Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 10:49am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Length of Episode vs Length of HA »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Length of Episode vs Length of HA
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Length of Episode vs Length of HA  (Read 574 times)
Sylvan
New Board Veteran
USA 

Length of Episode vs Length of HA
« on: Nov 29th, 2004, 10:11am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm still very new to this as this is my first ever episode (optimistic aren't I?)  

I was wondering if the frequency of attacks and the severity of the attacks has a pattern within the episode?  

For instance - these HA's started for me about 3 weeks ago. The first few were spaced about every other day and were very severe. (IMO 8-10 Kip) Then they came every night(still 8-10 Kip) the second week. The third week they were every 2-3 days and less severe (6-Cool

For the past 3 nights i have been waking up with the over the eye pain at about 6-8 - but it's been going away in just a few minutes - like 2-5.  

All of my HA's have been while sleeping (1:30 am for 90% of them) - just shadows during the day.  

Does this mean the cycle is wearing down and it might be over soon - or am i grasping at straws? And how many PF days would you all consider as the end of a cycle?  

EKG scheduled for 1:30 PM today (EST) and i have printed out jsut about everything i could find to help me convince my PCP to send me to a neuroligist and RX something that might actually help.  

Thanks,
Sylvan
« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2004, 10:12am by Sylvan » IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

Re: Length of Episode vs Length of HA
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29th, 2004, 1:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Epesodics usually do follow a pattern. After a couple of epesodes, you'll recognize a pattern, although the pattern could change at anytime.

My guess: 2 weeks of pain free - med free time means the end of a cycle. But the beast is highly unpredictable.

PF Wishes
Hope your cycle is ending

UNsolved
IP Logged
Sylvan
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Nov 29th, 2004, 10:34pm »

Wouldn't that be the rub? lol

I finally got the verapamil and the referal to a neuro today - and it's *possoble* that my clycle is ending?  

Could i get that lucky?  

Although i can't say i've been completely PF - just not very bad or very long lasting pain. The shadows are pretty much always there. I'm just grateful that the middle of the night things have been brief.  

Thanks!
Sylvan
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 30th, 2004, 1:24pm »

Sylvan

You say that these attacks are lasting 2-3 minutes. I can't make the history work and I have a brain like a sieve, how long do your normal attacks last?

Wendy
IP Logged
Sylvan
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Nov 30th, 2004, 3:26pm »

on Nov 30th, 2004, 1:24pm, pubgirl wrote:

You say that these attacks are lasting 2-3 minutes. I can't make the history work and I have a brain like a sieve, how long do your normal attacks last?

Hi Wendy:

I really don't know what *normal attacks* are for me just yet. I only started getting these out of the blue about 3-4 weeks ago. But the average length of HA's up until a few days ago was from 25-45 minutes. I had one or 2 that lasted almost an hour - and i've now had a couple that were more like quick jabs that subsided very quickly. I have not been without shadows except for 1 or 2 days for almost a month. Last night was the very first night i've slept through since this started.  

Sylvan
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 30th, 2004, 7:32pm »

Sylvan

Have they tried you on indomethacin yet?

Wendy
IP Logged
Sylvan
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Nov 30th, 2004, 8:24pm »

on Nov 30th, 2004, 7:32pm, pubgirl wrote:
Sylvan

Have they tried you on indomethacin yet?

Wendy

Wendy:

Isn't that an NSAID used for arthritis/bursitis?  

They just started me on verapamil yesterday.  This is the 3rd med we've tried - midrin and ultracet didn't do anything. And i had 3 hits the night i tried melatonin.  

I also finally got a neuro appt set up - for next thursday.  

I don't think we're gonna mess with any more different meds at least until then - unless things get worse. This week's been pretty good. Haven't had a major hit since Friday.  

Thanks,
Sylvan
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 30th, 2004, 9:27pm »

It's the NSAID used for all the unilateral shorter-lived headaches, and is usually used as a diagnostic rule out treatment for any headache sufferer who has shorter attacks as it is almost 100% effective for all of them.

Wendy
IP Logged
Sylvan
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Nov 30th, 2004, 9:34pm »

Thanks - i'll keep it in mind. Although all of the other NSAIDS had no effect. Not to mention - the side effects and warnings on it seem pretty daunting:

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/indometh_wcp.htm

We'll see what the neuro has to say.  

I suppose for now i'll just be grateful that they are not lasting longer than an hour.  

Sylvan
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss