Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 7:11pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Sleepless Nights »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Sleepless Nights
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Sleepless Nights  (Read 1649 times)
Sylvan
New Board Veteran
USA 

Sleepless Nights
« on: Dec 14th, 2004, 11:17am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi everyone:

Just wanted some feedback.  

I've been on verapamil/lithium combo for about a week or so now and the frequency/severity of my HA's has changed. Started Verapamil alone about 3 weeks ago.  

Current dosage 300mg Lithium at bedtime and 80 mg Verapamil 3x a day

Before the meds i was getting 1 hit/night - always at 1:30 am and pretty much just shadows during the day - no *bad* HA's - but a persistant dull one. The verapamil slowed them down to about 1 every other night. But i still woke up on the off nights. Just didn't have to dance.  

Now, I am getting  1-2 moderate hits during the day. A few triggered by sudden bright light such as camera flash, or a jerk tailgating me with his/her bright lights on.

The night time hits have been odd though. I still wake up at 1:30 am - but not always with severe pain. Sometimes with no pain other times with a brief- sharp pain that goes away in just a few minutes.  And i'm now also waking up about every 2 hours (w/ & w/out a HA). Sometimes i can get back to sleep - sometimes not.  

It's been about 6 days since i had a real head-banger. I'd say most of the night ones are now a 5-6 and the daytime ones about a 7-8.

I think i've had maybe 1 full night of sleep in the past few weeks.  

Does this mean the meds are helping? If so - why is the frequency increasing?  

Or could i be getting to the end of the cycle? (praying for cycles instead of chronic here as this is still my first series of HA's) I've been dealing with this for almost 6 weeks so far.  

Anyone else experience all of these wake-up calls?  

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Sylvan

IP Logged
Bill-G
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Sleepless Nights
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14th, 2004, 3:20pm »

There is a website that explains the connection between CH and sleep patterns. Written by Dr P. Goadsby, it talks to the connection of Hyothalamus abnormalities in the brain, on the side of the ch. In a nutshell, the Hypothalamus  controlls circadian ryrhms, the 24 hour rythm of the human body. Link is below.  Fyi I got the link from the Headache links section on the left of this page.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/380497.stm

hope it helps

Take care,
 Bill
IP Logged

Had heard about CH and wondered if anything could posiiblly be all that bad. Seriously thinking of having idiot tatoo done on my forehead now
Sylvan
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Dec 14th, 2004, 4:30pm »

Thanks Bill!  

I hadn't yet fully explored all of the links.  

That one is very interesting and it prompted me to google hypothalamus circadian rhythms & headaches. Got a lot of hits and a lot of interesting reading.  

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!  

Sylvan
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 14th, 2004, 6:02pm »

Melatonin Wink

good luck!!
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Sylvan
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Dec 14th, 2004, 6:37pm »

on Dec 14th, 2004, 6:02pm, E-Double wrote:
Melatonin Wink

good luck!!

Ok - I'll revisit this subject since so many people seem to have found that it helps them sleep.  

I tried this a few weeks ago. Only took 1 pill - i forget how many mg - the bottle is at home - but that night was the worst CH night i've ever had - 3 seperate KIP 8 attacks about 1 1/2 - 2 hours apart.  

I did not try taking melatonin again after that.  

Not to sound like a glutton for punishment - but is this a common occurance when first taking melatonin? Or did i have a bad reaction to it?  I certainly don't want to take something that's going to make things worse - unless the long term effects are worth the extra pain.  

I did mention melatonin to both my GP and my neuro - including what happened the one night i took it. They both said - well - don't do that again.  

Sylvan
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 14th, 2004, 6:57pm »

My first time.....

I took just 3 mg....got slammed as usual only I was too groggy to even find my Tank.. Yikes....

Went a couple of more weeks without trying it, for the same reasons you stated, then decided to give it another shot....

6mg ... slept through the night for the first time in month...30 min. after waking up got slammed..but atleast slept..

I have managed to sleep through the night with the exception of 5-6 times since the end of July.

Still getting hit (unfortunately seems that after some breaks here and there I'm back!!anyway... about you...)
But the nights are so much easier since those always tended to be the worst.

Dabble between 6-12mg.....also some say to use time released along with the regular.

I also gave my body a rest from the melatonin after being on it for 4 months. I am just starting to take it again because well I sort of hinted to that.

I love the stuff!!!!
Been the best in my opinion even over all the other stuff because atleast despite the pain I am a bit more sane becasue I sleep.

Good Luck!!!!

Eric (oh yeah...not a doctor Wink but if me I would try it again...I did and.....ZZZZZZZZzzzz's)

IP Logged

Space in-between them
Sylvan
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Dec 14th, 2004, 11:29pm »

Thanks for sharing your experience.  Smiley

I am definately thinking about trying it again - but i want to wait until a night where i don't have to get up at 5:30 am and be functional for a 14 hour shift.  

I may try it again the next time i have a morning that i can sleep in a bit if necessary.  

Sylvan

IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 7:54am »

Good idea...that is exactly what I did!
IP Logged

Space in-between them
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss