Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 2:19am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Different degrees of everyones cluster headaches.. »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Different degrees of everyones cluster headaches..
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Different degrees of everyones cluster headaches..  (Read 3266 times)
jimmiejam
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Different degrees of everyones cluster headaches..
« on: Dec 4th, 2004, 3:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello,  I am new to the site.  Love it.   Anyway,  I believe that I have a milder version of cluster head ache.  Not mild to me but certainly not as bad as what I have read others having.   Let me explain how mine go.
Most of the time I am awakend outta a dead sleep with them but not always.   I notice my right nostirl feels plugged.  I get a pain in the right side of my neck and my right eye is droopy.    Clasic signs but I don't get the pain where I bang my head on the wall or anything.  I do grab my head and rocking seems to help.  Plus scratching my scalp with my fingernails seems to help also.    I cannot go to work when I get them, can't do anything.   When the are happening I do wish I could just chop my head off.  I swear that would make everything fine.  Smiley    Its good to be able to write this to people who understand.  
     Anyway,  I feel bad for those who have to bang their heads against walls or other stuff.   I'm glad mine are not that bad.  
 Just wonder if there are alot of different degrees of cluster headaches?      
     Also I vomit once in awhile when I get them.  I know this is more associated with migraines but do others here also puke while having an attack?
     Thanks for any input.  Jim
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

Re: Different degrees of everyones cluster headach
« Reply #1 on: Dec 4th, 2004, 4:02pm »

Hi Jim.
Welcome to the website.  This site has literally been a lifesaver for me.  A finer group of people you'll never meet anywhere.  Read the links to the left and the stuff on the OUCH website as well.

So how long do your attacks last?  How many per day do you get?  On a scale from 0 - 10 with 10 being the worst pain you could possibly imagine, how bad are they?  How long does your cycle last?

Yes, some people do get nausea with the attacks.   Not many statistically.  

Do you take any meds?  What kinds?

Just full of questions ain't I?  LOL

PFDAN,

Gator
IP Logged
jimmiejam
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Dec 4th, 2004, 4:17pm »

Hi Gator,   They last usually around 4 to 8 hours.  Just one per episode and they do not come on suddenly.  I just had one last Wed. night.  Terrible pain.  Threw up twice.   Could not go to work Thursday.  Still lingering.    Don't really have a cycle to them.   Usually get a few a month.     The pain is probably around 7.     No meds.   I am going to try the water thing first to see if that helps.    I believe the weather plays a role in them.     Thanks,    Jim
IP Logged
Jonny

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 4th, 2004, 4:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Dec 4th, 2004, 4:17pm, jimmiejam wrote:
Hi Gator,   They last usually around 4 to 8 hours.

Meegraines....IMHO
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 4th, 2004, 4:36pm »

Ditto on the meeeeegraines.

Milder Cluster Headaches?

Not familiar with the term.

« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2004, 4:37pm by don » IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #5 on: Dec 4th, 2004, 4:42pm »

I'd have to agree with Jonny.  Your symptoms are more indicative of migraines.  I'd check with your doctor and check out some migraine specific sites.  They would have information geared more toward your type of headache.

This site has a lot of good info.  They put out an e-mail newsletter with the latest updates on treatment and other issues.  Check it out.

http://headaches.about.com/

Good luck.

Gator

IP Logged
jimmiejam
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Why do you guys think that it is migraines.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 4th, 2004, 9:40pm »

and what is the crack about meeegraines?  Just because someone doesn't have as much pain as you guys its funny??     I have about 80% of the symptons of cluster headaches.  Only ones I can really say I don't have is that they come on suddenly plus they don't happen for days at a time.    Are you guys the finally say so?     Thanks gator for the help.  You seem civil.   Jim
IP Logged
becky8

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 4th, 2004, 10:03pm »

Jimmiejam.
Don't pay attention to that. Its just clusters normal last  up to an hour but I have heard they can go 3 hours but never as long as you said. BUT it doesn't mean you don't have them. Pain is pain!! Have seen your doctor yet? And you know what, you would be dam lucky if you DON"T have clusters. What meds are you on now? People here really will help you!! I know I will if I can. Tell me as much as you can and we will start from there. Read the side boards and other post here, even ones from way back. You will find alot of help from them also. Check the OUCH website too. I'm here, I mean WE ARE here for you!

Becky8
IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 4th, 2004, 10:13pm »

Jim, the reason we sau=y these things is because your type of headache is far easier to treat than what the rest of us suffer.  We want to point you in the right direction is all...

Migrains are debilitating, yes...but easier to treat.  Please don't take offence, just know that there are certain criteria that indicates one condition diferential to another, and that lenght of attack, and the sudden onset are two criteria that are indicitive to this this disorder in difference to migraine.
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #9 on: Dec 4th, 2004, 10:14pm »

Yeah jimmie- get a good doc to diagnose you. You may have both. Some folks are a little "uppity" about migraines (You know who you are), but these are good people and will take a bullet for another CH sufferer. Like becky8 said- look around, gather info and get the help you need to treat whatever you have. Pain free wishes to you.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
kimh
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

What don't kill ya makes ya stronger

Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 4th, 2004, 10:15pm »

Hiya....

Well, i dunno ......the symptoms you describe strike me off the bat as migraine, but i am not a doc ( i almost said cock Grin) errrrr, anyhow, (in case no one tole ya = this post stems from a KOOK Grin, but one who knows clusters purdy well) so, where was i? Huh

in any event, yu'll definitely see adoc rite?  keep a log, rite?  cluster cycles form a pattern - a daily pattern that lasts for weeks/months that you will know differentiate from migraine which has a specific pattern similar to what you describe in your post.

Well wishes and let us know how things progress Smiley
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #11 on: Dec 4th, 2004, 10:18pm »

on Dec 4th, 2004, 4:17pm, jimmiejam wrote:
They last usually around 4 to 8 hours.  Just one per episode and they do not come on suddenly.  I just had one last Wed. night.  Terrible pain.  Threw up twice.   Could not go to work Thursday.  Still lingering.    Don't really have a cycle to them.   Usually get a few a month.     The pain is probably around 7.     No meds.

80%?

Sorry you're feeling pain though.

Kevin M

IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #12 on: Dec 4th, 2004, 10:19pm »

Jim, don't take the word meeegraines personally. This is a Cluster Headache site. Dedicated to Cluster Headaches only.

I have to agree with the others that even though you may have 80% of the symptoms for Clusters you may not, at least I hope not, have Cluster Headaches.

Cluster attacks come on suddenly. 5 minutes from the first twinge to full blown agony. The attack will last from 20 minutes to an hour or 90 minutes. Then the pain level drops and in about 5 minutes the level is zero. Maybe a bruised feeling remains. The attack could last 2 hours but that would be very unusual. You say your headaches come on slowly and last 4 to 8 hours. That is not a Cluster Headache. And the vomiting is also unusual but does happen.  

Are we the final say so? Absolutely not. There are no doctors here. We don't make diagnoses. We just state our opinions. And those opinions are based on thousands of replies from thousands of Cluster sufferers for the last 5 years this board has been here. There is more Cluster knowledge and experience here than you will find anywhere in the world.  

Gator gave some good advice. Please continue your search for pain relief. You deserve it.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
survivor13
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

thunderstruck
Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 5th, 2004, 7:14am »

yea man don.t take it personal. truth is most everyone here would probally love to trade with u! but u really need to get the dr. to check u out. make sure your being treated for the right thing.
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 5th, 2004, 9:28am »

Quote:
Jimmiejam.  
Don't pay attention to that.

He better pay A LOT of attention to that. If he has meeeegraines then he needs suggestions for that condition , not cluster headaches.
IP Logged
dagger
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #15 on: Dec 5th, 2004, 12:06pm »

I used to get very nauseous but don't experience that since I got some pain relief from the meds.  I think it was my reaction to the pain.  02, pred., and imitrex have helped me.  I used to lose weight during cycles but now everytime I get out from under the oxygen I head for the fridge!  Sometimes that is 8 times a night.  Doc says pred. increases appetite too.  

dagger
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 5th, 2004, 5:26pm »

Quote:
Doc says pred. increases appetite too.    

Ya think?

Neighbors keep their house pets inside when I'm on the pred.
IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #17 on: Dec 5th, 2004, 5:31pm »

on Dec 5th, 2004, 5:26pm, don wrote:

Ya think?

LMMFAO...candy color compact cars even look tasty.   Undecided
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
cschick

Email

« Reply #18 on: Dec 5th, 2004, 6:25pm »

hey jimmie - check your PM's.  I sent a message that I hope helps.  

I know that everyone is going to get pissed off at this but I don't care.  I am really getting tired of the pissy comments when it comes to someone suffering from migraines.  These people come here looking for help and get attacked because they ask a question.  The survery is helpful but as I suffer from migraines too the symptoms can be a lot alike.  I think it is a little ridiculous that the MEEEGRAINE spelling has to be used.  It could be said a little nicer.  It's not a wonder people post then never turn up again.  WE ARE NOT DOCTORS and shouldn't try to make someone feel like an ass because they don't have the same symptoms as some of you.  As it has been said many times before we are all different, so far from what I have seen there is not one person here who is identical with symptoms, treatments, whatever.  I know I am still a "newbie" but this is my opinion and if you don't like it then so be it, but just remember that at one time you were looking for help too and if someone hadn't reached out to you, you would still be suffering alone and that is my honest opinion.
IP Logged
marlin
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #19 on: Dec 5th, 2004, 6:31pm »

I suggest you look for a neuro that gives a shit about headaches.  I've come across a couple that would invest a whole 3 minutes and prescribe something, usually worthless for CHs and proptly forget my name.

Your symptoms sound like a description of migraines. If you feel better in a dark room and can lie down and fall asleep, your headaches aren't anything like what I suffer from.  If I had a 4-6 hour CH without meds I would look for a high freeway overpass with a lot of traffic underneath to jump from.  Lucky for me meds work these days...
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #20 on: Dec 5th, 2004, 6:37pm »

Quote:
These people come here looking for help and get attacked because they ask a question.

What they get is directions to a site that will help them. This is a CH site.
Have you read the front door to this site? Probably not.

Quote:
I think it is a little ridiculous that the MEEEGRAINE spelling has to be used.

Get over it.

Quote:
so far from what I have seen there is not one person here who is identical with symptoms

Look a little harder.
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2004, 6:41pm by don » IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #21 on: Dec 5th, 2004, 6:46pm »

Now now Don!! Be friends with Mr Manners!! bunnybash
I can see both points of view, yes they are in the wrong place BUT we could be polite enough not to let the door hit them on the ass on their way out.
I get frustrated about people posting about 12 hour clusters too but they have to have heard the term from somewhere to be looking it up and lets face it, when you are in pain you want to know what it is and a name for it.
I agree this site is of no help to people who don't suffer CH but if it makes people more aware of CH they might be more tolerant if they ever work with anyone with it etc.
 My twocents
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

yikes-another-one
New Board Old Timer
USA 

dancenshout2002   joyflheart2004
Email

« Reply #22 on: Dec 5th, 2004, 6:48pm »

Now , now people

It is almost Christmas.

Let's take a deep breath and  

BE NICE!

it's not so hard to put up with a few innocent questions,

Heck, we are all fumbling for answers.

CSChick and I get both types of headaches,
remember these types are like cousins.
Just because one lasts a few minutes and occurs again
for weeks,
and the other lasts for days without an end in sight
doesn't mean we can all be friends....

(Waiting to get hit by Johnny's boot...  better find my
  steel a** jeans for protection....)  laugh

Let's just see what a week may take for this guy.
My first cluster headache cycle only lasted 4 days....
even though the headache came on every day at 8am and 12 and 4pm  the doctor said it had to be a migraine
because clusters last for "months"
also my first few episodes were only k-4....
man I wish I could grab those back...

after 6 years fighting the morphing monster....
well, it is so frustrating...  
 we cannot peg this in one post.

So let's jsut listen, and guide our new friends
 on their path to discovery.

(p.s.  I promise.  I won't get on the soap box too much)
IP Logged

Psalm 23 - Goodness and mercy shall follow US all the days of our lives and WE will dwell in the house of LOVE forever.
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #23 on: Dec 5th, 2004, 6:51pm »

Kindness is a virtue. Sarcasm without humor is just plain mean.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
don

Email

« Reply #24 on: Dec 5th, 2004, 6:53pm »

Gotta love it when someone comes wqaltzing in here and decides what is appropriate and what is not. Seen it a hundred times.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss