Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 27th, 2024, 12:03am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « How Long ch last without meds »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   How Long ch last without meds
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How Long ch last without meds  (Read 552 times)
marieinthesprings
New Board Newbie
USA 

2 the world U R 1 person,2 1person U R the world

How Long ch last without meds
« on: Dec 3rd, 2004, 4:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

when this cycle hit me I was so unprepared, coz the beast has been asleep for so long, I was a happy pf person. when the cycle hit the pain was tolerable, I thought, no way they are not starting again, its just a bad headache, but they started to wake me every night like clock work and still i refused to see a doc untill the pain got so bad that i finally admited yes dam it they are back.  I am sure I was not at peak cycle when i had this attack but, the one that made me call the doc the next day seem to have lasted all night.  Has anyone else been cought with out meds and how long did it last?....thanks.....Marie
IP Logged
byoung111
New Board Junior
USA 

It's just one of those days!

WWW Email

Re: How Long ch last without meds
« Reply #1 on: Dec 3rd, 2004, 4:23pm »

Hello Marie. Up until last year I never used any meds. My CH have always lasted 30min to an hour and up to 8 weeks long.  When I was on Prednisone the time was still the same, but the cycle lasted an extra month.  And my body didn't agree with me while I was on it. However I was PF for almost 2 years after it. I hope you get something to help Smiley

Brian
IP Logged
Biker
New Board Old Timer
USA 

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: Dec 3rd, 2004, 7:21pm »

Mine have gone anywhere from 20 minutes to hours.  Not sure what the difference is.  Without meds, I am pretty much unable to preform any function.  With only oxygen, I can breathe the gass, relieve the pain for awhile, get somthing partially accomplished, then have to go back to the oxygen.  I have worked at home like this for hours.  If you know anyone with an oxygen/accetlyne welding toarch, you may wish to try breathing that oxygen.  Thats what got me started, and I keep oxygen pretty handy.
IP Logged

Ride it like ya stole it.
the_old_man
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I've had amnesia for as long as I can remember!

« Reply #3 on: Dec 3rd, 2004, 8:39pm »

When I could take the meds, the ch would last 30 to 45 minutes.  Now that I can't take the meds due to heart problems, the ch lasts from 30 to 45 minutes.  The only difference is that without the meds the pain is much more intense.  The biggest problem is not getting a full night's sleep.  I haven't slept through the night since Nov 3.  Three hits a night like clockwork.  The really weird thing that happened last night was that while I was doing my usual pacing to get through it, I actually fell asleep on my feet and fell onto the couch.  Either I fell asleep or I fainted.  It only lasted a few seconds, but it was weird.  No nausea or anything.  Week 5 and counting.

The Old Man
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 3rd, 2004, 8:52pm »

My first cycle went undiagnosed - lasted for about 10 weeks - one truly severe head-banger a night at exactly the same time, lasting 1-2 hours.

My next cycle was classic enough that I was diagnosed after only the 2nd week.  HA's were lasting about 45 min. to 2 hrs. until I got Imitrex injects and started on high-dose Verapamil.  

There's alot of info that leads one to believe that prevents and Trex can lengthen a cycle.  The fact is, even if that's true, I wouldn't ever try to go a cycle without.  The magic is simply too good.

If it's going to be awhile before you can get O2 or meds, you can try Melatonin before bed.  It's helped many, many people here.  Sold OTC - I take 9mg a night when in cycle.

Good luck and many hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Jonny

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 3rd, 2004, 9:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

With no meds.....4-5 HA's in 24 Hrs...1-2 hours each (Everyday)

With meds......4-5 HA's....a month....stop 90% of them in their tracks

.......................................jonny
IP Logged
MzBlackIce
New Board Newbie
USA 

mzblackice2003  

« Reply #6 on: Dec 4th, 2004, 3:33am »

Hi Marie.  I was unprepared this week.  CH number one lasted 2 hrs.  One day of PF...CH number two lasted 4 hrs and kept me home from work because of lack of sleep.  Hope you found something to help you.  
Melissa
IP Logged
cschick

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 4th, 2004, 8:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Marie - I think that we are all different but we can tell you our experiences but don't take any of them for gospel.  I didn't have any meds last year - started mid-September and went for about 6 weeks.  This year I started cycle Oct 1 at 12:45am and haven't stopped yet.  I am on Verapamil and o2 to abort.  I don't know if the meds have anything to do with it or not but I am over 8 weeks with this cycle and had the Beast switch sides on my yesterday.  Always get hit on the right now I'm getting hit on the left.  So really what I am saying is the beast is unpredictable and while we can tell you what works for us and give advice - you have to find what works for you.  READ, READ, READ and decide what you would like to try and get to a Dr.  No need to suffer when there are meds and treatments out there that may work for you!  

Best of luck to you and let us know what happens!
Karen
IP Logged
marieinthesprings
New Board Newbie
USA 

2 the world U R 1 person,2 1person U R the world

« Reply #8 on: Dec 4th, 2004, 10:13am »

Smiley thank you all for your support.  Its so nice to talk to people that understand....take care everyone
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss