Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 10:16am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Triggers »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Triggers
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Triggers  (Read 1099 times)
love2bamommy
New Board Newbie
USA 

The best thing in my life is my son!

Cassandra9988   Micalampfan

Triggers
« on: Nov 25th, 2004, 10:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

So today when i was minding my own buisness, having a wonderful time at my Friend Terri's, the most interesting thing happened. She started smoking, and within mins the beast showed up for thanksgiving. Luckly, i caught it before it got to the point of me having to rock side to side. I was also having breathing problems (i don't think the 2 are related, but who knows) Sadly that makes today's total so far 3. Shadows are driving me insane, becuase when i get one, then i can't seem to figure out if this is it! Oh well, Practice makes perfect right? Does anyone know if that is a trigger?
I hope all of you had a PF Thanksgiving. I am Thankful that i have all of you supporting me! Thanks again guys
Cassandra
« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2004, 10:24pm by love2bamommy » IP Logged

A wise woman once wrote "Keep smiling, if you smile, then everyone else around you will smile too" That was written by Debbi Sears, my mother
Redneck

Email

Re: Triggers
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25th, 2004, 10:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Practice don't make perfect. 22 years and I still wonder at each pain in my right temple if it's real or not. I just don't take anything for granted and treat each one as if it's the beginning of a headache.
 I smoke so that doesnt trigger me. perfume, colonge, paint, glue, and assorted other odors kick my butt.  
Good luck Cassandra, sorry the beast found you. Hugs
PF and hope your tukey day ended well.
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #2 on: Nov 26th, 2004, 1:12am »

Smoking has been a trigger for some...I smoke more during an attack... Undecided  I guess if the CH won't kill me maybe the cig will give me a heart attack...
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 26th, 2004, 12:41pm »

I find it weird that I smoke, but during an episode I cant stand the smell and quit. Usually smoking less than one or two a day. Once the bastard demon leaves I'm right back to half a pack a day. Wink
BB
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
becky8

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 26th, 2004, 2:36pm »

Smoke makes me crazy!!!! yes triggers me BIG TIME!!! guess thats the only good thing about CH, can't smoke or be around it
IP Logged
survivor13
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

thunderstruck
Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 27th, 2004, 6:32am »

smoking during a shadow will cause a full attack for me, during an attack the pain will intensify. but strangely the first thing i want after a big hit is gone, is a smoke. kinda like sex.
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 27th, 2004, 9:34am »

I can't smoke during an attack.
I can't eat during an attack.
I can't drink during an attack.
I can't sleep during an attack.
I can't do anything during an attack.

I can't, I can't, I can't

Unsolved
IP Logged
IndianaJohn
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Into the jaws of the Beast we ride!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 27th, 2004, 6:13pm »

I smoke like a fiend when I'm getting hit.  It usually helps me.  Nicotine is a known vascular constrictor so in combination with some caffiene, I can get through a moderate hit without taking meds.

fwiw,

John
IP Logged

Did my brains fall out or is this headache over?
Renee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

May we all find some pf time!  Is it summer yet?

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 29th, 2004, 8:13am »

Cigarette smoke is only a trigger for me if it is a menthol cigarette.  Other triggers are barometric pressure changes, perfumes, cologne, eucalyptus, fresh cut flowers, paint, glue, gasoline/diesel and ammonia.
IP Logged

23 years of battling the beast, 9 years chronic......uneducated docs/nurses make me irate.
The fungus among us is for real!

floridian

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 30th, 2004, 3:56pm »

on Nov 25th, 2004, 10:10pm, love2bamommy wrote:
I was also having breathing problems (i don't think the 2 are related, but who knows) Cassandra

Oxygen aborts cluster headaches.  Maybe as many 80% of clusterheads have sleep apnea, which can trigger.  Lack of oxygen or breathing problems may not be "The Cause" but if someone is on the edge, low O2 may push them over.  
IP Logged
toolong
New Board Veteran
USA 

Looking for an answer

WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 30th, 2004, 4:31pm »

Smoke is always a trigger for me and has been for years.I have a hunting cabin that we only heat with wood.The friggin' hardwood smoke triggers a CH in just a few minutes,same with cigarette smoke.Worse trigger of all is purfume,walked thru department store with wife on Sunday doing a little Christmas shopping and hit the section where they sell the stinky stuff...WHAM!Started with a ear ache then into a full blown CH,been fighting it since then.O2 is all I can use and been hitting it like crazy just trying to keep it under some control.Triggers are different for everybody but some seem to pop up almost all the time.Good luck.PF days ahead. WinkDavid
IP Logged

Hey,watch this!I saw it on a cartoon and I think it might work!
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #11 on: Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:42am »

I used to smoke.  Quit a couple years ago.  My better half still smokes, though.  Sometimes it bugs me - sometimes it don't.  Bright lights, more specifically (I think) the glare from bright lights, barometric pressure changes, heat - especially humid heat, televisions and computer monitors are my main triggers.

As far as shadows go, I can usually tell when it is going to be a bad hit.  It just feels different.  Then there are times that it will start to ramp up fast and just stop at about a 3 or 4 and sit and simmer for a couple hours.  The beast be a crafty devil.  Always keeps you off balance.

Gator
IP Logged
allan_r
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #12 on: Dec 2nd, 2004, 7:31am »

I'm not a Doctor , nor do I play one on TV,  just wondering though- once we get into a cycle, and we know that one of the symptoms is the dilation of an artery which supplies the blood to our eye and hence our nose -- is our recognition of these smoke and perfume odors or smells as "triggers" just a function of an increased or heightened awareness of the smell, and we are in a pre-headache stage when we notice them anyway.  In my case, prior to diagnosis, I would be bothered significantly by perfumes and irritated at times by perfumes, and those damn azaleas next door, and then would have the headaches at night.  But I would still have the headaches on time with or without noticing the perfume or the other noxious or offending smells.

in short- are these possible "triggers" merely possibly coincidental smells that we have noticed because we have heightened sense of smell prior to the onset of the headache due to the beginning of the dilation of the artery in our heads?  

I am not discounting anyone's causal relations they have found -- I am posting this as I have been examing my experience with possible triggers as well and have found no correlation between any "smell" type trigger for me, especially when outside of cycles those smells are less intense and not as noticeable.  

Did this make sense?

allan r
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss