraine cocktail that I request EVERY time.  It's dilauded (2-4mgs, depending on the level of pain, and most docs won't exceed that), tordal (one dose, but they *might*, operative word being *might*, give you a second if you're still in pain, and phenergan (25-50mgs, you want it to knock you out).  

Tell the nurse that you're allergic to morphine, codeine and demoral, so they'll give it to you.  Dilauded is a drug that's 100 x as powerful as morphine, but doesn't have the same kind of rebound or addictive properties as morphine which is really great.  I've only had this cocktail not work all the way for me once.  

Here's what I say about the drugs that I'm *allergic* to.  Codeine made me have a seizure when I was a child (that's actually true); Demoral gives me horrible, scary hallucinations (that's true to); and Morphine makes me so irritable that I get really aggressive (and that's also true. If you tell the nurse this one they won't give it to you for purely selfish reasons--they don't like to have to deal with aggressive, angry patients, lol).  Hope that helps.

Unfortunately the O2 doesn't work on me at all.  I used to ask for that first, hoping, you know?  But it didn't work so after the first 3 times, I stopped asking for it.
IP Logged
writer
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Nov 24th, 2004, 6:54pm »

In my one trip to the emergency room through the years, a shot of Demerol delivered such nstantaneous, blessed relief that I've never forgotten it.  Q: have you asked for that?

Writer
IP Logged
Redneck

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 25th, 2004, 10:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

When my CH started in the early 80's, I read every afternoon. It seemed that reading triggered the headaches. I even asked if i needed new glasses. I still love to read, but it doesn't seem to trigger as bad as then. I didn't understand it then, and I still don't now.

Anyway in answer to your question, I have and I still do sometimes.
IP Logged
Apple
New Board Newbie

« Reply #9 on: Dec 4th, 2004, 10:39am »

I have something similar. I can not read books for long periods of time in a row. I can read for an hour in a book and  maybe revisit the book several hours later. If I read a book two hours in a row, I'll get a migraine. So, I'm down to two...maybe three hours a day (max) in intervals when it comes to book reading. I always have to be extremely careful when book reading. I once landed in the ER trying to read a great novel. Stupid!   I have to pace myself and plan. However, I can stay on the computer for about four hours in a row and get away with it.  I don't understand why there is such a big difference.
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2004, 10:41am by Apple » IP Logged

I don't have CH, I have horrible migraines. Doc says they have "cluster features." Can I still stay? Migraines suck. Can I say that?
jessipo
New Board Newbie
Noflag 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Dec 4th, 2004, 3:32pm »

Yeah, "DURING" a cluster, i can't do anything but pace, bang my head and rock.  But, I mean at other times.

Anyway, my husband recently read that there is a difference between reading online and reading in a book.  But they don't know why.  I wonder if it's because you're using different parts of the brain.  Or if it's the fact that you don't have to look down at the book, wheras online you're looking straight ahead.  Hmmm.  Hope they do more research on this.  It's interesting to know anyway....

Btw, thanks for all the responses.  Some of them were helpful and some of them comforting, but all were appreciated. Smiley

Having a cluster-free day.  Smiley

Jessipo
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 4th, 2004, 4:41pm »

Quote:
Tell the nurse that you're allergic to morphine, codeine and demoral, so they'll give it to you.

Drug seeking behavior.

Not something I would want Doctors and Nurses associating with cluster headache suffers.

Quote:
Here's what I say about the drugs that I'm *allergic* to.  Codeine made me have a seizure when I was a child (that's actually true); Demoral gives me horrible, scary hallucinations (that's true to); and Morphine makes me so irritable that I get really aggressive (and that's also true. If you tell the nurse this one they won't give it to you for purely selfish reasons--they don't like to have to deal with aggressive, angry patients, lol).

Got your story down pretty good.
IP Logged
jessipo
New Board Newbie
Noflag 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #12 on: Dec 6th, 2004, 3:10pm »

I think you may misunderstand me, Don.   I have been through this so much and have experienced so many of the drugs they gave me that I know what works for me.  Why should I have to go through every single ineffective drug, before they finally decide that they should try the dilauded.  By then I'm completely doped up, agitated, having hallucinations and then finally get relief?  I'm only saying that if there are drugs that are ineffective, let the doctor know what it is and why.  Those were *my* symptoms from the drugs that I was given.  Doesn't mean they were anyone else's and I guess that I didn't explain it that way and I should have.  My apologies.  But, if the drugs don't work for that person, she needs to make sure they try something else and I was suggesting a drug that really worked for me.

I have another suggestion now.  When I had to go to hospital last time, the doctor told me that there was a non-narco drug that he has seen work on clusters.  What a relief, right?!  So, I told him to please try it first, then if it didn't work we'd go with what does work.  It is called Inapsine.  NON-NARCOTIC!  Can you believe it?  And it gave such blessed relief within 10 min.  And the best part is that the next day I didn't feel all doped up and groggy like I do with the dilauded.  So, now I will request that.  But, I recently asked my doctor about it and she told me that alot of times the er's have to use what the hospital provides for them and that's all they have.  I didn't know this, but it's good information.

So, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.  I did not mean that particular thread for use by everyone who needs help.  Just those who've been through every drug in the book and have not found any relief yet.  

IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #13 on: Dec 6th, 2004, 3:15pm »

http://www.psyweb.com/Drughtm/droper.html
IP Logged

becky8

Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 6th, 2004, 3:22pm »

Jessipo,  
I have only been to the ER twice luckly, anyway the first time I went they game me tordol and I waited and cryed and waited for it to work, then the ER doctor said he couldn't believe it wasn't working so they added dilauded and phenergan and I was knocked out for 21 hours straight. When I FINALLY woke up I felt great!!! No rebounds or anything. But I am not about going to the ER........I am about NOT having to go to the ER. But you are right about those drugs working good (for me at least) probably didn't hurt I was starting to get crazy there from all the waiting!!! But again I like to stay home peacefully and PF!!!!(if i'm lucky!)
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 6th, 2004, 7:36pm »

Thank you Nani.

So far Jessipo I dont see where you have mentioned using any proven CH meds other than narcotics and pain relievers.
IP Logged
jessipo
New Board Newbie
Noflag 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #16 on: Dec 10th, 2004, 9:15pm »

Hi Don

At home I have Imitrex, maxalt, fioricet for rescue med.  For the clusters, sometimes the Imitrex will nip it in the bud. ( I also have chronic migraines from an accident I was in).  

I would love, love, love to hear about it if there are more.  Then I could bring it up to my doc.  Anything to keep me out of ER and out of having to get shots of the strong narcos would be fantastic!

Any suggestions?  I am eager and open to hearing about it.  Maybe my neuro isn't doing his job right or as well as he should be if there are other tx's out there that could help me at home.  Oh, keep in mind that the O2 did NOT work for me.  Nor did the drinking cold, cold water a bunch of times.  And I do watch my diet to avoid any trigger foods (ie preservatives, chocolate, yada, yada.  

Thanks a bunch.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss