Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 2:02am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « How many days? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   How many days?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How many days?  (Read 577 times)
becky8

Email

How many days?
« on: Dec 2nd, 2004, 9:49am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Now first I want to say I know noone knows for sure, That's a given!!! But having said that how many days before you can feel safe to say this COMBO OF MEDS is working for you? I know its probably different for everyone but tell me yours if you're one of the lucky ones!!! I want to see what the average is?
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

Re: How many days?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 2nd, 2004, 10:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm not sure there's even a real answer to this...
You just KNOW!!!
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
becky8

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 2nd, 2004, 10:18am »

Yea Paul,  
When I first went on the lithium, after about a week, I had 4 wonderful pain free days and that was the most in row I have had in a very very long time. So I thought wow this is working and then got hit super hard!!! I would think chronics anyway would know after a week, cause not many chronics have a week pain free???
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 2nd, 2004, 10:33am »

Even when something works very well, there can still be breakthrough headaches.  How did the overall pattern change?  Did they go away?  Or did the whole headache episode start up again?
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
becky8

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 2nd, 2004, 10:43am »

Trying to think, my head was stir-fryed for awhile there. Totally painfree and then it started again. My Dr. upped the lithium just yesterday so maybe this will help, who the hell knows? Can't give up hope though, thats when you start to lose it. Poor Eddie is dealing with that.
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #5 on: Dec 2nd, 2004, 1:21pm »

I think the information packets on most drugs I've tried say they take 2 - 4 weeks to reach full potency.  Some take 6 weeks or more.  Add to that the fact that each person reacts to meds differently and/or requires different dosages and it becomes anyone's ballgame.  Do some research and hang in there.

I took lithium up to 1200mg - did not work for me.

Gator
IP Logged
marlin
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Dec 2nd, 2004, 6:41pm »

Wholy chit gator.  1200mg lithium?  I was on that stuff once.  To begin with it didn't help but aside from that it made me feel like I belonged in a rubber room somewhere.  Made me nuts.
IP Logged
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 2nd, 2004, 6:52pm »

Hi Becky8,

I know this is gonna sound strange but, over the past 18 months of ramping up and down with verapamil... within 3 days I would know if it was working.  Maybe I have a very high metabolism  Huh (maybe why my friends could never get me shit-faced drunk).

Finally, after an 18 month cycle, I'm totally off verapamil (many failed taper attempts).  I still get some of the daily CH symptoms (excluding the full-blown pain... so I guess technically I'm getting the 'painless CH'? again).

Quote:
I know its probably different for everyone but tell me yours if you're one of the lucky ones!!!

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

--- Steve
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
Jonny

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 2nd, 2004, 7:30pm »

In the opinion of someone that has been taking Verap and Lithium everyday for close to 14 years......keep upping it until it works or your doc says thats enough.

I found my heaven (If you can really call it that) at 600 mgs Lith, 480 Verap a day.

Many people have lots of sides on these meds, I find practicaly none and much better than CH.

Talk with your doc before you up any med!

.......................................jonny
IP Logged
alleyoop
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake me up when it's all over.

alleyoop_49  

« Reply #9 on: Dec 2nd, 2004, 7:51pm »

on Dec 2nd, 2004, 9:49am, becky8 wrote:
tell me yours if you're one of the lucky ones!!!

36 out of the last 50 days have been PF. Not bad for a chronic. Clusterbusters rock!

......................alley Wink
IP Logged

I know that the Good Lord won't put any more on you than you can stand, but sometimes I wish He weren't quite so PROUD of ME!
jessipo
New Board Newbie
Noflag 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Dec 4th, 2004, 3:47pm »

Sometimes I think it depends on how sensitive you are to drugs.  For me, it takes several weeks to tell if it will work or not, but for my mom (and she takes different drugs for something else, but I'm using her as an example), she notices right away, I mean like within a day, if a drug is working for her or not.  It's amazing.  Wish I were like that. lol  Could be cuz she took drugs in the 60's.  have a faint feeling about that. lol

Anyway, everyone's body is different and you have to learn to "listen" to your body.  I think that's tougher for women to do than men, because we're used to pain (ie childbirth and fighting through pain to accomplish housework, running the household, working and being the everything that everyone else needs.  We tend to ignore our own needs.  Personal opinion of course from my own observations and experience).
IP Logged
Donna_D.
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

OUCH needs volunteers

smileyone1968@yahoo.com  
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 4th, 2004, 4:33pm »

When the doc started me on Verap, I felt the results within a week.

Every body is different...size, weight, tolerance, body chemistry...

Actual results may vary,

DD
IP Logged

The information contained above is for the expressed use of fellow clusterheads and their supporters. Any misuse of this information by any of my "Ex's" is considered to be creepy and a form of harassment and will be duly noted by the ch.com webmaster Tongue
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss